Sponsored

Ecodiesel vs gas engine for a Gladiator Sport S ?

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Manual v6 is gutless especially with jeep on big tires. So automatic will be it and diesel is $4k option.

I am pretty sure i get close to $4k on resale than gas counter part. Look up used car sale website for diesel jeep.

$4000 is way cheaper than those upgrades u mentioned, and please factor the down time and dropping off time to get the vehicle modded.

Diesel is not perfect, have its own issues but the torque to hit speed limiter without trying... Tell that to stock gas owners.

Diesel haters will always hate....
For most folks, you're right, it's $4000 more (still a lot), but there are enough of us manual buyers left to justify my saying $4-6000 more. I stand my my statement: if you want the torque, get the diesel. But make sure that's worth the money for you. It just wasn't for me. It was for you. We all have different priorities. That's not hate. I like diesels.
I drive my manual on 35s every single day. Yes 37s would be different. But I've driven 23500 mountain miles on it in about a year. It's not fast, but it ain't bad. No regrets. For me, it's fine with 4.1s. So I guess gutless for you is fine for me. If I ever feel the need to regear, I'd still have to stick with the gasoline engine, because it's the only one I can get with a stick. I know it's slower than the diesel. Just really don't care that much. I've had plenty of fast cars. I don't care that this one isn't quick. It's fun as heck. So for me, it was a $6000 option.

I wheel with diesels pretty often. No hate here. I just like cars/trucks, of all makes, models, and propulsion systems. I bought the best gladiator for me, as you did also, in your diesel. If you like it, I love it. Glad you're happy. I know the diesel is cheaper than those upgrades. My point was just that most people aren't changing all that (especially the supercharger). Some with deeper pockets than me are doing it, sure. I used to mod the heck out of my vehicles. For this one, 35s and spacer lift are all I have and all I need.

No one ever said "please... give me less torque," haha. But for my use, the gasser is adequate, even on larger tires, and it met my price point, and it allowed me to keep my dinosaur transmission. Not saying I wouldn't love the diesel torque. I would.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

PadreANT

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
Pastor
I looked hard at the EcoDiesel when I ordered my truck, but my concerns were mostly with my commute times. It's about 5 miles / 7 minutes to where I work, and even most of my local running is only 20 minutes to my destination. Everything I read said this isn't the best situation for the EcoDiesel to be in as it doesn't always have time to warm up properly and rarely has time to regen.

I drove a few 3.6L Gladiators (a 3.73 Willys and a 4.10 Mojave) and settled on a Sport Max Tow (4.10 gears). I was pretty happy with how they performed.

Keep in mind, I'm coming from a JK Wrangler with 88K on it, it was no rocket ship with the old 5 speed auto and 3.73's, but it has done fine by me over the last 6 years.
So this is my biggest concern with the Diesel as well ... My daily commute to and from work is about 15 minutes each way, and I am concerned with the performance over the daily short commutes, more than the times I'll be taking it on longer trips ...

Randonexplosion

First Name
Randon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
So this is my biggest concern with the Diesel as well ... My daily commute to and from work is about 15 minutes each way, and I am concerned with the performance over the daily short commutes, more than the times I'll be taking it on longer trips ...
It can be a problem, depending on the speeds that you drive. My commute to work is about 3 minutes if I hit a couple of red lights out of the 5 that I cross. My filter fills up pretty quickly so sometimes I have to keep driving to clear it. I use my truck for work as well so as long as I hit the highway for 10-15 minutes it will usually passive regen on its own.

Larry D

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator on order
The number that go to forced induction is extremely low. The number that regear is higher, but still pretty low. Most gladiators are on stock gears and stock engines. I am. Every single other gladiator I've seen whose owner I've talked with in real life, except one 5.7 hemi swap, is too. Diesel is worth more on the trade because it costs more in the first place. A diesel costs $4-$6000 more new, so it better be worth more on the trade
Since he's talking a sport s he gets the 600 limited slip for free. And that makes it 3400 for the diesel.
Sponsored