First time towing and camping with the JTR

Dreaded1

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
The main reason I purchased a JTR was because they are cool a shit, and my girlfriend loves to camp but will never tent camp again, so I knew I was getting a travel traile this year. This was also my first rewal world towing experience.

We just finished a 345 mile round trip adventure, up the Adiraondacks of NY. We averaged 11.7mpg for the trip. I had it up to 12.1 for the first 266 miles, then my co pilot decided she wanted a/c for the remainer of the drive. I kept it below 70 for the entire trip and didn't push it too hard on any of the climbs. I used the auto shift a few times on the way out, but not coming home.

My travel trailer, which has been dubbed "The Shed" is a 2018 Jayco Jayflight RBH, it weighs just shy of 3500 empty. We had the 2 of us, our mountain bikes, cooler, and usual camping gear.

The rear suspension felt a little bouncy on the back roads. I may need to install airbags at some point. I was really hapy with the way it performed this weekend and do not regret my purchase at all.

The rampage tow mirrors with the adapters made by @thornengineering were a godsend.

Jeep Gladiator First time towing and camping with the JTR 1623627592117
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dreaded1

Dreaded1

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
I have towed the trailer several times now and I am getting a lot more confortable with it. Last week we towed from NY to VT and took the back roads all the way there, and I did not notice too much bounce. Since the first time I towed, I am grabbing an extra link on the WDH and I think that has helped with what I was feeling.

I still want to get the entire setup weighed so I know where I am at, but I have no idea where I can get it done. I have thought about stopping at a weigh station on the highway, when they are open, to see if they would hook me up for a small fee.

xpcdoojk

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes SLK300 MINI Cooper S Volvo XC40
I have towed the trailer several times now and I am getting a lot more confortable with it. Last week we towed from NY to VT and took the back roads all the way there, and I did not notice too much bounce. Since the first time I towed, I am grabbing an extra link on the WDH and I think that has helped with what I was feeling.

I still want to get the entire setup weighed so I know where I am at, but I have no idea where I can get it done. I have thought about stopping at a weigh station on the highway, when they are open, to see if they would hook me up for a small fee.
Looking good!

sarguy1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Download the CAT Scales app on your phone and it will show you local scales. Not sure where in NY you are but most of the Pilot truck stops have the CAT scales there.

KVJ

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S W/Max Tow
At the CAT scales they charge about twelve bucks, then tell them you want to un-hook and get a re-weigh. You can unhook and weight the truck for two bucks more. If your loaded for camping it will help you when making decisions about what all to take with you.