Sponsored

Mr.volleyball13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiaor
Anyone have anything to share about towing with the manual. Have a manual mojave on the way. To be honest, bit worried about towing and having to back a trailer up with the tall reverse gear. Still have a few days to change my order to auto and definitely thinking about it. Been a manual guy my whole life, however, pretty concerned with this 6-speed when towing, reversing and adding bigger tires. Seems like the auto can handle all the, but I will lose the fun factor.
Sponsored

FloridaMan655321

First Name
Lieutenant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 1973 F-100 - both manual
Occupation
Lieutenant (not really)
Anyone have anything to share about towing with the manual. Have a manual mojave on the way. To be honest, bit worried about towing and having to back a trailer up with the tall reverse gear. Still have a few days to change my order to auto and definitely thinking about it. Been a manual guy my whole life, however, pretty concerned with this 6-speed when towing, reversing and adding bigger tires. Seems like the auto can handle all the, but I will lose the fun factor.
I’ve seen other people say that they will sometimes just go to 4L when backing up and taking the boat out of the boat ramp. I haven’t towed anything heavy yet, so haven’t verified this, but possibly in the next few months. I’m just going to stay away from the max tow limit and I think I’ll be fine.

MemphisMississipp

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport Max Tow Pkg Gobi
Occupation
Retired Fed X truck driver
My in-laws have the same trailer and we will be taking it off their hands when they're ready. Are you using a weight distributing hitch or anything?
No, the dealer said i didn’t need one. I feel like it would help when the semis blow by. I’m still on the fence right now. I’ve got max tow and weight distribution seems ok. I may have electronic sway on my truck, don’t know. Have to find my sticker. You’ll love the trailer, it’s awesome.

Mr.volleyball13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiaor
I’ve seen other people say that they will sometimes just go to 4L when backing up and taking the boat out of the boat ramp. I haven’t towed anything heavy yet, so haven’t verified this, but possibly in the next few months. I’m just going to stay away from the max tow limit and I think I’ll be fine.
Thank you for sharing. How was your impressions so far towing? I won't need to tow anything more than 2700 -3000 pounds. I do have to reverse in a few challenging driveways though.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
No, the dealer said i didn’t need one. I feel like it would help when the semis blow by. I’m still on the fence right now. I’ve got max tow and weight distribution seems ok. I may have electronic sway on my truck, don’t know. Have to find my sticker. You’ll love the trailer, it’s awesome.
The dealer said ? That's a good one. Funny.

Sponsored

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
What timing. I have a Mojave (manual) and came to this site to start searching for peoples experiences with the Mojave and towing a boat. I’m looking at a 19’-21’ aluminum center console right now, and figured I should stick to aluminum for the weight while I have the Mojave. Good to hear your towing experience was positive towing glass. I think I’d rather tow on the highway with a manual so I can decide which gear to be in vs the computer getting confused and constantly changing gears.
Thanks for the post
Down at sea level and not much for hills you'll tow alright with that manual up to 3500 lbs. I live at 4000' and tow up to 7000'...where I live my crank torque rating drops from the sad 260 ft/lbs to 230 ft/lbs, about 11.5% total (3% loss every 1000' elevation gain). So I tow 3000 lbs pretty regular on 37's but only possible with 4.88 axle ratios imo. I need to be 3000 rpm in 4th (tow gear) around 64 mph to get my stuff down the road acceptably and hold moderate hills. 12 mpg sounds right, about what I get towing. The boat was just a friends, they look lightweight to me but I felt it more than I expected, did fantastic though, ideal match really, it's an enclosed cargo trailer camper build I pull that's 3000 lbs, I'm not sure what that Lund fishing boat weighs? I would not want to pull more than a few thousand pounds in a gasoline gladiator for a number of reasons, regardless of transmission.

my next ride will have a spin whistle ;)

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
The manual mode for the automatic is fantastic. I've not daily driven an auto before the JTR, and I have enjoyed the heck out of the powertrain on this truck.

I put a Hurst shifter in my '97 Ranger, I love me some manuals, but ZF has changed my mind about automatics.

