Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Military
Hello,
I have a JTR and just installed an ARB air compressor. I have a tazer mini that lets me run at 2000 rpm for winch use, will using this feature help the air compressor air up quicker/efficiently?
Sponsored

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
On my JK, I have noticed a considerable difference in compressor speed with the engine off versus running at normal idle. Because the compressor is a relatively low current draw compared to a winch, I don't think you will see much of a difference running at an elevated idle speed. I never see a voltage drop when running my air compressor at normal idle, so the alternator seems to 'keep up' just fine at normal idle.

However, you could monitor system voltage at different idle speeds to see if it helps.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Probably. It would be nice to get the specification for what the minimum engine RPM is required for maximum amperage output of the alternator. Back in the day - some 20 years ago, it was 600-1200 depending on vehicle. Now I'm sure they found a way to maximize amperage output from the alternator at any RPM. But still...I would contact a Jeep dealer and speak with a tech or parts department, they can usually pull those specs.

I would be interested in hearing what they have to say as well.

That being said, for a compressor - even the dual ARB pulling probably 60-80 amps I am sure can be met with the engine at idle. Depending on what alternator you have, if it's the 270a version, thats way more amps than you need for the compressor. Always keep the engine on when using the compressor.

Now winching is a different story. So it would be good to know for sure what RPM offers max amp output for that situation.

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Have someone watch the voltage on the dash while you're airing up with the compressor and see how much the voltage dips. If it's more than a couple tenths, you might want to run it at the higher rpm.
Sponsored