FS SUV options

OP
OP

Osteodoc08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
A minivan won’t tow my 6500# boat or travel trailer. I don’t think I could stomach the idea of a minivan.
Sponsored

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
We picked up a 3-row 21' Mazda CX-9 Carbon Edition for a great deal and absolutely love it. Fit & finish are eons ahead of anything in the high 30's, low 40s. They eek a lot of power out of the turbo 4-pot in it. It gaps our neighbor's JKU gasser on 35s and handles more like a large crossover than any other SUV. You mentioned a desire to tow. If that isn't an absolute must, have a gander at one for sure. Specifically the carbon line, gobs of bang for the buck. The polymetal blue & red leather, heated/cooled seats etc. are all standard on the carbon.

Aside from that, the 4Runner offers a 3rd row. We loved ours, parted with it due to a random great offer we couldn't pass up but yeah, I think they are rated at 5k for towing.

Jeep Gladiator FS SUV options cx-9-carbon

Jeep Gladiator FS SUV options 2021-mazda-cx-9-carbon-edition-red-leather-interior-1024x683

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
I was thinking longevity. Honda pilot. Proven design. Runs forever, decent gas mileage, low maintenance costs. Says towing up to 5k with ease properly equipped

OP
OP

Osteodoc08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
Towing is a must. Have my 25’ boat and plan on a TT approx 8K# next year

SwankyTiger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WRX
Towing is a must. Have my 25’ boat and plan on a TT approx 8K# next year
Armada is at 8500lbs max tow rating
Sequoia is 7400 max
200 series land cruiser is at 8100
Tahoe/Yukon is 8400
Infiniti QX80 is 8500
Ford Expedition is 9,300 pounds
Dodge Durango SRT, R/T is 8,700 pounds
Lincoln Navigator is 8,700 pounds

so your not ford or GM options are the Nissan Armada/QX80, Durango which might be too small or a 200 series land cruiser/LX570

Sponsored

OP
OP

Osteodoc08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
Ex GF had a 2018 pilot elite. Shut off all the time and wouldn’t restart. Once on a busy interstate. 3 dealers never could determine what was wrong with it. She recorded on her phone the issues while they were happening. Lots of error codes but no solution. Honda America couldn’t care less. Very disappointing.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Ex GF had a 2018 pilot elite. Shut off all the time and wouldn’t restart. Once on a busy interstate. 3 dealers never could determine what was wrong with it. She recorded on her phone the issues while they were happening. Lots of error codes but no solution. Honda America couldn’t care less. Very disappointing.
Bummer. I had a 95 Honda Civic with 580k+ on it and bought a Gladiator diesel. It's been in the shop for a month and a half. Should get it back next week

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Sounds like you need a 2003.5 Ford Excursion with the 7.3. Just sayin'. Those things can be super nice too.

If it wasn't for your towing needs I'd suggest you poke at the new big Subaru. We bought a Forester in 2012 and (knock on wood) it has been an absolutely fantastic car. Pretty uninspiring engine but super reliable.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
Toyota Land Cruiser basic same design built like a rock used world wide. Chevy Suburban, circa 2005, solid builds not to much electronics like anything now a days. I know you don't like Chevy's but a suburban is really hard to beat as a FS SUV.

I would have gone burban for the all the room to sleep, if i didn't also want something to play with in tighter trails. .

OP
OP

Osteodoc08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave
I’m not against GM. Just trying to stay away from brand new designs or changes and they’ve had some major engine issues lately. My ex wife’s 2013 Denali did puke a rod in her 6.2L, but engine was replaced under warranty. I brought it in on a car hauler. Mechanic started it up to back off trailer against my advise and stuck the rod through the block and puked the oil all over the parking lot.

Sponsored

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I’ve been a Ford guy most my life for FS pick ups and SUV. My dang 2018 expedition is making me rethink that. Damn rear end out at 70K due to faulty ELSD locker $2300 repair. Now VCT issues $3500 but Ford knows about it and will cover 33% since I’m 86K miles. What’s next? Transmission? Turbos? What ever happened to plain V8 durable transmission and room for my family.

don’t want GM product so that leaves Toyota Sequoia (old dated design) or Nissan Armada. I need 3 rows for my boys aged 14, 11, 7, 6. Looked at Lexus GX460 but too small.

Might consider GC L.

I want a proven design with reliability. What happened to 200k relatively trouble free m
Nissan Armada is just as old as the Toyota.
Best “steal” is a used QX56/80. Nicer than the Armada with more hours/tq.

$70k+ vehicle can be had for half of that 3-4 years old. Current used maket might have upped their value.

Bullet proof engine and tranny in either armada or QX. Essentially an American Nissan Patrol.

peterpilot379

First Name
Star
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Mojave Gladiator
Occupation
Pirate
We're in the same boat... 3 kids, all fast approaching their teens. We actually just off-loaded my wife's x5 with the 3rd row because the used market is insane and we got a killer offer. She wanted a range rover but the 3rd row in the RRS is useless. Now she's liking the Tesla Model X. There aren't a ton of options. Everything has a turbo and a ton of electronics.
We were looking at a Model X until I rode in one. Not as roomy as advertised in my opinion. Felt more like a car than an SUVish vehicle.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Define "SUV". It's a word from the media and marketing world.
Cherokee and Grand Cherokee - station wagons. That's how they are classified and how they are licensed/registered in many states.
So what's an SUV - a 1970s Bronco or Blazer? A Kia Sportage? (LOL - funny, that's a car)
Since almost anything is available 4 wheel drive or all wheel drive or however it's built or marketed, can't use that any more.
My Eagle SX4 has more ground clearance from the factory than an Escape or Traverse - those are hardly SUVs, they are all wheel drive station wagons.
A modern so-called "SUV" is the natural progression of the station wagon. The Ford Flex was reviewed as a station wagon - it is, but is it much different than many of what folks here have called SUVs?

This is what the 1990s Cherokee, and later, the Grand Cherokee, were based on -
Jeep Gladiator FS SUV options 1658589013984

Modify it a bit , increase the cargo area upward, and you have what people call SUVs, but they are the natural progression from the 1980s station wagon. And that's what they are. Hardly an SUV.
If half of what's been talked about here are what people here consider SUVs, then this pic above is an SUV. Much more ground clearance than a lot of stuff that gets called an SUV, it even has factory skid plates, etc.
And so is this one. Both can drive over road debris, rocks, deep snow, a lot more than what's marketed as SUV.
Jeep Gladiator FS SUV options 20220308_090956_HDR
Sponsored