Do I need this hood liner?

Midlife_Gladiator

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I have to remove this liner to access my washer nozzles to wrap my hood. This liner is shitty AF. It’s like cardboard held only together by the stuff they painted it with. I know it’s to insulate heat but what about removing it? Why should I put it back? Or are there better aftermarket ones?
Sponsored

Dash68

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR
Occupation
Astronaut
I have to remove this liner to access my washer nozzles to wrap my hood. This liner is shitty AF. It’s like cardboard held only together by the stuff they painted it with. I know it’s to insulate heat but what about removing it? Why should I put it back? Or are there better aftermarket ones?
Early Wranglers didn't come with the hood insulation from the factory. I think Jeep started using the hood insulation on the JK models to reduce engine noise. I still have the insulation on my JKU but a couple of my friends took theirs out early on as it makes a nice home for little critters and is difficult to keep clean from mud. Interestingly, my 2017 Grand Cherokee doesn't have the hood insulation. Also, the aftermarket hoods, such as AEV's heat reduction hood doesn't have the insulation either. So, I'd say you shouldn't need to reinstall it.

OP
OP

Midlife_Gladiator

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Early Wranglers didn't come with the hood insulation from the factory. I think Jeep started using the hood insulation on the JK models to reduce engine noise. I still have the insulation on my JKU but a couple of my friends took theirs out early on as it makes a nice home for little critters and is difficult to keep clean from mud. Interestingly, my 2017 Grand Cherokee doesn't have the hood insulation. Also, the aftermarket hoods, such as AEV's heat reduction hood doesn't have the insulation either. So, I'd say you shouldn't need to reinstall it.
Thanks so much

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
They have been installed on Jeeps off and on for at least 29 years, no not required just cuts engine and road noise. So it's installed on higher trim / limited package vehicles. Something else I have seen a lot of Jeep's with it have shown more paint damage from "sun" than with out.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
They have been installed on Jeeps off and on for at least 29 years, no not required just cuts engine and road noise. So it's installed on higher trim / limited package vehicles. Something else I have seen a lot of Jeep's with it have shown more paint damage from "sun" than with out.
Yep. My '87 Wrangler Laredo had hood insulation.
Sponsored