Sponsored

EXTREME ROOF RACK KIT - BY FRONT RUNNER - anyone have it installed?

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Has anyone installed one of these:
https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/jeep-gladiator-jt-2019-curr-extreme-rr-kit.html

I'm interested in this because Front Runner says it will support 660lbs - I think this is because the rear mount is supported by the internal roll cage not the fiberglass top and the front is supported by all metal down to the cowls. Freedom panels can still be removed. I want to be able to carry long and heavy stuff on the roof without losing the bed or compromising access to the bed. I'm not interested in an ARE, RSI, RLD etc. I don't care about never being able to remove the rear roof section because I live in Minnesota. Freedom panel access is enough for me.
Jeep Gladiator EXTREME ROOF RACK KIT - BY FRONT RUNNER - anyone have it installed? 1611256479461

Jeep Gladiator EXTREME ROOF RACK KIT - BY FRONT RUNNER - anyone have it installed? 1611256531975

Jeep Gladiator EXTREME ROOF RACK KIT - BY FRONT RUNNER - anyone have it installed? 1611256609633
Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTRD
Thatā€™s intriguing. Looks like how it mounts to the roll bar allows for a bit of movement so the hardtop wonā€™t crack?
Iā€™d want to see it in person first.

the front is just how the gobi mounted on my old jku.

OP
OP
syreeves

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thatā€™s intriguing. Looks like how it mounts to the roll bar allows for a bit of movement so the hardtop wonā€™t crack?
Iā€™d want to see it in person first.

the front is just how the gobi mounted on my old jku.
Yep - i think this will support a lot of weight. Would mean I don't need to use space above the bed which leaves me with a lot of flexibility (ATV, dirt bike, other loads etc).

Moss831

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy 1500, 2021 Willy's JT (ordered 12/15)
Occupation
Agriculture
I found this site which shows the vehicle Front Runner used - no info on installation, specs or anything.

https://charlesandhudson.com/jeep-gladiator-roof-rack/
I've been looking at this rack too. On Front Runner's website the installation instructions require drilling holes in the rear roof panel. Kind of like drilling a hole in a brand new boat to install a transducer? never had a boat sink but would be bummed if my new roof leaked. i'd like to see one installed before pulling the trigger.

Sponsored

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Looks solid, that is waaaaaay more weight than I would put up that high, so it should have plenty of capacity

OP
OP
syreeves

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Looks solid, that is waaaaaay more weight than I would put up that high, so it should have plenty of capacity
Totally Agree - don't plan on having that much weight up there ever - except for static sleeping. Assume a RTT weighs 150lbs. I weigh ahem, just over 200, and my wife is around 120. Add sleeping gear, or whatever and thats about 500lbs. I don't think the factory hard top will take that kind of weight. For example take a look at this rack - uses the drip rails and even though it uses 4 feet per side I don't think I want to try 500lbs on that. Heck I'm not even sure I want a 150Lb tent up their bouncing around off road...

https://rooftopoverland.com/collect...ucts/eezi-awn-jeep-gladiator-k9-roof-rack-kit
Jeep Gladiator EXTREME ROOF RACK KIT - BY FRONT RUNNER - anyone have it installed? 1611544996863

Jeep Gladiator EXTREME ROOF RACK KIT - BY FRONT RUNNER - anyone have it installed? 1611545024468

OP
OP
syreeves

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've been looking at this rack too. On Front Runner's website the installation instructions require drilling holes in the rear roof panel. Kind of like drilling a hole in a brand new boat to install a transducer? never had a boat sink but would be bummed if my new roof leaked. i'd like to see one installed before pulling the trigger.
Yep - I agree - drilling holes in the hard top makes me nervous (22mm holes x 4!!! - I read the install directions - these are not simply through holes for bolts!!!). And that is why I'm trying to find out information from anyone who has actually mounted one of these Front Runners. Anyway - hope someone who has eventually comes across this thread :)

