Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I am thinking it has to be shocks. I just don't understand why a lot of other people aren't having the same issue.
bilsteins are a good shock. A lot of people do have this issue. Its pretty prevalent and a commmon complaint specific to the Rubicon. Most people either jump right into aftermarket suspension options right away before adding a bunch of weight or use it in stock form as a daily driver with little to no added weight so those folks wouldnt notice the issue much. But for those who choose to add things like a canopy and gear and carry other people without upgrading suspension components have done a lot of complaining. I know in mine, when totally stock, it was great. But as soon as I added a 175 pound canopy and some gear, it was noticeable. Only once so far have I loaded it down with stuff and carried 3 other people. It felt down right dangerous then.
Sponsored

2tall

First Name
Carmino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRM
Occupation
Engineer
Buy Mohave shocks. Game changer for float on the highway.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Before I bought my Mojave, I drove essentially every model and found the Rubicon to be pretty badly under-damped.

I think the behavior you are describing (a low frequency float, not a high frequency bounce or pogo, more like a wallow ) is what you would experience with soft springs and soft shocks. A higher rate pogo would be more the result of stiffer springs and softer shocks that aren't well matched to the springs.

As someone mentioned above, buying used "take off" Mojave shocks might be a good option for you.

OP
OP
TahoeJohnny

TahoeJohnny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler TJ, Wrangler Hard Rock, Patriot
Before I bought my Mojave, I drove essentially every model and found the Rubicon to be pretty badly under-damped.

I think the behavior you are describing (a low frequency float, not a high frequency bounce or pogo, more like a wallow ) is what you would experience with soft springs and soft shocks. A higher rate pogo would be more the result of stiffer springs and softer shocks that aren't well matched to the springs.

As someone mentioned above, buying used "take off" Mojave shocks might be a good option for you.
Thanks, I think you are dead on. I will look into used Mojave shocks and see the difference for new Bilstein 5100s. If not much, I will probably give the 5100s a try. Thanks!

JETNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Customer Support Coordinator
Interesting reading this post after completing my first road trip in my JT. 8 hour drive to Florida and I noticed that with probably 125 lbs or so of gear that the drive was noticeable but not too bad. But once I picked up my brother, adding another 275 lbs of people/gear, that it was more noticeable.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TahoeJohnny

TahoeJohnny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting reading this post after completing my first road trip in my JT. 8 hour drive to Florida and I noticed that with probably 125 lbs or so of gear that the drive was noticeable but not too bad. But once I picked up my brother, adding another 275 lbs of people/gear, that it was more noticeable.
Well I hate to say it, but I'm actually glad you are also having problems. At least I know it's not specific. But I am sorry you have the same issue. Mine is drastic, and as I mentioned, I have numerous off-road jeeps so I know and do not expect a comfortable ride. But this is downright dangerous!
I am ordering up a set of the Bilstein shocks and hopefully that will greatly improve the situation.
I will post the results.

JETNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Occupation
Customer Support Coordinator
@TahoeJohnny, I understand what you're saying. In my case, it didn't feel dangerous, just noticeable. It did make me wonder what would happen with more of a load, so I'll be interested to see how you make out.

Are you just changing shocks, no springs?

I went by my local dealership yesterday to ask about this, I didn't get any useful information. I was contemplating a 2" mopar lift in the future, but not sure if that would help at all.

OP
OP
TahoeJohnny

TahoeJohnny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@TahoeJohnny, I understand what you're saying. In my case, it didn't feel dangerous, just noticeable. It did make me wonder what would happen with more of a load, so I'll be interested to see how you make out.

Are you just changing shocks, no springs?

I went by my local dealership yesterday to ask about this, I didn't get any useful information. I was contemplating a 2" mopar lift in the future, but not sure if that would help at all.
When I am by myself with no load, it's not good but par for the Jeep course. But when I had five 200 lb plus guys and luggage in the back, it was seriously dangerous above 70 miles an hour.
I am just going to replace the shocks. If you add a lift, that typically is going to make it worse, but assuming you're going to get better shocks and better springs, it actually might be better. I have a 5-in Metal Cloak long arm lift on my TJ and I love it. If you go with a lift, I would seriously look at Metal Cloak. Great reputation and I am so happy.

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
For shocks for a stock Rubi JT, we'd had a lot of luck swapping in the Bilstein 5100s (someone else mention above) and the Fox 2.0s.

Bilstein 5100 Rear 0-1" Lift:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/shocks/33-304854-bilstein-5100-series-shock-rear-0-1in-lift
Bilstein 5100 Front 0-1" Lift:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/shocks/33-304847-bilstein-b8-5100-shock-absorber-front-1-5in-lift

Fox 2.0 Front 0-1" Lift:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...rformance-series-ifp-shock-front-0-1-5in-lift
Fox 2.0 Rear 0-1" Lift:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...-series-2-0-smooth-body-shock-rear-1-5in-lift

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
You are not sagged to the bump stops on the rear springs are you? One other observation, if you did not buy this truck new yourself, previous owner could have had a lift on the JT with rear bump stop extensions. Dealer or PO could have removed lift and left extended bump stops on your JT. If so you are probably riding on the bump stop rubber and that will definitely cause what you are describing. This will be in the rear of the JT more than likely. Yet, check the front as well.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
When I am by myself with no load, it's not good but par for the Jeep course. But when I had five 200 lb plus guys and luggage in the back, it was seriously dangerous above 70 miles an hour.
I am just going to replace the shocks. If you add a lift, that typically is going to make it worse, but assuming you're going to get better shocks and better springs, it actually might be better. I have a 5-in Metal Cloak long arm lift on my TJ and I love it. If you go with a lift, I would seriously look at Metal Cloak. Great reputation and I am so happy.
a lift done correctly does not make it worse, but better - too often people just throw a random lift at a vehicle without considering true performance needs which usually does result in worse performance.

the bigger problem here is although the rubi shocks are sub par, your already exceeding gvw.

5 guys at 200lbs each is 1000 pounds plus bags easily puts you over 1300 pounds. The Rubi only has about 1066 pounds worth of carrying capacity until GVW is exceeded. I suspect you were riding on bump stops. In that scenario, a lift with a higher capacity set of springs is necessary. Or carry less people and cargo. Any vehicle is going to feel terrible with exceeding its designed ratings without modifying appropriately.
Sponsored