Sponsored

FS SUV options

Osteodoc08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
I’ve been a Ford guy most my life for FS pick ups and SUV. My dang 2018 expedition is making me rethink that. Damn rear end out at 70K due to faulty ELSD locker $2300 repair. Now VCT issues $3500 but Ford knows about it and will cover 33% since I’m 86K miles. What’s next? Transmission? Turbos? What ever happened to plain V8 durable transmission and room for my family.

don’t want GM product so that leaves Toyota Sequoia (old dated design) or Nissan Armada. I need 3 rows for my boys aged 14, 11, 7, 6. Looked at Lexus GX460 but too small.

Might consider GC L.

I want a proven design with reliability. What happened to 200k relatively trouble free m
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been a Ford guy most my life for FS pick ups and SUV. My dang 2018 expedition is making me rethink that. Damn rear end out at 70K due to faulty ELSD locker $2300 repair. Now VCT issues $3500 but Ford knows about it and will cover 33% since I’m 86K miles. What’s next? Transmission? Turbos? What ever happened to plain V8 durable transmission and room for my family.

don’t want GM product so that leaves Toyota Sequoia (old dated design) or Nissan Armada. I need 3 rows for my boys aged 14, 11, 7, 6. Looked at Lexus GX460 but too small.

Might consider GC L.

I want a proven design with reliability. What happened to 200k relatively trouble free m
My wife LOVES her Grand Cherokees and won't even look at anything else. She's had great luck with them. The only issues have been small and resolved by the dealer easily (2018 GC had both batteries go bad, her new 2021 had spark plugs changed under warranty)
I'd trust one to drive anywhere. Quiet, ride nice, really good on gas (she does 25+)
She doesn't have the L version but it's based on a proven platform.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
My wife LOVES her Grand Cherokees and won't even look at anything else. She's had great luck with them. The only issues have been small and resolved by the dealer easily (2018 GC had both batteries go bad, her new 2021 had spark plugs changed under warranty)
I'd trust one to drive anywhere. Quiet, ride nice, really good on gas (she does 25+)
She doesn't have the L version but it's based on a proven platform.
The Wagoneer is able to be spec'd to tow up to 10,000 lbs, with a payload of 1440 to 1500 lbs, as well. But I think it, along with the "Grand" version, is on a Ram 1500 frame. And it's also at least $75000 with the tow package. Otherwise, maybe we don't really need pickups afterall, with what full sized SUVs can do now. The GC towing specs are even more impressive to me than the Wagoneer, because it's unibody.

OP
OP

Osteodoc08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
Wagoneer is a natural option but new design and a bit too costly. I’m gonna wait on something like that

Sponsored

SwankyTiger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WRX
you are talking 200 series land cruiser. Either the Toyota or the Lexus LX570. Your only options are the 200, sequoia, Armada(i trust modern nissan less than anyone), or the GM tahoeburbanyukoncalade.

and all are very expensive new.

SwankyTiger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WRX
Also with 4 boys you might be in Van territory now.

blau iii

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 335i, 2014 X5, 2021 JTR
Build Thread
Link
We're in the same boat... 3 kids, all fast approaching their teens. We actually just off-loaded my wife's x5 with the 3rd row because the used market is insane and we got a killer offer. She wanted a range rover but the 3rd row in the RRS is useless. Now she's liking the Tesla Model X. There aren't a ton of options. Everything has a turbo and a ton of electronics.

SwankyTiger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WRX
Modern SUV's are only good for 5 people max in my opinion, The 3rd rows have stupidly high floors which are only OK for children and any teen/adult is going to be cramped back there. Once you get to 6 people you need to go to the Van or MiniVan.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Wow that is a BUMMER. My BIL is still angry a dozen years after shuffling off his Expedition to Carmax because the camshaft phasers were a fundamentally flawed design. I can't believe it's still a thing.

They switched to an Armada, kids and a boat to tow to a mountain lake, really good results with over 150K. Sister switched to a Cayenne as the kids flew the nest last year, but the Great White Whale was very good to them.

Might consider GC L.

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Have you been in modern large SUV's? Not the unibody cars. The new GM's have IRS and much lower rear floor levels. The Fords and Nissans have had IRS for fifteen years or more for the same reason. The interior room is very well designed for 7-Up on a number of different platforms.

Mini-van doors are the best but everything else a car doing a truck's work.

Modern SUV's are only good for 5 people max in my opinion, The 3rd rows have stupidly high floors which are only OK for children and any teen/adult is going to be cramped back there. Once you get to 6 people you need to go to the Van or MiniVan.

SwankyTiger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WRX
Have you been in modern large SUV's? Not the unibody cars. The new GM's have IRS and much lower rear floor levels. The Fords and Nissans have had IRS for fifteen years or more for the same reason. The interior room is very well designed for 7-Up on a number of different platforms.

Mini-van doors are the best but everything else a car doing a truck's work.
just the solid rear axle stuff. My moms 16 Highlander the 3rd row is on the floor(though that might be the unibody car you are talking about)

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Yes, the later model Highlanders are MUCH bigger than they used to be, but are a Camry pan for the unibody.

The IRS designs give much more packaging flexibility for the body on frame SUV's.

just the solid rear axle stuff. My moms 16 Highlander the 3rd row is on the floor(though that might be the unibody car you are talking about)

SwankyTiger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WRX
Yes, the later model Highlanders are MUCH bigger than they used to be, but are a Camry pan for the unibody.

The IRS designs give much more packaging flexibility for the body on frame SUV's.
yea ive been looking at 200 series cruisers before i ordered my JTWD. I am a big mini van fan as a people mover though.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Pretty sure you don't want to tow a 5,000 lb boat and trailer with a mini-van though!

yea ive been looking at 200 series cruisers before i ordered my JTWD. I am a big mini van fan as a people mover though.
Sponsored