Sponsored

Exhaust upgrade

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Now that I have a Gladiator, the one thing I will not change is the exhaust.
I couldn't stand how quiet it was and didn't expect it to sound like a V8. The magnaflow gives is a nice mellow tone that's louder than stock and I can actually hear it in the cabin. That's all I was looking for. I hate tinny, raspy, ricey sounding exhausts.
Sponsored

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 50 Willys, 76 CJ
Build Thread
Link
Watch your tach and see where it's the loudest. If it's:

2000 go 33.6"
2100 go 32"
2200 go 30.5"

The J pipe will cancel noises a little above and below the tuning frequency so you've got some fudge room if it isn't perfect.
Thank you!

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you!
No problem. Let me know how it works out for you.

I couldn't believe the difference the first time I drove mine after the J pipe was installed. Have them put it as far forward as they can and still be practical. Be sure the opening in the side of the existing pipe matches the shape of the end of the inlet of the J.

Dewyaw

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock; 1987 Jeep Wrangler Laredo; 1988 Porsche 911, 2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, 1994 Toyota Pickup 4x4. Not all at the same time.
@cecaa850 OK, I will take the bait.....how the heck did you know how long to make it? I have the Mopar Performance exhaust - modified from below the bumper to coming out right behind the tires and wondering if this would make life better.
I found this online:

Deleted member 31576

I did the magnaflow stainless and did the install myself. Actually like it a lot. I didn’t like it at first but after a couple of weeks it’s seems have changed in tone a little. It has a nice sound to it.

Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
almost all V8's are four cycle engines so 8 pulses not 4.

Halfcabnut

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator . 2000 Ford 7.3 Superduty/1974 Ford Bronco Halfcab
Occupation
Sheetmetal Fabricator
Cecaa850
I certainly appreciate the Information!
I done the the Thrush Welded muffler and removed first resonator. The sound was just what i was after but the drone was just like yours came on at 2000 up to 2400 and was terrible. I found your write up on the Jpipe and made one last night . Incredible difference! Drone completely eliminated.Very happy with the outcome .
Science is awesome lol.
Thanks again for posting the info and sending me down the right path...
Much appreciated.
Dan

DeepSea

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT LE, T120, JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Diver
Jeep Gladiator Exhaust upgrade E8C9733B-4E06-4FE3-8DDD-C1A412A04A83_1_201_a

I had the S type on my 2015 GMC Sierra and really liked it, but wondered what the Atak would have sounded like. So, for the Gladiator I went with the Atak and love it. I think Borla makes a quality product.

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cecaa850
I certainly appreciate the Information!
I done the the Thrush Welded muffler and removed first resonator. The sound was just what i was after but the drone was just like yours came on at 2000 up to 2400 and was terrible. I found your write up on the Jpipe and made one last night . Incredible difference! Drone completely eliminated.Very happy with the outcome .
Science is awesome lol.
Thanks again for posting the info and sending me down the right path...
Much appreciated.
Dan
That's awesome. Certainly no need to live with that annoying drone.

Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
OK then a 6 cylinder has 3 and a four cylinder has 2 pulses per revolution. for four cycle engines. Dewyaw posted 6 pulses for a V6.

Deleted member 21141

People normally recommend what they personally have. Maybe it's for self justification, I don't know. Your best bet is to find some sound clips and pick a tone that you like.

I couldn't justify the price of some of the systems out there so I had the center muffler and resonator cut off and had a Magnaflow muffler put in their place. I loved the sound but had a drone around 2 to 2.2k rpm. I went back to the muffler shop and had a J pipe installed and now it's perfect. I'm sure others will chime in with what they did but they all have good reasons for choosing what they did. No right or wrong.
Did you have any problems with warnings or lights with just cutting off and replacing the muffler

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
i have magnaflow street series side exit for a long time now, love it, but would not do exhaust on an automatic transmission imo, only manual transmissions, on an automatic these v6's will sound like crap and would annoy me to no end, completely different story with a manual where it's all about the drive, those shifts by sound/feel etc. total control of the sound, 8 speeds going up and down all the time with exhaust would be exhausting ;)

for that reason i left my 2014 ram 1500 pentastar stock, a v8 could tolerate an exhaust with an automatic as they sound good and hold gears better so it wouldn't be near as annoying