Sponsored

Ecodiesel vs gas engine for a Gladiator Sport S ?

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
What's this so called maintenance on a diesel? Oil filter, fuel filter, air filter. Gasser, Oil filter, air filter, spark plugs. I don't see any difference in maintenance between the 2.
Sponsored

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator Willie's ecodiesel
Occupation
Union electrician
Yes letā€™s do this again!! Eco diesel win! Go! Fuel efficiency
Torque
Awesome in every way!
Mine leaks oil and I still love it! ā€¦ the truck not the oil leak. I get 29mpg commuting and 15 towing my nobo19.3
When i start it I hear the rattle and go yup thatā€™s my baby

OP
OP

PadreANT

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
Pastor
What's this so called maintenance on a diesel? Oil filter, fuel filter, air filter. Gasser, Oil filter, air filter, spark plugs. I don't see any difference in maintenance between the 2.
I have read that the oil changes are more expensive compared to a gasser, and that the emissions system is expensive to repair if it goes bad outside of warranty ... That kind of stuff ...

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union electrician
All lies . Oil change interval is longer and yea it cost more then a gas burners oil change. But you can go 10k before you do one ā€¦. If your spending the coin on a diesel then the def better not even be in your equationā€¦ def is nothing. 40 bucks every 5 to 7k miles ?? If you canā€™t afford or justify that extra cost then you shouldnā€™t even look at a diesel..or a gladiator for that matter lol. Same with cost of oil change and fuel filter. Itā€™s a couple hundred bucks every few months. Driving a diesel is a whole different driving experience Iā€™m my opinion. If you have the means there is no reason not to get one. The emissions equipment is expensive but itā€™s also covered to 100k. And honestly itā€™s not that much more then the dealer will charge you for replacing the coil packs on a gasser or the fuel pump when it goes out cuz you canā€™t easily service the gas fuel filter. I think I last did my oil air and fuel filter for around 200 in my driveway. That will last me awhile.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I have read that the oil changes are more expensive compared to a gasser, and that the emissions system is expensive to repair if it goes bad outside of warranty ... That kind of stuff ...
That's all true, and not mentioned often. I drove a Duramax diesel with an Allison transmission for over 13 years. It was a great combination. Due to all the added emissions requirements, I no longer have any desire for a diesel engine. So far, the gas engine in my Overland has worked well and meets my needs.

Sponsored

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union electrician
So I read the whole post and comments, and it seems overwhelming positive about the eco-diesel, as long as you do your part and keep up with the maintenance. It seemed towards the end there was someone who has some overheating issues, but it seemed like it was just his situation ... I didn't see any "me too" posts about this ... So, maybe it will be worth it, even though here in PA, diesel is about $1.15 more per gallon than gas ... Thanks for the link.
As far as the over heating issue well they /we have an entirely different thread for that lol.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
9 qts vs 5 qts. Diesel oil filter $52.99. (think price will come down once supply catches up with the demand) Gasser oil filter $11.00.

So is a cat that goes bad. Wouldn't want to replace either one.

Akgladiator

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee
I'm just wondering if it is worth the extra expense in both up front cost, fuel costs (diesel is about $1.15/gallon more than gas where I live), and the added cost for oil changes ...
There is absolutely no substitute for torque on diesel gladiator.

I have followed all the gas gladiators owners who ended either forced induction or, gear ratios changes or engine swap because they went with bigger wheels. And those upgrades could cost more than $4000 upgrade for diesel engine.

$4000 buys u diesel torque and warranty. Also higher residual values.

I have banged into speed limiter countless of times. I doubt gas engine can reach speed limiter without major push or gear and upgrades.

Now you will have bunch of culess max tow owners chipping in about how good their 4.10 is, now they are just simply delusional... Gladiators should be equipped with 4.56 as minimum for gas engine.

Price for max tow option is better factor into diesel cost.

Also many gas owners have issues with misfires, oil leaks... Etc. Diesel aint perfect but the enjoyment is much more than gas!

raypla

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD Stingray
Occupation
Facility Planner
Go drive both, merge on the highway, then report your results.

Marlinvx

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTD, 2022 Audi Q3 S line
Occupation
Retired Navy, current Engineer
Just went from a max tow 2020 sport s to a 2022 sport s diesel. Getting >25 mpg in ecoD. My 2020 maybe got 20 stock, and 12-14 mpg once I went to 35s. The ecoD is a race car, and that is without a tuner or anything.

Sponsored

Glad_he_ate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Union electrician
Actually if you read it all we are a cult within a cult. Donā€™t be nervous, take a sip. Itā€™s really good when you get over that bitter aftertaste.

Vtur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTOD
Go drive both, merge on the highway, then report your results.
Lol. This was exactly on how i went with the diesel. I didn't care about the cost different after that back to back to back test drive.

The gasser reminded me of my Honda Element, always wishes that it's a V6.

Last edited:

Mav4x4Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Truck Builder
I looked hard at the EcoDiesel when I ordered my truck, but my concerns were mostly with my commute times. It's about 5 miles / 7 minutes to where I work, and even most of my local running is only 20 minutes to my destination. Everything I read said this isn't the best situation for the EcoDiesel to be in as it doesn't always have time to warm up properly and rarely has time to regen.

I drove a few 3.6L Gladiators (a 3.73 Willys and a 4.10 Mojave) and settled on a Sport Max Tow (4.10 gears). I was pretty happy with how they performed.

Keep in mind, I'm coming from a JK Wrangler with 88K on it, it was no rocket ship with the old 5 speed auto and 3.73's, but it has done fine by me over the last 6 years.

Tanners Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Retired Soldier and DAC
For me the gasser is fine. My mileage is trending ~22mpg.

my gladiator is stock except for the RLD canopy, step rails and seat cover.

this rig does everything I want and is more nimble than my Ram 1500 crew cab I had previously.

I briefly considered a diesel, but for my needs, the cost didnā€™t make sense. Again, for my needs. Yours may be / are likely different
Sponsored