Sponsored

How to fit 35 x12.5 inch tires (or 315/70/R17) to narrow-axle, non-lifted Jeep Gladiator on stock wheels?

DrJeep

First Name
Dr. Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Doctor of Mechanical Engineering
Hello everybody, Dr. Jeep here!

This is to help the Jeep community to decide whether they want to run 35s or not for daily driving and light off-roading. I won't be able to respond to individual inquiries but will do my best to add as much information as possible in this post.

There are tons of "opinions" about this topic especially from many max-tow or Rubicon fanatics (we still love you), and so many others who have never tried it but hypothesize about it with confidence. If you have a non-rubicon, non-Mojave, non-max-tow, non-lifted with a narrower axle and would like to try 35s on your rig with NO wheel spacers on stock wheels (7.5 inches wide), please read this carefully.

Does it rub? Yes, it does rub at full lock on the lower control arm. I tried 315/70/R17 (or equivalently 34.6x12.6) Cooper STT pro, mud-terrain which is about 34x12.1 once mounted at 37 psi. I assume here that you already knew that you need to remove or trimmed the air dam filler between your bumper and fender (if your Gladiator came with it). It is an ugly piece anyways, no offense.

Solutions:

1-Forget it. Not recommended.
2-Live with it. You could! at full lock, you are probably moving too slow, and as soon as you felt vibration on your steering wheel (which means rubbing), you can go easier on the steering wheel. I did not like this solution for myself.
3-Add wheel spacers. Not recommended. Keep it factory! and it behooves you to keep your tires tucked in under the fender.
4-Buy new wheels with a more aggressive backspacing to push the wheel out. Not recommended, see item 3 explanation.

Best solution:

-You only need two washers (~2 mm thick) to change and increase the height of your steering stop bolt. See the picture. It will not rub at full lock because you basically change the definition of "full lock".

Pros: Happy going big! enjoy the ride with no rubbing and spend 0$ for fixing your rubbing issue. 35s look even better on Sport models as their fenders are not high up in the sky. Your tires are tucked in (good for offroading), and you are street legal in all states and Canada.

Cons: You increase your turning radius a bit, but it is very negligible, and it will not affect your daily driving.

Please post your rig picture under this post and show us all what you are running and if this post helped you!

Best regards,
Dr. Jeep

IMG_1537.JPEG

IMG_9155.jpg

IMG_9153.jpg
Sponsored

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
Where are the washers?

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs

chithead

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Nice, exactly the dilemma I am facing right now - keep the stock wheels and put 35s on them, or whether to change everything. Just not excited about the cost of aftermarket wheels these days - especially anything that looks halfway decent. Already have two sets of stockers - seems wasteful not to use one of them.

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Thanks for posting, love the Coopers, btw! Bookmarking this for when it's time for new tires, have rubi takeoffs now
Sponsored