Sponsored

Ecodiesel vs gas engine for a Gladiator Sport S ?

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
If I was buying new I'd go diesel.

That said I seriously considered trading my gas rubi for an equivalent diesel and after driving them both, there just wasn't a giant wow factor to me with the diesel other than the better mileage. It was faster for sure but maybe I'm just spoiled by my wife's 4xe which is 392 fast to 30 and instant torque. The diesel wasn't worth the money loss in the trade to me.
Sponsored

Akgladiator

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee
If I was buying new I'd go diesel.

That said I seriously considered trading my gas rubi for an equivalent diesel and after driving them both, there just wasn't a giant wow factor to me with the diesel other than the better mileage. It was faster for sure but maybe I'm just spoiled by my wife's 4xe which is 392 fast to 30 and instant torque. The diesel wasn't worth the money loss in the trade to me.
Diesel always worth more in trade.

All the gasser owners claimed their gassers are adequate always ended up changing gear axles, force induction..etc stop kidding yourselves!

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red

All the gasser owners claimed their gassers are adequate always ended up changing gear axles, force induction..etc stop kidding yourselves!
Not 4k more in trade, more like 2k. It was gonna cost me 6k between the 4k diesel option and price increases. When it came down to it I could take 2k, regear to get me stock diesel performance on my 39s (with less mpgs of course) and then have 4k to put back in my pocket.

My main purpose of trading for the diesel was gonna be for performance not mpg and after driving it I just wasn't wow'd. It was far from the rocketship people claim it to be. I was looking for it to feel like my wife's 4xe and it really felt more like 3.72 vs 4.10s gassers than that.

India-ThreeZeroThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport, 1995 YJ Cummins R2.8
Occupation
Retired slug. Drive RVs to Alaska
Did you Google 3.0 Ecodiesel yet. ? While doing that Google CP4.

N83

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Prior Duramax owner here. I finally sold it with 170k on the clock to get my Gladiator. The emission system had left meā€ strandedā€ twice. Each time was right before a big road trip, essentially taking the truck out of service. The DEF heater went out, immediately counting down to limp mode. Granted, this didnā€™t happen until 150k miles the first time, so maybe only a concern for you guys that plan on putting serious miles on your Jeeps.

And yes, not quite apples to apples but itā€™s only a matter of time for certain systems to fail. The sucky part of emissions systems failing is that itā€™s one of only a few things on a vehicle thatā€™ll sideline you in a hurryā€¦

Sponsored

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs

The number that go to forced induction is extremely low. The number that regear is higher, but still pretty low. Most gladiators are on stock gears and stock engines. I am. Every single other gladiator I've seen whose owner I've talked with in real life, except one 5.7 hemi swap, is too. Diesel is worth more on the trade because it costs more in the first place. A diesel costs $4-$6000 more new, so it better be worth more on the trade

Last edited:

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
All lies . Oil change interval is longer and yea it cost more then a gas burners oil change. But you can go 10k before you do one ā€¦. If your spending the coin on a diesel then the def better not even be in your equationā€¦ def is nothing. 40 bucks every 5 to 7k miles ?? If you canā€™t afford or justify that extra cost then you shouldnā€™t even look at a diesel..or a gladiator for that matter lol. Same with cost of oil change and fuel filter. Itā€™s a couple hundred bucks every few months. Driving a diesel is a whole different driving experience Iā€™m my opinion. If you have the means there is no reason not to get one. The emissions equipment is expensive but itā€™s also covered to 100k. And honestly itā€™s not that much more then the dealer will charge you for replacing the coil packs on a gasser or the fuel pump when it goes out cuz you canā€™t easily service the gas fuel filter. I think I last did my oil air and fuel filter for around 200 in my driveway. That will last me awhile.
It's all lies that the diesel takes 60% more oil and its oil filter is 5x more expensive on a diesel and DEF exists? Also since when is the diesel oil change interval longer? Both the diesel and gasser are 10k/1yr

Driving a manual is a whole different driving experience. Driving a diesel is just "same car but faster". If they ever offer the faster engine in a manual, i'll gladly consider it no matter what fuel it uses. Until then, no thanks.

