Dumb question - Manual Locks?

Sal's Dad

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
So my truck is 4 weeks ordered, and somewhere in the queue. Since I can't play with it yet, I am spending WAY too much time on this (and lesser) forums.

Reading about the key fob craziness, it occurred to me, I have no idea how the various doors and tailgate lock and unlock. No power locks on my truck, but there is no useable key? How does that work? it it a buttonless fob? I tried to find a similarly equipped truck to check out before ordering, but there were no base models at any dealer around here.

Forgive the ignorance; this is my first vehicle with a key fob (but my wife's Volvo has a great feature: You can push the "stop" button, remove the "key" from the dashboard, exit the vehicle, close and lock the door. THEN discover the the engine is still running, and transmission in gear! ; ) One more reason to hate automatic transmissions.

Now I am getting nervous about the entertainment system - I didn't see a two-knob/5 preset radio in the option list. Nor an 8-track...
Sponsored

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yes
There is a key on the fob. It comes out when you press the little silver button in the corner. It's kind of like a switch blade knife.

Jeep Gladiator Dumb question - Manual Locks? IMG_7899

On your truck you'd simply insert this key into the key hole like any regular vehicle.

OP
OP

Sal's Dad

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Are there locks on both front doors and tailgate? And is there a simpler fob? (I have no idea what that middle button could be ;)

reutereutebh

First Name
Ven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT-Overland ā€˜20 and JKU-Sport ā€˜16
Locks on the front doors only and lock on tailgate. The fob has a pushbutton so the key comes out but it doesnā€™t have any buttons on it. Iā€™d post a picture but right now my jeep is getting body work done after I hit a turkey on the interstate taking out the radiator, condenser and front grillā€¦ The turkey did not survivešŸ¦ƒšŸ‘Ž

u-joint

First Name
Inigo Montoya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Yes
Are there locks on both front doors and tailgate? And is there a simpler fob? (I have no idea what that middle button could be ;)
Yes, both front doors and the tailgate will have keyholes. Regardless of trim level this is the same for all our trucks.

There is a simpler fob, but it will still be the same physical size. They just remove buttons. Sounds like yours will come with no buttons at all.

For what itā€™s worth the middle button on mine is for the remote engine start feature.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
They all have key holes in the front doors just below the door handles - in case the battery goes dead, electrical failure of any sort - there's still a way to get in.

redfish

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT
Occupation
Strategic Account Executive
I have a base , you will get same size key fobs with no buttons on them just plain brick. As mentioned two front doors and tailgate have key holes. Also the glove box , center console and back seat seat back all have key holes that are lockable. Rear seat lock the back up in the upright position so you can put stuff behind it. I have a soft top so i never lock my doors. I do have a gator hard tonneau cover that you cant open if the tailgate is locked.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
The FOB contains the RFID chip, transmitter, and battery for the ignition system, along with the buttons and electronics for any additional options. With a base truck, you'll get a simple FOB with no buttons, but it will be the same size as everyone else's.