Sponsored

Front and rear differential skid plates that don’t bolt to differential cover.

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator Rubicon, 2014 Highlander, 2007 BMW 335i (725 whp)
Anyone know of any differential skid plates that don’t utilize the differential cover bolts.
I bought ARB differential covers and Rancho Differential glide plates, well the skid plates wont work with the ARB covers because of the thickness of the covers.
So unless I machine down the ARB covers (which I don’t really want to do) I want to find skid plates that will work with the ARB covers.
Any suggestions?
Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Anyone know of any differential skid plates that don’t utilize the differential cover bolts.
I bought ARB differential covers and Rancho Differential glide plates, well the skid plates wont work with the ARB covers because of the thickness of the covers.
So unless I machine down the ARB covers (which I don’t really want to do) I want to find skid plates that will work with the ARB covers.
Any suggestions?
Casey 250 found this issue. Here is a link to his video...

For this reason, I went with Metalcloak for the diff covers and skids... The front skid has separate bosses on the diff cover for attachment. the bolts are separate from the bolts that screw into the axle... Of course, this skid can only be used with the Metalcloak cover... The rear metalcloak skid is excellent and can be used with any diff cover. Both skids are tucked in nice with minimal clearance losses.

Here is a link to my install.. Take a look at a few pages and you will see a discussion.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...hile-off-road-lifted.31324/page-5#post-523350

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...hile-off-road-lifted.31324/page-6#post-525805

OP
OP
GoVR46

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Casey 250 found this issue. Here is a link to his video...

For this reason, I went with Metalcloak for the diff covers and skids... The front skid has separate bosses on the diff cover for attachment. the bolts are separate from the bolts that screw into the axle... Of course, this skid can only be used with the Metalcloak cover... The rear metalcloak skid is excellent and can be used with any diff cover. Both skids are tucked in nice with minimal clearance losses.

Here is a link to my install.. Take a look at a few pages and you will see a discussion.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...hile-off-road-lifted.31324/page-5#post-523350

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...hile-off-road-lifted.31324/page-6#post-525805
Thanks for the reply, yeah If I didn’t already install the ARB covers I would have definitely went with the Metalcloak setup. I’m probably going to end up modding the covers so the sliders will fit.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
EDIT:
After thinking the metal cloak front and rear diff protection was for me I was wrong. Reading their site it looks like their front diff cover/skid kit doesn't allow use with the stock front trackbar. I almost missed that and am not planning on upgrading that yet. Worth noting an additional unplanned expense. Also they only work with rubicons....

TLDR: front diff protection requires after market track bar and only works with rubicons
rear diff pro meant to work with lifted JTs

Last edited:

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Any suggestions?
Finally got time to install my front differential cover and skid. More work than expected, it was like the factory used locktight on the cover bolts. Now front and rear are protected

Jeep Gladiator Front and rear differential skid plates that don’t bolt to differential cover. IMG_20200920_130949

Jeep Gladiator Front and rear differential skid plates that don’t bolt to differential cover. IMG_20191109_082708

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
EDIT:
After thinking the metal cloak front and rear diff protection was for me I was wrong. Reading their site it looks like their front diff cover/skid kit doesn't allow use with the stock front trackbar. I almost missed that and am not planning on upgrading that yet. Worth noting an additional unplanned expense. Also they only work with rubicons....

TLDR: front diff protection requires after market track bar and only works with rubicons
rear diff pro meant to work with lifted JTs
I put Metalcloak front and rear diff covers and skid plates on a stock JT Rubicon with manual transmission with no track bar interference issues. I used the supplied silicone for the diff cover instead of the reusable rubber gasket on the stock cover. This practice will insure that you have plenty of clearance.

HGLXNi.jpg

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Wished I had read more closely the Permatex was supplied in the kit, I ordered that and synthetic gear oil from Amazon when I ordered from MC. Chris called me up to let me know the rear skid might be a week and a half out, I've NEVER had a head's up from a vendor like that!

I put Metalcloak front and rear diff covers and skid plates on a stock JT Rubicon with manual transmission with no track bar interference issues. I used the supplied silicone for the diff cover instead of the reusable rubber gasket on the stock cover. This practice will insure that you have plenty of clearance.

Jeep Gladiator Front and rear differential skid plates that don’t bolt to differential cover. HGLXNi

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Gladiator Front and rear differential skid plates that don’t bolt to differential cover. HGLXNi
I did the same but have yet to get off road to flex the suspension and see if there is any interference with track bar. Have you tested your Rubicon on full compression yet and if so did the cover clear?

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370

Interested to see if you have any contact at full flex. Their site also references rubicon models only so still not an option for me. Sport S 6MT.

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Why would you need a skid in addition to the ARB cover? The cover should be enough protection.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GoVR46

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why would you need a skid in addition to the ARB cover? The cover should be enough protection.
Because a skid helps slide over rocks and protects the bottom of the diff, a diff cover only helps to protect a direct hit to the face of the diff cover.

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Because a skid helps slide over rocks and protects the bottom of the diff, a diff cover only helps to protect a direct hit to the face of the diff cover.
Ok makes sense. I have never run a diff skid but have run diff covers mostly ARB on my past and current Jeep. I have wheeled some pretty rough black and red rock trails at Rausch Creek without damage issue to the diffs. I will say that I have been hung up at the diffs though many times and it’s possible a skid down there could have helped slide over instead of changing my line. However there are likely other times that my clearance is higher without a skid and allows me to get over stuff that a skid may have dragged on instead.

OP
OP
GoVR46

GoVR46

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok makes sense. I have never run a diff skid but have run diff covers mostly ARB on my past and current Jeep. I have wheeled some pretty rough black and red rock trails at Rausch Creek without damage issue to the diffs. I will say that I have been hung up at the diffs though many times and it’s possible a skid down there could have helped slide over instead of changing my line. However there are likely other times that my clearance is higher without a skid and allows me to get over stuff that a skid may have dragged on instead.
I too have been hung up a couple of times on my front diff. But then again I was not lifted at the time. Since lifting the truck 3.5 inches I have not had a problem yet with getting hung on the front diff. So as you did I am now skipping the idea of a front diff slider for the additional ground clearance.
Sponsored