Sponsored

Do I need to worry about my hood latches that don't lock?

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
There are 12v versions as well... Great for protecting vehicles...

Jeep Gladiator Do I need to worry about my hood latches that don't lock? 1659387067985
Sponsored

ajkaz

First Name
Arun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
What are you worried about? Someone doing an engine swap?
The Jeep thefts that keep happening require access to the fuse box. Most thieves would move on if your hoods locked because of this.

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
One other thing you can have is the Hike IT XS . It has besides it's throttle control a password encrypted feature that will allow to start the motor but will not allow any throttle input so the truck can not be driven off.

OP
OP
Hawkeyes3312

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Update: I purchased the Rugged Ridge locks and have returned them already. I thought they might fit my original criteria for a hood latch, but unfortunately they can be picked in seconds. I suppose I will stick with the OEM latches. I don't want someone messing up my hood if they are after a battery, CAI, etc.

Sponsored

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
The Jeep thefts that keep happening require access to the fuse box. Most thieves would move on if your hoods locked because of this.
I moved out of SoCal :idea:

I forget to take my keys out of the center console when the Jeep is naked sometimes so i'm not really thinking about locking my hood

Good to know though

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
The hood prop thing is pretty awesome if you're working on anything in the engine bay towards the back (windshield side). You get so much room by flipping the hood up until it rests on the windshield. Also our hoods do latch (but not lock). The side latches are the secondary latches. There's a latch in the middle.

A lot of it is heritage, and "it's a jeep thing" really applies. It's cheap enough to change if you don't like it, which is also big in jeep heritage: a huge aftermarket. Also, I think the allure is that so much is not like every other vehicle on the road.

I'm thinking of adding hydraulic struts with a quick disconnect, so I can still flip the hood back if I want to.
The hood flipping all the way back is pretty nice if you need to get into the firewall area and it helps with light. To me it's one of the quirks along with being able to check the oil without unlocking the truck, that make the JTR fun to own. Jeep does stuff different, and it makes the truck unique, I enjoy that facet of ownership. It's kind of silly but you take joy where you get it.
Sponsored