Sponsored

3.0L EcoDiesel vs 3.6L Gasoline

If both the 3.0L EcoDiesel and the 3.6L Gasoline engine were available -what would you choose?

• 3.0L EcoDiesel

• 3.6L Gasoline

Results are only viewable after voting.

Sgt Beavis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UL Unlimited Sport S
IMO diesels are loud and smelly... I am curious as to how many folks will enjoy being behind a diesel on the trails... cough cough...
And diesel fumes are very bad to breathe...
I say this respectfully and not trying to be an a-hole, but those statements make me thing you haven’t owned, or even driven, a diesel in a very long time. They certainly used to be that way, but they got better. They got A LOT better.
Sponsored

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport
I say this respectfully and not trying to be an a-hole, but those statements make me thing you haven’t owned, or even driven, a diesel in a very long time. They certainly used to be that way, but they got better. They got A LOT better.
You ma be right...the ones I am behind stuck in traffic must be the older ones then.

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do, however, work where school buses will line up and drop off kids for certain events. Granted some of the buses may be older but many are new. Same smelly fumes.
Btw I have driven school buses.
Maybe the diesels are better on personal vehicles.... but I will say with the gas burner.

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
The Italian Diesel They plan to put in the GladIator, has a high odds it will be unreliable, costly, and lucky to last 100,000 miles. No reason FCA doesn't go with a Cummins. If you don't want the hassle go with gas til the FCA diesel and been road tested over time and proven it is a reliable engine, My bet is it wont pass
What do you base that statement on?

This Italian diesel, albeit, 3rd gen modified is the same engine that FCA has been using since 2014. I have one.... it's about to turn 104K miles and has not had any issues (knock on wood). My neighbor has one with 97k miles, only issue he has had was exhaust system which was replaced under warranty (knock the wood again). So are we just lucky? I don't think so, unlike say overheated BMW's, I haven't seen a single EcoDiesel for sale on Craigslist as a Mechanics Special.

Not bashing you, just believe you have been fed some erroneous information causing you to form a misguided opinion.:like:

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
You mean back hole...... top, front, and back are the new liberal terms for those locations did you not see the memo......:facepalm:

Jeez ... we need to figure out how to keep republicans in office for the next billion years

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
You mean back hole...... top, front, and back are the new liberal terms for those locations did you not see the memo......:facepalm:

Jeez ... we need to figure out how to keep republicans in office for the next billion years
:CWL::CWL::CWL::CWL:

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
IMO diesels are loud and smelly... I am curious as to how many folks will enjoy being behind a diesel on the trails... cough cough...

You obviously don’t know much about diesel vehicles built after 2012 or so.

We currently have 2 diesel vehicles; a 2014 Grand Cherokee and a 2016 F-350. Both of those vehicles you can hardly hear the motor and that’s the way it is in all modern diesels.

As another point of information the current International tractors (i.e. tractor trailers) have cleaner air coming out of their exhausts than the ambient air in downtown LA during the summer....

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I do, however, work where school buses will line up and drop off kids for certain events. Granted some of the buses may be older but many are new. Same smelly fumes.
Btw I have driven school buses.
Maybe the diesels are better on personal vehicles.... but I will say with the gas burner.
Large commercial vehicles have some regulations on exhaust, but are not subject to the more stringent emissions requirements for cars and light trucks. The exhaust can get bad, especially if there's a group of them parked and running. It's much better on the ones that use CNG.

Rav34653

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinto
Vehicle Showcase
What do you base that statement on?

This Italian diesel, albeit, 3rd gen modified is the same engine that FCA has been using since 2014. I have one.... it's about to turn 104K miles and has not had any issues (knock on wood). My neighbor has one with 97k miles, only issue he has had was exhaust system which was replaced under warranty (knock the wood again). So are we just lucky? I don't think so, unlike say overheated BMW's, I haven't seen a single EcoDiesel for sale on Craigslist as a Mechanics Special.

