Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
You got yourself a fancy set of calibrated eyeballs?
Seriously, you can't see a 1/4" difference? You have perspective when looking straight down because of the tread, even looking from the front, you have perspective - sight up from the tire.

I put the Rubicon springs under the front and saw right away something wasn't right. I look at the left, then the right, then the left again - hmmm, only 1" and that much shift? Sure enough..... a straight edge and measure over and it was 1/4" more on the left than the right.
Yeah, you can see 1/4" difference.
His is off 1/4" and I could see it from his photos. I did question whether his angle was the same on both sides as far as camera angle as if you are off a little, it skews it, but yes, you can see 1/4" difference pretty easily.

It bugs me because the more off-center the front axle is, the more angle there is on the control arm bushings and uneven push, and every bump ,means the axle moves more than it would normally due to the arc swing of the track bar.

If I do a lift on my next one, it will have an adjustable track bar. (that would also put the steering wheel back in center to some extent)
Sponsored

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Rule #1 - Never measure off the tires. Inconsistencies in mfg tend to create unequal tires.
Rule #2 - Check the wheels.

The best method is to find vehicle centerline (based on frame rails), and measure from the face of the hub to the vehicle centerline.

But all things being equal, and the simplest explanation is usually the correct one, if this happened post-lift, the rear end needs to be moved via trackbar.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
if this happened post-lift, the rear end needs to be moved via trackbar.
The front end as well.......... it's why changes in vehicle height impact the centering of the steering wheel.
Lifts will move the axle off-center. Can't be avoided because the track bar swings down in an arc, not straight down. As it moves down, that outer end also moves to the left, moving the axle with it.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Seriously, you can't see a 1/4" difference? You have perspective when looking straight down because of the tread, even looking from the front, you have perspective - sight up from the tire.

I put the Rubicon springs under the front and saw right away something wasn't right. I look at the left, then the right, then the left again - hmmm, only 1" and that much shift? Sure enough..... a straight edge and measure over and it was 1/4" more on the left than the right.
Yeah, you can see 1/4" difference.
His is off 1/4" and I could see it from his photos. I did question whether his angle was the same on both sides as far as camera angle as if you are off a little, it skews it, but yes, you can see 1/4" difference pretty easily.

It bugs me because the more off-center the front axle is, the more angle there is on the control arm bushings and uneven push, and every bump ,means the axle moves more than it would normally due to the arc swing of the track bar.

If I do a lift on my next one, it will have an adjustable track bar. (that would also put the steering wheel back in center to some extent)
Looks more like 17/64".

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
The front end as well.......... it's why changes in vehicle height impact the centering of the steering wheel.
Lifts will move the axle off-center. Can't be avoided because the track bar swings down in an arc, not straight down. As it moves down, that outer end also moves to the left, moving the axle with it.
Yeah... I can't tell/don't remember which end the pictures were from. Trackbar up front is new to me. ;)

I haven't delved into the Jeep suspension yet (or got a lift) to see if the front and rear trackbars are mounted on the same side (chassis on the left, axle on the right or vice-versa).

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Don't circle track racers deliberately set the wheels a couple of inches to the outside of the turns for stability? Like a outrigger? J/K
Sponsored