First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport s
Occupation
Retired
Well I've been changing oil at 3000 or so miles for 50 years and don't see any reason to change. Don't like any car that acts smarter than me...:turkey:
Sponsored

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Well I've been changing oil at 3000 or so miles for 50 years and don't see any reason to change. Don't like any car that acts smarter than me...:turkey:
Yeah, it's not like cars and other machinery have improved in 50 years. I still use straight non-detergent 30 in all my cars, if it worked for my 1961 VW Bus, it's gotta be good for my JT!

DBravo

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2021 Jeep JL Sahara
Jesus h Christ I’m on track to no hit my first oil change until around 15k! This can’t be right... damn dashboard gives me anxiety every time I look at it....
Where were you on your first oil change?
I’m showing 28% oil life remaining at 5800 miles. Drive about 40 hwy miles 5 days/wk (70 mph avg) and averaging 23.8 mpg.

betsy

First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 jk rubicon hard rock 2dr ,2020 jt gladiator
I change mine at about 5k miles, which is about 50% on the meter, I also use the recommended viscosity and factory filter, and I also have been changing my oil for about 50 years, cheap insurance in my book

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The very first oil I ever used was Kerr McGee Blue Velvet 10w40.
I used that as it came recommended by my first boss, I got a discount, and customers who also used it saw good results - although they changed oil on a regular basis so could have seen good results anyway.
I then used Quaker state for a while, then out of college, my next boss recommended Havoline. I used that for years as well.

I just thought it fun to sort of look back at my firsts - my first car at age 14 in the early 1970s, my second car a couple of years later, then 2 cars and a truck, and so on.

Sponsored

betsy

First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 jk rubicon hard rock 2dr ,2020 jt gladiator
50 years of Castrol , and about 80 vehicles later, I’m still at it!

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Growing up poor, I'm sure whatever I first used (with my dad) was something cheap and available. I worked at a gas station he managed pretty young, so we always had some scraps and extras I'm sure. We rebuilt a 1961 VW Bus purchased for $100 and it became my first car. I used to obsess over oils and then realized that was crazy as vehicles and oils became so much better. Now I'll just use what meets the spec and has a good price. Rotella in the motorcycles, mostly, not sure what the JT will get after the couple years of free oil changes.

These days I prefer butter flavored Crisco, because the exhaust smell makes the people behind me on the trail get the munchies like crazy.
Sponsored