Sponsored

Glad Jeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Here are my first impressions and thoughts on our first overland trip taken on Memorial Day weekend.
My brother and sister in law introduced us to jeepin. They are avid rock crawlers and seasoned overlanders. We loved the overlanding not RC as much and probably won't do that. So last September we sold our 36' 5th wheel and traded the 2018 Ram 3500 in on the JTM looking to enter the jeeping world. Got amazing buy on the JTM and feel very fortunate that I did not have to order it. Has everything I wanted on a JT. I feel lucky since my in laws just got his JLR 392 with recon pkg 10 months after he ordered it (see pic's below, it's reallyyyy nice).

Went to central Washington state for the weekend. Started around Rimrock / Naches area and ended the first night at a KOA in Ellensburg since it was a little to cold and wet in the higher elevations. Started out the next day heading to Whiskey Dick Wildlife Area. It was amazing with plenty of different terrain, highly recommend these roads. Ended up overlanding for about 6 hours. Ended up at a nice area above the Columbia River for the night. The next day was a little more challenging since there was showers around making the roads a little muddy and the rocks were large (football / basketball size) and slippery. Had a accent for about 1/2 mile ranging up wards of 21 degrees over the rocks. In law had to place his new jeep lockers front and rear in to get up the hill. Overlanded for about 5 hours and ended up in Wenatchee to visit family.

Mojave, operated flawlessly and was so enjoyable to drive
4wd was great, Transmission got very warm and auxiliary cooling fan came on.
Plenty of room for all of our gear and still had more room if needed.
Area was amazing, even had a few small water crossings FUNNNNNN!!!!
GAIA was also amazing and worked very well with Apple Car Play
ICECO fridge flawless, jackery same I am glad I went this route.
Napier tent and Airbedz was very comfortable, although setup and down was a little inconvenient.
GMRS worked somewhat, have to dial that in.

I have added pictures below. Any questions, just shoot me a reply. All in all amazing trip despite the weather. Plenty more roads in this area to explore.

IMG_1855.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

IMG_1860.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

IMG_1858.jpg
Sponsored

KoBear

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Gobi JTR
Looks like an awesome time. I grew up camping. My wife did not. Hoping some truck camping will sway her.

DailyMoparGuy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.6L
Occupation
Engineer
Looks like an awesome time. I grew up camping. My wife did not. Hoping some truck camping will sway her.
I’m in the same boat (but not wife yet, soon to be fiancé 🤫). It’s weird though because she grew up in central Pennsylvania which has so much adventuring and cool places to camp nearby. Oh well. I think it’ll take a roof top tent, in-cab fridge, and on-demand mimosas to persuade her lol.

KoBear

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Gobi JTR
I’m in the same boat (but not wife yet, soon to be fiancé 🤫). It’s weird though because she grew up in central Pennsylvania which has so much adventuring and cool places to camp nearby. Oh well. I think it’ll take a roof top tent, in-cab fridge, and on-demand mimosas to persuade her lol.
hell yea dude. Congrats. We are expecting Our first (a son). Fridge and a blender for mixed drinks is gonna be a must. Haha

Sponsored

ygrignon

First Name
Yanik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow, Maserati Ghibli, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
It’s the first time I see somebody leveling a Jeep. That’s such an RV thing to do :clap:

Grats on the JTM and the first trip!

zxd9

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Granite Crystal
Occupation
Software Engineer
Great that you had a good first time experience. Can you elaborate on your GMRS setup and what issues you experienced? I'm putting mine together now.

OP
OP
Glad Jeeper

Glad Jeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Great that you had a good first time experience. Can you elaborate on your GMRS setup and what issues you experienced? I'm putting mine together now.
I have the Midland MXT400. The couple I was with had a couple GMRS handhelds. I was able to receive some of their calls but not all. They could not hear any from me. I was able to hear other voices from people not with us, they could not hear me either. I think I have a setting incorrect, probably in the privacy part of the radio.

zxd9

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave Granite Crystal
Occupation
Software Engineer
I have the Midland MXT400. The couple I was with had a couple GMRS handhelds. I was able to receive some of their calls but not all. They could not hear any from me. I was able to hear other voices from people not with us, they could not hear me either. I think I have a setting incorrect, probably in the privacy part of the radio.
Probably privacy codes. Pretty sure when you don't have the code, you can hear them but they can't hear you.

djthumper

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Sport S Eco Diesel, Jeep Renegade
Occupation
I.T.
If you can hear them and they can't hear you it is definitely the privacy codes not being programmed in to match them.

When I make it back up towards Longview again I may have to bring my camping stuff while the wife visits with her folks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Glad Jeeper

Glad Jeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
If you can hear them and they can't hear you it is definitely the privacy codes not being programmed in to match them.

When I make it back up towards Longview again I may have to bring my camping stuff while the wife visits with her folks.
I haven't had time to get back out with my jeeping group but that seems to be the consensus. You are from the area? Thats cool.

djthumper

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T.
I haven't had time to get back out with my jeeping group but that seems to be the consensus. You are from the area? Thats cool.
I am down here in Las Vegas. My wife is from Clakskanie and some family lives in Longview. I hope to get back up that way, maybe next year. The cost of fuel is crazy and my vacation time is taken up for this year already.

OP
OP
Glad Jeeper

Glad Jeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I am down here in Las Vegas. My wife is from Clakskanie and some family lives in Longview. I hope to get back up that way, maybe next year. The cost of fuel is crazy and my vacation time is taken up for this year already.
good oh Clatskanie, I was raised in Rainier so I know the area very well.

djthumper

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I.T.
So if you see a near twin with Nevada plates it may just be me.
Sponsored