Sponsored

Don’t know what to do…advice welcome…

Jeep24MA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Here’s the quick scenario. I have 3 options.

1. Keep my 2018 Durango GT with 49,000 miles on it. Had it since new. Leased it
and then bought it since prices skyrocketed. Needs tires, air filters, brakes/rotors, etc. Maintenance will cost me about $2,000 and then I need to add a hitch to carry 4 bikes so roughly $2,500 total. Also, the radio is starting to “delaminate” and I’m out of warranty so I’m not sure what that will run me when it needs to be fixed. I owe about $24K on it and it’s worth $30K. It’s gonna take me about 4 and a half years to pay it off probably.

2. Trade the Durango for a Gladiator and not have to worry about all the maintenance and unknown of the Durango.

3. Trade the Durango for a Ram 1500. The Wife has a Grand Cherokee just for reference.

Thanks for any help/advice!
Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
With option 1, if you need to keep it. Take a look at a service called affirm. I use them for a lot of large purchases over the years. They finance you with 3 / 6 / 12months at a fixed interest rate. Makes large repair bills a LOT easier to stomach and work into a budget. Example: I financed my wifes extended warranty. I financed $1,530 and they charged me an additional $99 in interest. So yea i paid a little more. But the $135/ month payment is far more affordable than the $1530 on my budget. And I don’t pay compound interest, and have no pre payment penalties if I decide to pay it off early.

-+-i am in no way affiliated with affirm. I just truly like their service and having them as an option has helped me a lot over the years-+-

with options 2/3 of course we are all going to say gladiator!

BUT

im curious what is the driving force behind the swap from an SUV to a truck? I ask because the gladdy and the ram are both trucks…but each has its own set of stuff its better with. So what is the push to own a truck?

OP
OP

Jeep24MA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
With option 1, if you need to keep it. Take a look at a service called affirm. I use them for a lot of large purchases over the years. They finance you with 3 / 6 / 12months at a fixed interest rate. Makes large repair bills a LOT easier to stomach and work into a budget.

with options 2/3 of course we are all going to say gladiator!

BUT

im curious what is the driving force behind the swap from an SUV to a truck? I ask because the gladdy and the ram are both trucks…but each has its own set of stuff its better with. So what is the push to own a truck?
Thanks! Well, always wanted a truck and the wife has a Grand Cherokee so two SUV’s in the household. Not towing anything, but just normal homeowner needs and it comes in handy when you need it.

Sponsored

Fox940

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator, 2010 Power Wagon, 1958 Willys p/u
Thanks! Well, always wanted a truck and the wife has a Grand Cherokee so two SUV’s in the household. Not towing anything, but just normal homeowner needs and it comes in handy when you need it.
Why does your profile say you have a 2020 Gladiator?

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
if thats the case then i think it would come down to size. The gladdy is smaller and may, or may not, fit the family. Its a jeep so it has the added benefit of doors and top off..which is a fun factor the ram wont have.

IMO jeeps get in your blood and once you have one, youll want one forever. My suspicion is youd be a happy fella with another JT

Fouts

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Truck Driver
Never could understand how someone could buy a vehicle and have it turn out to be a lemon, then even consider buying another.

Sponsored

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Here’s the quick scenario. I have 3 options.

1. Keep my 2018 Durango GT with 49,000 miles on it. Had it since new. Leased it
and then bought it since prices skyrocketed. Needs tires, air filters, brakes/rotors, etc. Maintenance will cost me about $2,000 and then I need to add a hitch to carry 4 bikes so roughly $2,500 total. Also, the radio is starting to “delaminate” and I’m out of warranty so I’m not sure what that will run me when it needs to be fixed. I owe about $24K on it and it’s worth $30K. It’s gonna take me about 4 and a half years to pay it off probably.

2. Trade the Durango for a Gladiator and not have to worry about all the maintenance and unknown of the Durango.

3. Trade the Durango for a Ram 1500. The Wife has a Grand Cherokee just for reference.

Thanks for any help/advice!
Will cost you way less just to do the maintenance on the Durango, but if you’re feeling the itch to buy a gladiator just do it!

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Everyone will likely tell you JT because well this is JT forum and we all have them and for the most part everyone loves having their JT. I have had both a Ram 1500 and now Jeep Gladiator. I would say a lot depends on the age of your kids. Just from having kids and both vehicles and somewhat doing very similar to you in moving bikes, gear, etc around. Just my honest opinion if the kids are young and not leaving the nest or moving into their own vehicles anytime soon or perhaps big in size go with the Ram. Not that the JT can't handle it just having all that extra space, etc really does come in handy and works well for a family of 4 hauling things around using just the truck.
I still miss all that space from mine when hauling around my kayak and gear but would likely never go back as I am just enjoying the JT far to much and my kid is in her own car now so the truck is mostly just for me.

OP
OP

Jeep24MA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Will cost you way less just to do the maintenance on the Durango, but if you’re feeling the itch to buy a gladiator just do it!
You’re probably right. But then I think another 4 and a half years of payments plus the maintenance. How much “no car payment” driving will I have in a 8 to 9 year old car. Might be worth it to roll the dice. Thanks!

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
You’re probably right. But then I think another 4 and a half years of payments plus the maintenance. How much “no car payment” driving will I have in a 8 to 9 year old car. Might be worth it to roll the dice. Thanks!
Oh I thought it was already paid off, in that case, might as well trade it in and get the gladiator
Sponsored