Sponsored

JeepGuy82

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler TJ, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
I'm new to the forum and have really enjoyed perusing the threads while awaiting the delivery of my EcoDiesel Gladiator Rubicon. I ordered mine from Champion of Decatur, Alabama on July 9 and took delivery this past Thursday, October 8. Kevin Allison, the GM at Champion, is a family friend and I have known him for years. He's a stand up guy, honest, and takes care of his customers. For any of you considering ordering a new Gladiator, you should check with him first at 256-351-8787. I doubt he will give you the unthinkable deal he gave me (I have been sworn to secrecy), but even if he gets close it will be one of the best - if not the best - in the country. There's my plug for him! By the way, the sticker on mine was over $66k. I have everything available at the time of ordering except the front windshield tie-downs, the removable bluetooth speaker, and the trail rail system.

Now, on to the good stuff. I just spent several hours driving almost 500 miles in my new EcoDiesel Gladiator Rubicon. And, let me tell you.... PHENOMENAL! This new EcoDiesel is one of the coolest combos for the Gladiator and I think will provide more enjoyment (provided quality is longterm) than the upcoming V8. There is just enough diesel clatter to let you know you're in something special. The engine/transmission combination is SPOT ON. I'm talking perfect upshifts and downshifts, great cruising at interstate speeds (was getting 31 mpg at 70 on a straightaway with Mud Terrains), and just as at home climbing through the North Carolina mountains. Not once did I experience any hiccups here. Now, there is an annoying buzzing noise when you turn off the engine. This lasts a minute or two and goes away. I have been told by a senior tech this is normal and has to do with the turbo break-in and will subside after about 1,000 miles. I guess I'll find out in the next couple of days. I think everyone with the diesel is experiencing this so no concerns and it's not so bad that if it never goes away I'll be upset.

Back to the engine. WOW. Torque and torque and MORE torque. Pulls like crazy and is killer. I'm smiling as a write this thinking about it! Windows up and you can hear the diesel at idle/parking lot speeds... just enough to think out loud I can't believe Jeep built this! Once you're cruising the cabin is quiet (Jeep quiet), and easy to jam out to the Alpine stereo (excellent system and worth it), handles bluetooth phone calls, etc. Windows down... I can't quit smiling. Summer time with freedom tops out and doors off will be an experience.

Speaking of freedom tops, one of the first issues I noticed was a rather vast and super annoying water leak around the passenger side. Water comes in right above the passenger side seat belt. I dove through a monsoon with no issues, but when I had to back up or stop at a red light, it came pouring in. For now I have some shop towels keeping the interior dry but will be back at the dealer with this next week. Also, noticed a defect on the corner of this freedom top so that might have something to do with it. I'll post a picture below.

Another issue I experienced was with the electronic stability control. This is the most concerning of all the little things so far. On three separate occasions the warning light flickered on and off for no apparent reason. The first time it turned off my adaptive cruise control (which works great by the way). This morning I checked all the fuses and most weren't fully seated. So, I pushed those on down and hope that takes care of the problem. I'll report back once I know if this fixes the issues.

Also, my Apple CarPlay disconnected and reconnected twice for no apparent reason. There was something on the Uconnect screen about unpairing or something but I couldn't catch the wording fast enough. Going to keep on eye on this as well.

All in all - absolutely love my new Gladiator. For any of you sitting on the fence, DO IT. Get the EcoDiesel. By my scientific seat-of-my-pants and smiles-per-miles calculations, I'd buy the EcoDiesel again tomorrow with a HUGE smile on my face!

Jeep Gladiator First impressions after 500 Miles in a FULLY loaded EcoDiesel Gladiator Rubicon IMG_3175 2

Jeep Gladiator First impressions after 500 Miles in a FULLY loaded EcoDiesel Gladiator Rubicon IMG_3187

Jeep Gladiator First impressions after 500 Miles in a FULLY loaded EcoDiesel Gladiator Rubicon IMG_3189

Jeep Gladiator First impressions after 500 Miles in a FULLY loaded EcoDiesel Gladiator Rubicon IMG_3190

Jeep Gladiator First impressions after 500 Miles in a FULLY loaded EcoDiesel Gladiator Rubicon IMG_3182