OP
OP
syreeves

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I found another alternative from GOBI: https://www.gobiracks.com/product/jeep-gladiator-stealth-rackĀ·-multi-light-setup/
Jeep Gladiator EXTREME ROOF RACK KIT - BY FRONT RUNNER - anyone have it installed? 1611691608887

This rack requires NO drilling and is designed to enable removal of the Freedom Panels. Not sure if you can remove the whole top. But static load of 600lbs and dynamic load of 300lbs fits my requirements. I like the ladder at the back. I also like the side bar configuration (round profile) which means I can use universal Yakima roof rail clamp towers). Don't think this is compatible with any hard bed toppers (RSI, ARE, Leer, RLD etc). Bet this makes a ton of wind noise - probably no different than the Front Runner. Anyway - definitely an option I should consider...

Anyone have one installed? :please:

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I found another alternative from GOBI: https://www.gobiracks.com/product/jeep-gladiator-stealth-rackĀ·-multi-light-setup/
Jeep Gladiator EXTREME ROOF RACK KIT - BY FRONT RUNNER - anyone have it installed? 1611691608887

This rack requires NO drilling and is designed to enable removal of the Freedom Panels. Not sure if you can remove the whole top. But static load of 600lbs and dynamic load of 300lbs fits my requirements. I like the ladder at the back. I also like the side bar configuration (round profile) which means I can use universal Yakima roof rail clamp towers). Don't think this is compatible with any hard bed toppers (RSI, ARE, Leer, RLD etc). Bet this makes a ton of wind noise - probably no different than the Front Runner. Anyway - definitely an option I should consider...

Anyone have one installed? :please:
They should have hinged it the other way

Sponsored

jayqwellin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max Tow (Gobi)
Installed the slimline 2 roof rack kit for the JT the other day. Got a good deal for $1350 out the door.

Pros:
-Reasonably priced.

-Looks good.

-Powder coating is good.

-Appears reasonably sturdy. Can shake the whole truck by pushing on the rack without the rack/foot rails moving.

-Instructions were good.

Cons:
-Easily the most tedious/annoying install I've done so far on my JT.

-The fit is "meh". Some of the tracks have burrs that prevent smooth operation. One of the inner brackets barely lined up with the outer foot rails. I dont know if the existing holes on my particular JTs roll bar were unique, but that was a close one. I discovered this little tidbit of information after I had already drilled the 22mm holes in my hard top. Had these two items not lined up, I would have had to drill more holes in my hard top and plug the misaligned holes with the provided plug kit.

-One combined slat was damaged upon arrival so I had to wait for a replacement before assembling. Didnt take long to arrive, 3 days, but still.

-The provided hardware was of questionable quality at best. I used my own hardware for alot of the joints--the provided nuts were so weak that you couldnt torque them enough. Some stripped with little effort.

-The rack itself uses Allen bolts which strip ridiculously easily.

Overall I'd buy again since there isnt really another option for a roof rack that is not guttermounted. The Gobi rack required OEM rock rails. I love my aftermarket sliders so the gobi rack was out of the question for me.

OP
OP
syreeves

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marshall is on this forum...I can't remember his handle.

Yes- I've seen all is YT videos. He is doing interesting stuff with solar panels. I like his channel as he is definitely putting thought into his mods.

TheHops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Frontrunner racks installed front, and rear. Solid pieces of kit for sure. I've had it on for several months now without issue. Not a single leak.

Just be sure to measure, measure, mark, measure, measure, measure, mark, measure one last time *then* drill.

Side note: I did swap out the solar slide for now. I just couldn't get adequate exposure! I may revisit it in the future for v2.0, but for now I just have a 100W panel hard mounted to the front roof rack (installed in the picture below, but not visible).

Jeep Gladiator EXTREME ROOF RACK KIT - BY FRONT RUNNER - anyone have it installed? IMG_20210406_051838_790
Sponsored