Sponsored

Does Rubicon stock suspension sit higher than Sport S?

Fresno69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
I have a Sport S with the RC 2.5” front and 3/4” rear spacer lift on 35’s, my question is: would I benefit much by putting stock Rubicon springs, shocks, etc.. on in place of the S parts. Thanks
Sponsored

Doc B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator, 2006 Buick ,2002 GMC 2500 HD & 6 Harleys
Occupation
Retired HVAC Mec.
I have a Sport S with the RC 2.5” front and 3/4” rear spacer lift on 35’s, my question is: would I benefit much by putting stock Rubicon springs, shocks, etc.. on in place of the S parts. Thanks
I have a 2021 Sport S. 34" tires. I swapped my suspension out for a Rubicon Suspension. It sits Identical ! I was a little disappointed, but, it sure rides better (more firm).

Alans17

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
It’s a complicated question. Not all Rubison springs are created equal. Some are stiffer and will this ride higher than others. If they came from a Rubucon with a lot of heavy options (steel bumpers, etc.) then it probably had stiffer springs to compensate. The same may be true regarding the way the Sport S in optioned, though I’m unsure.

I don’t recall how much I got from doing mine, but I think it was around an inch. I installed the springs plus 1.5” spacer and I think I got 2.5” total inches of lift.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It’s a complicated question. Not all Rubison springs are created equal. Some are stiffer and will this ride higher than others. If they came from a Rubucon with a lot of heavy options (steel bumpers, etc.) then it probably had stiffer springs to compensate. The same may be true regarding the way the Sport S in optioned, though I’m unsure.

I don’t recall how much I got from doing mine, but I think it was around an inch. I installed the springs plus 1.5” spacer and I think I got 2.5” total inches of lift.
Correct.
The springs will vary based on the weight of the truck, which means - was the Rubicon they came from a base Rubicon or one fully loaded with steel bumper, skid plate, etc. etc.
I put Rubicon springs under the front of my Overland, they were the lighter Rubicon springs and I gained all but 1" (about 7/8")
And my Overland had most of the factory Overland options on/in it.

Rubicon front spring pair I bought were 339 and 340. These are among the lighter Rubicon front spring numbers.
I added winch and steel bumper and skid plate and dropped it about .5"
I then put .75" spacers under it to get some of that back.
It ended up about 1.2" higher than a stock Overland

OP
OP

Fresno69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gladiator
Thanks guys for the advice. I’m just trying to get my rear a little stiffer, it sags with any light load.

Sponsored

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Thanks guys for the advice. I’m just trying to get my rear a little stiffer, it sags with any light load.
That's what happens when you try to level it without a load.
It's a truck. If you're going to use it as a truck, get used to the ass end sticking up without a load.
Or spend the money for airbags.

Kevin

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
I have a max tow and added front rubi springs and it almost leveled out the rake. I would say the rubi springs are a lot firmer than the stock front springs.

GladiatoRic

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicon Springs are slightly taller (+_1.5”) but softer than Max tow springs which results in a more bouncy ride. The rubicon shocks are much stiffer than the max tow shocks and add 1/2-3/4” lift alone.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Rubicon Springs are slightly taller (+_1.5”) but softer than Max tow springs which results in a more bouncy ride. The rubicon shocks are much stiffer than the max tow shocks and add 1/2-3/4” lift alone.
How does a shock add lift?
From a shock absorber company -
Despite what many people think, conventional shock absorbers do not support vehicle weight. Instead, the primary purpose of the shock absorber is to control spring and suspension movement.

They are using the word "conventional" because some are sold with springs to add support in the case of extra load or weak springs.

Some claim they give lift, high pressure gas shocks may compensate for a soft or weak spring a bit, but it won't lift and I could compress the shocks I swapped with my own weight.......

I replaced the stock soft overland shocks with Fox Rubicon shocks and it stiffened the ride but can't add lift - and didn't.

GladiatoRic

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
How does a shock add lift?
From a shock absorber company -
Despite what many people think, conventional shock absorbers do not support vehicle weight. Instead, the primary purpose of the shock absorber is to control spring and suspension movement.

They are using the word "conventional" because some are sold with springs to add support in the case of extra load or weak springs.

Some claim they give lift, high pressure gas shocks may compensate for a soft or weak spring a bit, but it won't lift and I could compress the shocks I swapped with my own weight.......

I replaced the stock soft overland shocks with Fox Rubicon shocks and it stiffened the ride but can't add lift - and didn't.
They may have settled over time but immediately after install of just the rubicon fox shocks I measured and gained 1/2” from the ground to the bottom of the rear fenders. I kept my rear max tow springs in the rear and added a 3/4” spacer to the rear springs to level the front rubicon coils (w 1.5” spacers) and rubi shocks to clear 37” tires.

AA87C01A-13EA-4564-9806-907A84F8A0EA.jpeg

3C422DD8-2AE1-465F-822B-7658AA78EA3A.jpeg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There's people in the Taco forums also saying "I put on new shocks and got 1/2" lift and boy the responses back...... shock makers, you name it - shocks don't support.
There's a lot of "what-if's" involved, too. If things were torqued/tightened while the suspension hung down, etc. then the bushings are loaded and will eventually twist back down through distortion. Any time any part of the suspension are replaced or loosened for any reason - shocks, control arms, track bar, you name it, things must be torqued while the vehicle is at rest on the ground and not supported in the air. Otherwise bushing stress can make a vehicle a bit higher but then that is lost as the bushings distort.
Been doing front ends and suspension for quite a few years - shock makers all say the same thing......

I put max tow springs under the rear of my Overland to help prevent the horrible sag with a load in the back or trailer weight. Those are a tad shorter than Overland rears but don't drop as much from the weight of the truck so even with a shorter spring the net loss of height was only about 1/8". I put Rubicon Fox take-offs on the truck to help handle the loads better- and keep things even and from bouncing with a load or trailer. They added nothing at all.
On the front I put in a pair of the softer Rubicon springs and those raised the truck a bit under 1" in the front. Rubicon Fox shocks to help with cornering and less bounce.
In the end, because I later added steel bumper, winch and skid plate, I ended up putting Daystar .75 spacers at all 4 corners.
Because I gained a little height in the front with the springs and spacers it sits with just a little bit less rake but I didn't want the rake totally gone because I do tow now and then and do use it to haul stuff.
Sponsored