Jeep Gladiator First impressions after 500 Miles in a FULLY loaded EcoDiesel Gladiator Rubicon IMG_3191

So, quick update. Just hit 1,000 miles on the odometer and loving the truck! Dealer has taken care of the freedom top issues with two brand new freedom tops! After I pushed the fuses down, I have had no other electronic stability control or CarPlay issues so holding my breath on that one. All in all, having an absolute blast with this new truck and I am so grateful that I picked the diesel! I think FCA should do a commercial spot and instead of saying that thing got a hemi, it should be that thing got a diesel? That’s the one thing I keep hearing over and over...
Sponsored

Last edited:

DJ_Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR, 2021 JTR Diesel
Great to see your 1st 500 mile review and that you a thoroughly enjoying it :clap:

Sorry to hear about leak, please keep us posted. On side note, wife's '18 JKUR had similar water leaking from front doors at the freedom top's seal to upper frame/window area. We haven't noticed any leaking since we put the Bestop 30-oz Black Twill acrylic fabric Sunrider on it.

When my JTURD arrives, I will go over it with fine tooth comb using the delivery checklist and requesting a copy of the New Vehicle Preparation Inspection & Road Test Form before accepting delivery.

Here's link to check list thread

Sponsored

Gruffid

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L; 2021 JTR EcoDiesel
Build Thread
Link
Your Gladiator looks beautiful... just like the one I ordered! :rock:

Gladiator in my dreams

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 1997 Land Rover Defender, 2018 Q7 Audi
Occupation
Reitired
What is the GVWR in lbs on the door sticker of you Diesel?
What is the "Max loading lbs" on the yellow sticker of your Diesel?

These stickers are on the front door jam.

OP
OP
JeepGuy82

JeepGuy82

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol, that’s no defect on the top. It’s been dropped.
I thought so too at first. But, there’s no cracking or flaking in the paint. And, there’s paint on the splintered parts. Looks to me like it was painted that way. Either way, the dealership is aware and is going to replace with a new piece.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepGuy82

JeepGuy82

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great to see your 1st 500 mile review and that you a thoroughly enjoying it :clap:

Sorry to hear about leak, please keep us posted. On side note, wife's '18 JKUR had similar water leaking from front doors at the freedom top's seal to upper frame/window area. We haven't noticed any leaking since we put the Bestop 30-oz Black Twill acrylic fabric Sunrider on it.

When my JTURD arrives, I will go over it with fine tooth comb using the delivery checklist and requesting a copy of the New Vehicle Preparation Inspection & Road Test Form before accepting delivery.

Here's link to check list thread
Dealership is going to replace that freedom top with a new one. Thank you for the checklist! I have gone over it and my truck and everything is good to go.

OP
OP
JeepGuy82

JeepGuy82

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
JeepGuy82

JeepGuy82

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is the GVWR in lbs on the door sticker of you Diesel?
What is the "Max loading lbs" on the yellow sticker of your Diesel?

These stickers are on the front door jam.
Max Loading is 932 Lbs. GVWR is 6450 lbs.

AABA1C73-9BF1-412F-86B6-3D845ED19D49.jpeg

FCF3AA22-FFD0-4B80-9FD2-B279D95F267B.jpeg

OP
OP
JeepGuy82

JeepGuy82

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm new to the forum and have really enjoyed perusing the threads while awaiting the delivery of my EcoDiesel Gladiator Rubicon. I ordered mine from Champion of Decatur, Alabama on July 9 and took delivery this past Thursday, October 8. Kevin Allison, the GM at Champion, is a family friend and I have known him for years. He's a stand up guy, honest, and takes care of his customers. For any of you considering ordering a new Gladiator, you should check with him first at 256-351-8787. I doubt he will give you the unthinkable deal he gave me (I have been sworn to secrecy), but even if he gets close it will be one of the best - if not the best - in the country. There's my plug for him! By the way, the sticker on mine was over $66k. I have everything available at the time of ordering except the front windshield tie-downs, the removable bluetooth speaker, and the trail rail system.