What timing. I have a Mojave (manual) and came to this site to start searching for peoples experiences with the Mojave and towing a boat. I’m looking at a 19’-21’ aluminum center console right now, and figured I should stick to aluminum for the weight while I have the Mojave. Good to hear your towing experience was positive towing glass. I think I’d rather tow on the highway with a manual so I can decide which gear to be in vs the computer getting confused and constantly changing gears.
Thanks for the post

Casmojave

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave
I have pulled a 23’ pontoon boat a good distance picking it up from the dealer mostly flat land and was surprised, but don’t think I would do that at on a regular basis. It was right at its limit.

it_trailblzr

First Name
Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTO
Occupation
Social Extrovert
Did our first tow with the Mojave this past week, here’s the report.

2022 Mojave, hard top, v6 gas, 8 speed automatic with towing package.
Towing 18.5’ ActionCraft flats boat.
Weight of boat, motor, and trailer: 3200 lbs.
Trip distance: 1,125 miles total. Newnan GA to Anna Maria FL.

Weve taken this trip multiple times with our previous vehicle, a 2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium 4x4. Its a simple drive, SR16 to I-75 and then I-75 all the way to Bradenton and then a short trip from the exit to the Island. This time we decide on the trip down to take a route that would allow us to keep the speed below 60 with a bunch of slow areas through numerous small towns. This was actually the shortest distance but added 3 hours to the trip because of the slow downs. No issues, averaged 13.5 mpg. The return trip we took our regular I-75 route. We kept our average speed at 65mph Occasionally going to 70-75 when passing. RPMs at that speed were about 2k. No issues, averaged 13.5 mpg again.

Overall I’m pleased with the Gladiator‘s towing capabilities, even though a 3200lb boat doesn’t really put it to the test. We found it far more comfortable than the 4Runner although a little noisier as expected. I’m still not used to the 8spd transmission and its shifting characteristics. My 4Runner was the same way, like its not sure sometimes what gear it wants to be in. I noticed the engine temp never got to half, even when driving through town. Any questions ask away.

D8BD6D05-2A99-4E39-8EFA-6D8BB7C1B815.jpeg

57FA1012-6612-431A-906C-2AD82EFA76D5.jpeg

42A54335-91C3-4D65-A40A-05717493086A.jpeg
Yum, grouper!

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
The manual has only like a 3,500 tow rating; food for thought.
4500 on Mojave and Rubicon, 4000 on everything else. I'm starting my search for lightweight campers now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Snook

Snook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Graphic designer
Coweta county has changed since I left 20-25 years ago. Went to EC when there was only the one county HS and city school.

nice boat you’ve got there and nice catch

here’s a shot of my Yami 242 Limited SE approx 6200# all in

AF8580CC-B22F-4B98-8960-2223AEEBC090.jpeg

DDA99B74-E052-44A5-856A-2CE738ADBFD4.jpeg

1C28802D-9863-4116-969B-92E059A281D6.jpeg
beautiful boat. I almost got the Sting Grey, but opted for the Sarge Green. What lake is that in the photos?

Osteodoc08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
Lake Allatoona at the Bartow Beach Access Point/Ramp. Went to Blockhouse prior but was hit twice in one year. Damaged my trailer once and messed up my Bumper and quarter panel on my previous F-150.

danimal2000

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
thanks for all the info everyone, excited for our first trip towing a 17 foot camper, glad to see people reporting 12ish MPG. i've towed this camper well over 30k miles with a Jeep Liberty and it handled pretty well, but MPG was usually sub-10. Will be using the same weight distribution hitch as I did with the liberty. Leaving saturday, ill report back on how it goes and of course post a photo

Ray Howrad

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S w/ Tow Package
Thanks! It’ll be an awesome upgrade from our Jayco popup. Those Nucamps are such high quality.

Eaglebob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator High Altitude
I’ve been moving what we don’t absolutely need to our retirement home a little at a time in my High Altitude. 15 mpg even going over 15 between Barstow and Vegas, there are a couple good climbs. Been very happy with the Glad.
Jeep Gladiator First Tow with the Mojave - Report 4ADE3B81-BF10-4574-AA22-4CD9178E67D7
Sponsored