Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Someone mentioned the fog lights in an earlier comment. They aren't really fog lights. They are way too high. When you are in a car they are blinding, especially on a lifted Jeep. I have 2 Jeeps and a car, those "fog lights" are blinding to people in cars.
The lights in the bumpers are fog lights -but they must be properly AIMED.
I'd bet that most from the factory are not.
True fog lights don't shine outward very much at all. They should have a cut-off that's just a few feet ahead of the vehicle.
DiodeDynamics, or perhaps it was one other company, had a nice explanation out there on how to aim them and how things should look.

A good fog lamp produces a wide, bar-shaped beam of light with a sharp horizontal cutoff (dark above, bright below) at the top of the beam, and minimal upward light above the cutoff.

From a lighting expert who ended up working for MOPAR -
Almost all factory-installed or dealer-optional fog lamps, and a great many aftermarket units, are essentially useless for any purpose, especially for extremely demanding poor-weather driving. Many of them are too small to produce enough light to make a difference, produce beam patterns too narrow to help, lack a sufficiently-sharp cutoff, and throw too much glare light into the eyes of other drivers, no matter how they're aimed.

Good (and legal) fog lamps may produce white or Selective Yellow light.

Me, personally, I have found white fog lights to be marginal at best in our snow and dense fog situations. The better selective yellow lights, such as from Diode Dynamics or others, give better contrast since in fog and snow everything is already white and you get mostly glare back from white lights.

The very best combination - according to several studies by lighting experts (regardless of what other "experts" say LOL) is a combo of correctly aimed low beam headlights and J2510 spec fog lights.
Sponsored

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
Pass. My headlights are for me to see better, and I'm going to keep them where they help me see and not try to accommodate every possible vehicle height on the road. If headlights are hitting you wrong, look at the painted lines on the road, and keep driving.

[Full disclosure: I'm extremely jaded from driving in Orlando for the past 9 years. People regularly drive in the city with their high beams on, or no lights at all. I don't drive in a culture of people that collectively show that they care about blinding people or making sure they're visible to other drivers for safety.]