Now, on to the good stuff. I just spent several hours driving almost 500 miles in my new EcoDiesel Gladiator Rubicon. And, let me tell you.... PHENOMENAL! This new EcoDiesel is one of the coolest combos for the Gladiator and I think will provide more enjoyment (provided quality is longterm) than the upcoming V8. There is just enough diesel clatter to let you know you're in something special. The engine/transmission combination is SPOT ON. I'm talking perfect upshifts and downshifts, great cruising at interstate speeds (was getting 31 mpg at 70 on a straightaway with Mud Terrains), and just as at home climbing through the North Carolina mountains. Not once did I experience any hiccups here. Now, there is an annoying buzzing noise when you turn off the engine. This lasts a minute or two and goes away. I have been told by a senior tech this is normal and has to do with the turbo break-in and will subside after about 1,000 miles. I guess I'll find out in the next couple of days. I think everyone with the diesel is experiencing this so no concerns and it's not so bad that if it never goes away I'll be upset.

Back to the engine. WOW. Torque and torque and MORE torque. Pulls like crazy and is killer. I'm smiling as a write this thinking about it! Windows up and you can hear the diesel at idle/parking lot speeds... just enough to think out loud I can't believe Jeep built this! Once you're cruising the cabin is quiet (Jeep quiet), and easy to jam out to the Alpine stereo (excellent system and worth it), handles bluetooth phone calls, etc. Windows down... I can't quit smiling. Summer time with freedom tops out and doors off will be an experience.

Speaking of freedom tops, one of the first issues I noticed was a rather vast and super annoying water leak around the passenger side. Water comes in right above the passenger side seat belt. I dove through a monsoon with no issues, but when I had to back up or stop at a red light, it came pouring in. For now I have some shop towels keeping the interior dry but will be back at the dealer with this next week. Also, noticed a defect on the corner of this freedom top so that might have something to do with it. I'll post a picture below.

Another issue I experienced was with the electronic stability control. This is the most concerning of all the little things so far. On three separate occasions the warning light flickered on and off for no apparent reason. The first time it turned off my adaptive cruise control (which works great by the way). This morning I checked all the fuses and most weren't fully seated. So, I pushed those on down and hope that takes care of the problem. I'll report back once I know if this fixes the issues.

Also, my Apple CarPlay disconnected and reconnected twice for no apparent reason. There was something on the Uconnect screen about unpairing or something but I couldn't catch the wording fast enough. Going to keep on eye on this as well.

All in all - absolutely love my new Gladiator. For any of you sitting on the fence, DO IT. Get the EcoDiesel. By my scientific seat-of-my-pants and smiles-per-miles calculations, I'd buy the EcoDiesel again tomorrow with a HUGE smile on my face!

Jeep Gladiator First impressions after 500 Miles in a FULLY loaded EcoDiesel Gladiator Rubicon FCF3AA22-FFD0-4B80-9FD2-B279D95F267B

Jeep Gladiator First impressions after 500 Miles in a FULLY loaded EcoDiesel Gladiator Rubicon FCF3AA22-FFD0-4B80-9FD2-B279D95F267B

So, just a quick update. The dealer is going to replace the leaking freedom top with a new one. The damage does look to be a manufacturing defect. There is no chipping or cracking in the paint and the splintered areas have paint on them. Pretty easy to see in person.

Most of my fuses were not fully seated. Pushed them all down fully in place and haven’t had any other issues so far. I’ll be driving several hundred miles over the next few days and will report back.

Loving the truck so far. Lots of looks and thumbs up in an area full of Jeeps. Even got a “wow is that really a diesel” last night. My mpg is great too. Even in mountain driving I’m mid to high 20s. Climbs through the mountains mostly in 5th or 6th gear. Always seems dead on for the speed and throttle usage. FCA seems to have nailed the engine/trans programming. After owning numerous exotics with double clutch transmissions I can say the Gladiator is as well programmed as any and is as smooth as butter.

mwbrogan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Loving the truck so far. Lots of looks and thumbs up in an area full of Jeeps. Even got a “wow is that really a diesel” last night. My mpg is great too. Even in mountain driving I’m mid to high 20s. Climbs through the mountains mostly in 5th or 6th gear. Always seems dead on for the speed and throttle usage. FCA seems to have nailed the engine/trans programming. After owning numerous exotics with double clutch transmissions I can say the Gladiator is as well programmed as any and is as smooth as butter.
Thanks so much for the real-world review. Now, if Jeep would just put the full-time 4WD systems in with the diesel, my new vehicle decision would be made.
Sponsored