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Diesel all the way....love this little diesel, of course Ive had/have several other big diesels and I will never go back....

onebad427

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willy's ecodiesel
Occupation
driver
Diesel all the way....love this little diesel, of course Ive had/have several other big diesels and I will never go back....
That last line says it all for me. I've owned diesels since 2004. i tried a couple times to go back to a gasser, and they all feel like there's something wrong with them when you try to pull a hill after driving diesels. I'll pay the extra to not have to beat on it to climb a grade.

maligator

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD Willys 2021 Hyundai Veloster N DCT
Occupation
Programmer
I have the willies (sport s) with ecodiesel and have not had any problems. I have had it 1 year and only have 6k miles on it. I like it and don't tow much more than you mentioned and it's fine. Not sure I would get it again today given diesel prices but it's a neat car. I leased so I don't really care about long term reliability so your experience may vary. Remember you are only going to mostly find the worse experiences people have in these cars online and for every exploding on fire car in a forum there are hundreds/thousands of people that are driving around without that happening.

Sponsored

M3r1c4

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Occupation
IT Manager
I was wondering if anyone has any experience/ideas about getting the ecodiesel vs the gas on a Gladiator Sport S ... this will be a daily driver, but will also tow a camper of no more than 3,000 lbs. weight.
Like many other have said there are many opinions.
My family has two JT ECOs and we both love them.
We tow in MI mostly so it's not flat but no mountains either.
It seems as though mountains and extreme heat is what hurts performance.
I had a 2015 JK with 5.67 gears and 35s and I hated towing with that.

Our JTs now pull 4-6K campers with NO issues where we are.
1800-2100 RPMs.

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
The only reason I have a V6 is because I wanted the manual. The V6 is my least favorite thing about the JT. Itā€™s gutless down low, doesnā€™t like to rev, and generally lacks punch throughout the rev range. It is a terrible engine for a truck or Jeep. Even with my 4.10 Mojave I can barely use 6th gear because it wonā€™t hold speed, and in Ozark hills Iā€™m often in 4th to maintain 65-70 MPH. Iā€™m on stock suspension and tires and am already planning to re-gear, and will eventually consider a supercharger if that doesnā€™t help. Would I have picked another engine if I could, hell yes. If I was buying with an automatic I would absolutely elect for a diesel or 4XE if available. Hell the rental Jeeps Iā€™ve had with the turbo 4-cylinder are even better than the V6.

Divided_Wood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Rubicon EcoDiesel
I have the willies (sport s) with ecodiesel and have not had any problems. I have had it 1 year and only have 6k miles on it. I like it and don't tow much more than you mentioned and it's fine. Not sure I would get it again today given diesel prices but it's a neat car. I leased so I don't really care about long term reliability so your experience may vary. Remember you are only going to mostly find the worse experiences people have in these cars online and for every exploding on fire car in a forum there are hundreds/thousands of people that are driving around without that happening.
Yep, an important point to remember for all issues people post about on this forum. ā€œMy truck has worked great for 4 years with no issuesā€ makes for a boring post. The most outspoken people on the forums are going to be the ones with issues which always makes it look like huge problems are more prevalent than they actually are.

Akgladiator

Banned
Banned
First Name
Ak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Gladiator Wrangler Camaro Mustang GXP Taurus
Occupation
Bee
The number that go to forced induction is extremely low. The number that regear is higher, but still pretty low. Most gladiators are on stock gears and stock engines. I am. Every single other gladiator I've seen whose owner I've talked with in real life, except one 5.7 hemi swap, is too. Diesel is worth more on the trade because it costs more in the first place. A diesel costs $4-$6000 more new, so it better be worth more on the trade
Manual v6 is gutless especially with jeep on big tires. So automatic will be it and diesel is $4k option.

I am pretty sure i get close to $4k on resale than gas counter part. Look up used car sale website for diesel jeep.

$4000 is way cheaper than those upgrades u mentioned, and please factor the down time and dropping off time to get the vehicle modded.

Diesel is not perfect, have its own issues but the torque to hit speed limiter without trying... Tell that to stock gas owners.

Diesel haters will always hate....

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
I liked the low end torque of the old inline 6 4.0 of my XJ, the modern JT 3.6 is nothing close to that experience, you had to wind it up to get a similar experience. With the EcoD it is a close match if not better then the 4.0 in low end torque.

I like to take things slow where torque is preferred over HP. If it was running sand dunes where I needed lighter and HP then the gasser.

It's all a matter of what you use your vehicle for and the experience you want.
Sponsored