First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
All of the important stuff, basically. The tires/wheels/fenders are basically cosmetics and the suspension isn't different other than the shocks. The lockers, sway disconnect and armor are what make a rubicon a rubicon. It boils down to whether you're after looks or function. If the latter, get the Rubi, if the former don't, you'll be wasting your money.

I wonder how many rubis have never had their lockers engaged or sway bar disconnected?
Is the transfer case different on the Rubicons as well? I see marketing terms and the “crawl” ratio is different, but I’m not sure if that is made up with the differential gearing or actually a different case. (Also not sure what the different ratios are actually)
Sponsored

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Is the transfer case different on the Rubicons as well? I see marketing terms and the “crawl” ratio is different, but I’m not sure if that is made up with the differential gearing or actually a different case. (Also not sure what the different ratios are actually)
Yes, it has 4:1 low range, though with the auto I don't think it's a huge deal. With stick I think it makes a bigger difference, but that'd be the toughest to replicate as there isn't much aftermarket you can get to replicate it - you'd have to buy a Rubicon t-case if you needed the super low range and I doubt it'd be cheap.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Yes, it has 4:1 low range, though with the auto I don't think it's a huge deal. With stick I think it makes a bigger difference, but that'd be the toughest to replicate as there isn't much aftermarket you can get to replicate it - you'd have to buy a Rubicon t-case if you needed the super low range and I doubt it'd be cheap.
You can get an Atlas transfer case and pick a ratio from 3:1 to 5:1 it’s vastly superior to the rock track (stock rubicon) but overkill for 98% of jeeps

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
You can get an Atlas transfer case and pick a ratio from 3:1 to 5:1 it’s vastly superior to the rock track (stock rubicon) but overkill for 98% of jeeps
True, but they start at like $3k and they don't have a JL/JT model yet I don't think...

Kahless

First Name
Kahless
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Triumph Thunderbird Storm
Dear god that’s expensive for a pickup. Did it cook you breakfast and massage your feet?
you think the 35k for the bare bones no options gladiator is any more sane?? theyre pretty basic vehicles but they charge so much because people are far too happy to pay it. ford averages 16k profit on every f150 and thats even with the massive markdowns you see on some. personally every truck seems to be able 25% more expensive than it should be.

Last edited:

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
you think the 35k for the bare bones no options gladiator is any more sane?? theyre pretty basic vehicles but they charge so much because people are far too happy to pay it. ford averages 16k profit on every f150 and thats even with the massive markdowns you see on some. personally every truck seems to be able 25% more expensive than it should be.
Nope, we're all equally nuts, cause we all pay for it anyway!

That being said, the F-150 does have the massaging seats option. Not feet, but it's a start!
Sponsored