Not bashing you, just believe you have been fed some erroneous information causing you to form a misguided opinion.:like:
QUOTE: ''Chrysler had been kicking around the idea of offering two diesel engines for its half-ton Ram pickup since before 2007. Cummins, Chrysler's right-hand-engine manufacturer since 1989, that breathes diesel, designed the two options but ultimately was not involved with the end result: the ecodiesel, which was released in 2014. However instead of the brand "Cummins" stamped on the engine block it was VM Motori, an Italian engine manufacturer that Chrysler acquired back in 2013. The product was a 3.0-liter V6 diesel that spits out 240 horsepower.It also shakes the ground at 420 lb ft of torque, boasts 28 mpg and tows over 9,000 pounds. It sounds good on paper, but there could be trouble lurking ahead for prospective ecodiesel owners. There have been reports on several forums of engine failure at low miles due to cam gear slippage, and indeed ecodiesel owners have recognized it as a serious problem. While it's a controversial subject, not every owner has experienced it. Nonetheless, new owners should still take heed.''

This was 2016 article, I would not Trust FCA has addressed the issues completly or to have its customers best interest First.
Higher profits are most likely why They didn't go with Cummins, I don't have the data but reports of FCA EcoDiesel engines's failing are real some reports say 16 to 19 failure's per week and Everyone one considering one should know the Risk ,Not everyone is Lucky

RH 67

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Rubicon Gladiator, Alfa Romeo Quad
Occupation
Retired DOD, Army SF, SS.
Here in Cali. diesels require an inspection every other year, it`s not only for smog but the entire system from engine to tail pipe and it will be the norm across the country and after 5 years the inspection is yearly. Just another expense.

I have two diesels a 2017 MB 4x4 Sprinter Van and a 2019 F-250, the Sprinter had to go in for inspection this year.

The Gladiator is such a small truck i really do not see the need or expense of a diesel, where i live diesel is almost a dollar more than regular per gallon so $15 to $20 more per fill up compared to gas. If your in the need for that much torque than a full size diesel truck would be a better option. The diesel also tows less so where is the benefit. The diesel is an expensive option that only continues to get more expensive with ownership. But it sure looks good on paper.

Sponsored

CbtEngr8591

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubi
We currently have 2 diesel vehicles; a 2014 Grand Cherokee .......
my 2014 just starting throwing a P026C code with 80k miles, in for injector cleaning. Have you checked your tube going into the exhaust manifold? might want too, looks like brownies ..

Rocksalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You obviously don’t know much about diesel vehicles built after 2012 or so.
Riiight

We currently have 2 diesel vehicles; a 2014 Grand Cherokee and a 2016 F-350. Both of those vehicles you can hardly hear the motor and that’s the way it is in all modern diesels.

As another point of information the current International tractors (i.e. tractor trailers) have cleaner air coming out of their exhausts than the ambient air in downtown LA during the summer....

Karnaj

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Town & Country, 2002 Camry, 2003 Grand Am, 2021 Deisel JTR.
Occupation
Union Electrician
Here in Cali. diesels require an inspection every other year, it`s not only for smog but the entire system from engine to tail pipe and it will be the norm across the country and after 5 years the inspection is yearly. Just another expense.
Let's be fair, the same standards apply for gas engines as far as smog tests. Don't make it sound like diesel is at a disadvantage using lack of proper comparison just to make your point look valid.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Let's be fair, the same standards apply for gas engines as far as smog tests. Don't make it sound like diesel is at a disadvantage using lack of proper comparison just to make your point look valid.

NEW non diesels have a 5 year grace period

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
NEW non diesels have a 5 year grace period
Here, you get the initial registration plus one year for new cars. After that, gas and diesel vehicles have to pass a yearly smog test. Used cars have to pass a smog test to get registered, and then yearly until they are twenty years old and can be registered as a Classic.
Sponsored