JeepGuy82

JeepGuy82

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler TJ, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Thanks so much for the real-world review. Now, if Jeep would just put the full-time 4WD systems in with the diesel, my new vehicle decision would be made.
I know that was one of my hesitations. Let me tell you though... one drive in my EcoDiesel and that was never another thought!
Sponsored

Stevevdbh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Manager
Max Loading is 932 Lbs. GVWR is 6450 lbs.

AABA1C73-9BF1-412F-86B6-3D845ED19D49.jpeg

FCF3AA22-FFD0-4B80-9FD2-B279D95F267B.jpeg
Just for some clarity. So payload is what is in the jeep, plus what is in the bed, plus what your trailer hitch weighs? Did i get that right? So if my trailer hitch Weight is 500 lbs, does that mean i have 432 lbs between me and passengers and what else is in the bed? Sorry if it is dumb question, seems you know what all this means? Thanks!

Gladiator in my dreams

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 1997 Land Rover Defender, 2018 Q7 Audi
Occupation
Reitired
lrtexasman

Does the hitch weight include the weight of the actucal hitch and supporting items like "bars"? OR, does this weight become part of the weight on the truck and trailer?

2012 Airstream 16' Caravel has a GVWR of 4,300 lbs and a hitch weight including batteries and Propane of 490 lbs. Is that 490 lbs at the max of 4,300 GVWR or at the "NET" weight of the trailer which is 3,200 lbs? Meaning if loading to 4,300 lbs the hitch weight would be a lot higher.

Bob

Sponsored

lrtexasman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
The factory tow hitch is figured into the weight of the vehicle. If you add a weight distribution hitch that weight becomes part of payload/tongue weight. Check out the towing section in the forum. Lots of good info there. Particularly pertaining to weights, real experiences, photos, and trailer brake modifications. There is also a tfltruck video (YouTube and somewhere in the towing forum) comparing the gladiator against a diesel wrangler with real world testing and hitch set up.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 LJ 4.0 turbo, 18 GC Trailhawk 3.6, 17 F150 Screw 3.5EB
Just for some clarity. So payload is what is in the jeep, plus what is in the bed, plus what your trailer hitch weighs? Did i get that right? So if my trailer hitch Weight is 500 lbs, does that mean i have 432 lbs between me and passengers and what else is in the bed? Sorry if it is dumb question, seems you know what all this means? Thanks!
Correct. You, passengers, dogs, gear, winch and anything you add or include after purchase that are spring weight.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for sharing. If Jeep put a manual transmission in the diesel, I’d remortgage my house so I could buy two!!!

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
Why in the heck is the diesel payload so much less than the aport models.... like 700 less?

Sponsored

Nannook of the north

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport
Why in the heck is the diesel payload so much less than the aport models.... like 700 less?
To my understanding it had to do with something in regards to the cooling system. Like they couldn't put as large of cooling system as necessary and the physical design of the Jeep didn't allow enough airflow.

I'm sure it'll pull it though

OP
OP
JeepGuy82

JeepGuy82

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Payload is lowered from added weight if motor and emissions equipment. Towing is lower due to cooling.
Agreed. The EcoDiesel is the Gladiator’s high performance engine. This comes at a trade off to payload. Still, the 932 lbs for the Rubicon trim is respectable. Check out the same scenario for the 2020 F150. What I don’t understand is the constant let down others express about the towing capacity. For me, it will do everything plus some that I want it to do. If I were someone who needed the towing power of a full-size truck, I’d buy a full-size truck and be done with it. This is a great light duty truck. Emphasis on light duty.

F67B1173-9212-4D92-B195-2072846176E4.jpeg

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
That's a GORGEOUS truck. Congrats!

But, it confirms our fears. 932 lbs. of payload is PATHETIC. Let's say you have a family of 4 and you all combined weigh 700 lbs. That leaves you 232 lbs. You couldn't even put a youth ATV in the bed. Your towing will be limited to 1,500 to 2,000 lbs. depending on your tongue weight. That's just useless as a pickup truck. At that point a guy might as well go Wrangler and save the money.

Sad... very sad. Guys were really hoping for a mid-size diesel truck that could do some work.

OP
OP
JeepGuy82

JeepGuy82

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a GORGEOUS truck. Congrats!

But, it confirms our fears. 932 lbs. of payload is PATHETIC. Let's say you have a family of 4 and you all combined weigh 700 lbs. That leaves you 232 lbs. You couldn't even put a youth ATV in the bed. Your towing will be limited to 1,500 to 2,000 lbs. depending on your tongue weight. That's just useless as a pickup truck. At that point a guy might as well go Wrangler and save the money.

Sad... very sad. Guys were really hoping for a mid-size diesel truck that could do some work.
Thank you! Of course, I’d be thrilled if payload/towing were greater. But, for me it’ll do just fine. It’s a fun and cool daily driver and if I need to pull a small trailer, etc I will be just fine. However, I do understand the let down others feel. Maybe with Gladiator generation 2 they will be able to engineer around this limitation.
Sponsored