Forward Collision Warning (FCW) - and its indicator light

eroomtc

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GMC Sierra, 2016 JK, bunch of bikes
The FCW light in the center display shows there FCW is OFF. I for the life of me can find anywhere on how to toggle the FCW off & on. I checked that printed and on-line manuals to no avail. Any suggestions?
Sponsored

Pion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gladiator LE, '17 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Principal
In the Settings app, go to the Driver Aid and Safety section (titled something like that) and you should see the FCW setting to be warning only, warn and brake, and what distance it triggers at. I had to turn mine on when I picked it up from the dealer too.

OP
OP

eroomtc

First Name
Felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GMC Sierra, 2016 JK, bunch of bikes
In the Settings app, go to the Driver Aid and Safety section (titled something like that) and you should see the FCW setting to be warning only, warn and brake, and what distance it triggers at. I had to turn mine on when I picked it up from the dealer too.
Thanks - I knew there was a way - just could not find it.

JP1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Build Thread
Link
yup, +1.
was told the yard guys turn it off for movement.

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE 2018 JLUR
There are several you tube videos on how to turn it on and off!

Sponsored

Braunsemail

First Name
Braun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wrangler JK Unlimited
yup, +1.
was told the yard guys turn it off for movement.
Thanks for the heads up on this my dealer didn’t turn mine on. It also caused a traction control warning light that went away after it was turned back on.

Not sure why the traction control would be affected.

JustScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Unlimited Sahara
Does forward collision warning only work with adaptive cruise control? I take a ferry every day, and its nice to hear the beeping to tell me when I'm close to the car in front of me. My wife's nissan armada does that, it also has the 3d view above the entire car. Anyone familiar? Just got the gladiator yesterday, and didn't get those beeps. It is turned on.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Does forward collision warning only work with adaptive cruise control? I take a ferry every day, and its nice to hear the beeping to tell me when I'm close to the car in front of me. My wife's nissan armada does that, it also has the 3d view above the entire car. Anyone familiar? Just got the gladiator yesterday, and didn't get those beeps. It is turned on.
FCW and ACC are two different systems that use the same camera. I've only had FCW trigger a few times, but it lets you get closer than I am comfortable with. I've had FCW trigger twice while ACC was active from a car cutting in front of me. Both times it disabled the ACC and it wouldn't work again until turning off and restarting the truck.

JustScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Unlimited Sahara
FCW and ACC are two different systems that use the same camera. I've only had FCW trigger a few times, but it lets you get closer than I am comfortable with. I've had FCW trigger twice while ACC was active from a car cutting in front of me. Both times it disabled the ACC and it wouldn't work again until turning off and restarting the truck.
Do you need to be going a certain speed for fcw? On the ferry we are inching. My wife’s car will beep and then be a steady beeping noise when you are about to bump. Going to test it out tomorrow.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you need to be going a certain speed for fcw? On the ferry we are inching. My wife’s car will beep and then be a steady beeping noise when you are about to bump. Going to test it out tomorrow.
The FCW is not supposed to be speed dependent. As I understand it from the manual, FCW may not activate or trigger a warning if you are braking. It may depend on whether or not you are braking enough to avoid hitting the object in front of you.

Sponsored

JustScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Unlimited Sahara
The FCW is not supposed to be speed dependent. As I understand it from the manual, FCW may not activate or trigger a warning if you are braking. It may depend on whether or not you are braking enough to avoid hitting the object in front of you.
I tried getting on peoples asses yesterday while driving, but nothing kicked in. Very confusing.

Rokon

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
I think you are confusing some features. FCW is not for help in parking, That is what Parking Assist is for and I believe, only when in reverse. Check your settings to make sure both are activated.
FCW takes some doing to set off. There is an alert and if needed active braking. (If turned on in settings). It takes into account driver inputs to determine if you are in control. It's not that easy to set it off. I've gotten the alert a few times but never had the vehicle brake.
Never tried to force the situation to get it to work.....that seems like a bad idea, especially if after the fact you discover the braking was disabled.......
FCW disables if triggered 3 times until the ignition cycles. They don't want you “testing” the feature.

JustScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Unlimited Sahara
I think you are confusing some features. FCW is not for help in parking, That is what Parking Assist is for and I believe, only when in reverse. Check your settings to make sure both are activated.
FCW takes some doing to set off. There is an alert and if needed active braking. (If turned on in settings). It takes into account driver inputs to determine if you are in control. It's not that easy to set it off. I've gotten the alert a few times but never had the vehicle brake.
Never tried to force the situation to get it to work.....that seems like a bad idea, especially if after the fact you discover the braking was disabled.......
FCW disables if triggered 3 times until the ignition cycles. They don't want you “testing” the feature.
I set it off yesterday when I had to stop short! It didn’t break, but it beeped. I wonder if there is a way to change the sensitivity? I was like 3 feet or closer to the car when it beeped. It seemed a bit late.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I set it off yesterday when I had to stop short! It didn’t break, but it beeped. I wonder if there is a way to change the sensitivity? I was like 3 feet or closer to the car when it beeped. It seemed a bit late.
There are three distance settings, Jeep recommends the middle setting, and the automatic braking can be turned off (warning only). I think it is in the Safety settings.

Tire Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon JT, 2017 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales Director Alloy Wheel Repair
Mine went off 3 different times and slammed on the brakes for no reason. Was not close to anybody. Luckily all times I was in slow traffic. I moved it to warning only. I'm not confident in the system or the dealers ability to find and fix.
Sponsored