Sponsored

For Jscan users...how do you get to these cables..

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It wasn't easy, the 2022 is the same if not just a little worse (or else I'm getting older?)
Before I got the extensions, with my 2020 one time I used really long long nose pliers to depress the tab and pull down. Another time I used a long skinny screwdriver to press the tab while I pulled wiht my other hand.
I can't reach up there without cuts and scratches. I can touch the connector and tab, but can't get a finger and a thumb up there to pull.
Once I got the extension cable set - that stayed there.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Are you pulling the knee bolster panel below the steering wheel off? That opens a lot of room to at least look up in there to see where it is at.
Not on mine it didn't. Still couldn't see up between the braces and wires that block the path.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It'll just take some practice to get to. It took me forever the first time trying to figure out how to get them out I want to say, now I can do it by feel and have my JSCAN plugged in in about 2 minutes.
Not with my Overlands. Both the 2020 and 2022 were nightmares to get those plugs out. Thus the extension cable set. Remove the plugs one time, insert the extension and never suffer sore hands again. (and I'm used to dash work and wiring)
There was never a way to do more than get one finger up there to the tab and once you had a finger on the tab, there was no space left to pull on the plug.
On mine I actually had to press the tab with a finger on one hand while the other hand pulled down on the wires below. Something I tell my wife never to do when unplugging appliances, etc.
I've used a screwdriver to press the tab while I pull the wires down, and I've had very long long nosed pliers up there before. After a few times messing with those cables on my 2020, I bought the extensions.
Then when I traded trucks, it was really tempting just to say screw it and buy another extension cable set, but I braved the scratched hands and pulled the extension back out and put it in my new truck.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Not with my Overlands. Both the 2020 and 2022 were nightmares to get those plugs out. Thus the extension cable set. Remove the plugs one time, insert the extension and never suffer sore hands again. (and I'm used to dash work and wiring)
There was never a way to do more than get one finger up there to the tab and once you had a finger on the tab, there was no space left to pull on the plug.
On mine I actually had to press the tab with a finger on one hand while the other hand pulled down on the wires below. Something I tell my wife never to do when unplugging appliances, etc.
I've used a screwdriver to press the tab while I pull the wires down, and I've had very long long nosed pliers up there before. After a few times messing with those cables on my 2020, I bought the extensions.
Then when I traded trucks, it was really tempting just to say screw it and buy another extension cable set, but I braved the scratched hands and pulled the extension back out and put it in my new truck.
Hmm I wonder just how far up they are on other models. It’s all muscle memory for me getting in there now. 30 seconds flat.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Hmm I wonder just how far up they are on other models. It’s all muscle memory for me getting in there now. 30 seconds flat.
It is in the same spot on every model. Some people have a different perception on difficulty to see and get to it.

Sponsored

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
There's a loose harness in that area that goes nowhere in my gladiator. I always wondered what it was for. Maybe something to do with that wiring bundle that I don't have
Uh, that's odd. Did you buy yours used? It's almost impossible to describe via text, but the female ends of the cables are ridiculously high and tucked up behind some metal brace that makes reaching them with your bare hands a nightmare.

The difficulty reaching these cables may vary by trim level, but I can't see any reason yours would just be dangling there. Have you plugged anything into your OBD port? Does it work?

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Uh, that's odd. Did you buy yours used? It's almost impossible to describe via text, but the female ends of the cables are ridiculously high and tucked up behind some metal brace that makes reaching them with your bare hands a nightmare.

The difficulty reaching these cables may vary by trim level, but I can't see any reason yours would just be dangling there. Have you plugged anything into your OBD port? Does it work?
The female ends of the security cable aren't dangling there, but there's another unconnected harness that probably goes to either some accessory I don't have or else to some dealership tool near it. Mine are still behind that metal brace.

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
The female ends of the security cable aren't dangling there, but there's another unconnected harness that probably goes to either some accessory I don't have or else to some dealership tool near it. Mine are still behind that metal brace.
Now you got me curious... Not curious enough to get my hands all effed up again, but I'd still like to know what it is you're seeing... lol

In3briatedPanda

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Freedom Edition Max Tow
Occupation
Automotive
I did not have issues. i also ordered the extensions cables and leave it plugged in and zip tied to the back of the knee bolster. Plenty of slack to remove said panel and not pull/tug on the harness.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
It is in the same spot on every model. Some people have a different perception on difficulty to see and get to it.
LOL, it is a major pain in the rear. But like most things, if you are dedicated enough you can figure it out.

My preferred technique is to twist my spine into a 3D S shape, then look up with my phone's flash light, cuss up a storm, then sit back up knowing rouhgly where the harnesses are, use my right hand up to find the clip, use the index finger to push in the clip and then the pinky and ring finger to pull the cabling down. Comes right out. I think the cussing helps.

tysongladiator

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Learner
Vehicle Showcase
Strange thing. I've ordered three of everything for friends with JLs to help them with Jscan. And not one of their JLs have that metal brace under the dash that is in the way.
Sponsored