Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
They screwed it all up flipping the J to the first letter. Even the Grand Cherokees were like ZJ, WJ and so on. Now it's messed up with JT - but it's easy to remember - Jeep Truck.
So what was the Comanche?

OP
OP
o2bnkc

o2bnkc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S, 2002 Corvette convertible, 2008 Peterbilt 388, 2008 HD Heritage
Occupation
owner/operator/guitar picker
JT 2020+ Gladiator
JL late 2018+ Wrangler
JLU late 2018+ 4 door Wrangler
JK 2007-early 2018 Wrangler
JKU 2007-early 2018 4 door Wrangler
TJ 1998-2006 Wrangler
LJ 2003-2006 Long wheelbase version of TJ
YJ 1987-1997 Wrangler
CJ pre Wrangler Jeeps

People often refer to the Rubicon versions by adding an R to the end (JTR, JLR,...)

There are codes for every Jeep, not just the Wrangler based ones. The letters don't actually stand for anything usually. CJ was Civilian Jeep, U stands for Unlimited, but most letters have no meaning.
I feel like the only one on here that doesn't know this alphabet soup of different models. I don't know if I have enough years left to memorize this!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I feel like the only one on here that doesn't know this alphabet soup of different models. I don't know if I have enough years left to memorize this!
Google helps there........ lots of sites have this list. I looked it up a couple of years back as I was trying to decipher Grand Cherokee models.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Just print it out a cheat sheet and shove it in your wallet. :CWL: Or just do like I do and nod your head like you agree with all the crazy code talk of the jeep people.

Sponsored

Gobi-Wan Kenobi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Well I only had to learn 1 at a time. I started Jeeping during the YJ years when there were far fewer codes. And with a new Wranger coming out every 10ish years I had plenty of time to learn the new codes.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just print it out a cheat sheet and shove it in your wallet. :CWL: Or just do like I do and nod your head like you agree with all the crazy code talk of the jeep people.
Here I open another tab and hit google HA
(already 11 tabs open)

Lives The Dream

First Name
Meericole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 cj5, 1995 YJ, 2006 LJ Rubicon, 2020 JT
How can a company not know the origin of its name? Maybe some folks at Jeep now days don't know, but that's not to say the whole company doesn't have a clue where it's name came from.
For the original company (Civilian manufacturer), Willys Overland, Jeep was just a model name of one of their vehicles, and they didn’t win full rights to the name until 1953. It was contested by several companies, including Ford who had made the wartime unit classically known as a jeep, also Minnieapolis Moline who had a 4 wheel drive tractor unit, UTX, possibly nicknamed a Jeep before the Willys. There were even other vehicles called a jeep, including a plane. The jeep was also nicknamed a “jeep” before there was a GP or GPW, (does not mean “general purpose”) as the first jeep was produced by American Bantam as the BRC designation, Willys’ version was the MA, then after standardization the MB, Ford’s version was initially the GP, the GPW.
Willys didn’t even have “Jeep” on the body of the CJ until 1955 with CJ5(except hidden under the passenger seat on the toolbox) I believe due to the copyright issue.
IMHO.

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
So what was the Comanche?
That was the MJ. Unibody wagonneer/cherokee (83-01) was the XJ, Grand Cherokees have been ZJ, WJ, and WK successively (with the same code accounting for facelifts as well). First liberty was the KJ followed by the KK which is one letter away from being problematic. Old wagonners were the SJ and included the original Gladiator/J10. No idea what the renegade, compass, patriot, commander, or new cherokee are.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That was the MJ. Unibody wagonneer/cherokee (83-01) was the XJ, Grand Cherokees have been ZJ, WJ, and WK successively (with the same code accounting for facelifts as well). First liberty was the KJ followed by the KK which is one letter away from being problematic. Old wagonners were the SJ and included the original Gladiator/J10. No idea what the renegade, compass, patriot, commander, or new cherokee are.
Engine in my Eagle is from a 94 ZJ. I currently own my fother's 04 WJ. We've had a number of Grand Cherokees over the years but never paid attention to the designations until I got the 4.0 from the ZJ and had to use the service manual for wiring diagrams and such and had to be careful to choose the correct designation! They didn't use names, just the letter codes.

So I had an 87 shortbox MJ - interesting, thanks.

Sponsored

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
Engine in my Eagle is from a 94 ZJ. I currently own my fother's 04 WJ. We've had a number of Grand Cherokees over the years but never paid attention to the designations until I got the 4.0 from the ZJ and had to use the service manual for wiring diagrams and such and had to be careful to choose the correct designation! They didn't use names, just the letter codes.

So I had an 87 shortbox MJ - interesting, thanks.
I obviously did not mention the CJs or any wrangler variant assuming most people know those.

I have an '05 TJR with the redesigned non-oiled OPDA that could fail catastrophically and the awful NSG270 6-speed. I would love to go back and find an '04 for a trail rig but I don't get to the trails enough to justify it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have no idea what this is, my brother just had it shipped in from Maine. I know it's an 04 with a 4.0

He sent me a video with a weird sounds it's making and this is the best image of it LOL

Jeep Gladiator Explain to me scot-j
Sponsored