Sponsored

Fair price for a 1971 J10

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
What do you guys think is a fair price for a 1971 J10 if you are looking for a project car? One came up nearby me here, which is one of those old farm truck styles with a wooden bed frame and a rebuilt motor and automatic transmission... They are asking $7500 for it... I don't know much about the engine details on this truck so any help is appreciated... I do like the old school farm look of the vehicle.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What do you guys think is a fair price for a 1971 J10 if you are looking for a project car? One came up nearby me here, which is one of those old farm truck styles with a wooden bed frame and a rebuilt motor and automatic transmission... They are asking $7500 for it... I don't know much about the engine details on this truck so any help is appreciated... I do like the old school farm look of the vehicle.
I LOVE those old Jeep trucks.
That's a great question for the guys over at the AMC forum.
Which engine is in that one? Curious, being a 71. Likely a 360 or perhaps 304. Parts for those engines are easy to find. And they can produce some nice HP.
Depending on the engine and how it was rebuilt, a person can wrap up 3500+ pretty easily although a budget rebuild can also be done.

They are a rare beast these days, but now and then see a really nice clean one show up at one of our shows.

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
If it runs and drives, with minimal rust, even if needing work, I'd say thats probably a fair price. post pictures for a better idea.

OP
OP
SleepyJeep

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
If it runs and drives, with minimal rust, even if needing work, I'd say thats probably a fair price. post pictures for a better idea.
I was thinking about posting pictures but those pictures are not mine obviously and I am not sure if I am allowed to post those pictures... :angel:. From the looks of it on the outside it looks good. But, the seller has not posted any pictures of the undercarriage or under the hood, engine etc.

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
I wouldnt worry about it the picture issue. At any rate, if the engine is recently rebuilt then that part is probably fine, other big concerns would be transmission and rust. Transmission could be anywhere from 1000-3000 to fix depending on variables. Rust on a vehicle of that age could be anywhere from minimal to gaping holes, and you'd have to figure out your comfort level. Personally I dont like anything with body rust because its harder to fix, frames I can fix. I've ran into issues where people epoxied a plate to the floor board, doesnt stop the issue. Typical places are wheel well, fender well/seams, floor board, a/c holes in firewall, anywhere where leaves can get traped and stay wet, like around bed/tailgate crevacies. I love old jeeps, I've had Cj's, Xjs, Willys wagons, Wagoneers.. this is my wagon I had for a few years, would drive it to work weekly.

414331_10100755189026991_506737043_o.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking about posting pictures but those pictures are not mine obviously and I am not sure if I am allowed to post those pictures... :angel:. From the looks of it on the outside it looks good. But, the seller has not posted any pictures of the undercarriage or under the hood, engine etc.
IF you go this direction, I can put you in touch with some people who know these vehicles, perhaps even have parts. Engine don't worry about. I know you said it's rebuilt, so no worries there anyway, one would think. But the AMC V8 was all the exact same external dimensions, the 1970 and later used the same intake bolt pattern, heads, timing covers, internal parts, all very available. Transmission parts - I know people who might be able to help there.
Basically you have two support groups for those trucks - AMC and Jeep.
Sponsored