First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
TX Semiconductors
Found some great websites with descriptions of each location in the fuse box. Does anyone have information telling the "on-state" of each fuse? Ignition, lights, all the time, etc.?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Found some great websites with descriptions of each location in the fuse box. Does anyone have information telling the "on-state" of each fuse? Ignition, lights, all the time, etc.?
Why bother looking online or at web sites?
Your truck has the purpose of each fuse right on the lid.

You can tell for most of them when they'll be "hot" based on what they are for. Lights for example - live or hot all the time. HVAC blower, for example - ACC.
Does it matter?
Bottom line - you can test a fuse by checking to see that if one side is hot, the other side is hot, too.

You can push the button without holding the brake pedal and that puts the switch in ACC mode and check those fuses that way, and so on - push it twice without pressing the brake pedal and the switch goes into run mode - then you can check those fuses.

Anyway, most fuses you know when there will be power there based on the key in the cover of your fuse box and looking to see what the fuse is for.

Jeep Gladiator Fuse "on-state" info? 20220331_133307

OP
OP
txGlad

txGlad

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
TX Semiconductors
Why bother looking online or at web sites?
Your truck has the purpose of each fuse right on the lid.

You can tell for most of them when they'll be "hot" based on what they are for. Lights for example - live or hot all the time. HVAC blower, for example - ACC.
Does it matter?
Bottom line - you can test a fuse by checking to see that if one side is hot, the other side is hot, too.

You can push the button without holding the brake pedal and that puts the switch in ACC mode and check those fuses that way, and so on - push it twice without pressing the brake pedal and the switch goes into run mode - then you can check those fuses.

Anyway, most fuses you know when there will be power there based on the key in the cover of your fuse box and looking to see what the fuse is for.

Jeep Gladiator Fuse "on-state" info? 20220331_133307
Thanks. Yes, even in Texas (well, maybe not all parts of Texas) we know how to check a circuit and read the cover of the fuse box. Was hoping that someone had come across some info where someone else had already listed the on-state of each fuse location.

I'm constantly amazed at the wealth of information and member knowledge.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. Yes, even in Texas (well, maybe not all parts of Texas) we know how to check a circuit and read the cover of the fuse box. Was hoping that someone had come across some info where someone else had already listed the on-state of each fuse location.

I'm constantly amazed at the wealth of information and member knowledge.
I'm curious, for what purpose would someone chart such a thing?
From the purpose of the fuse one can tell (in most cases) when the circuit is powered. Most of those have not changed in quite a few years, some go back decades.
Is there an advantage of knowing from a chart?
If there is no power to both sides, then it's off in that switch position.
I don't think anyone has ever done such a thing - and as an automotive electrician, I've never seen nor needed such a thing as you know via test light.
You don't want to be pulling power from those and if troubleshooting one of those circuits, it wouldn't be needed.
So I'm curious the reason or need.

It would be simple for you to chart such a thing............
Check power to the fuses with button not pushed - note numbers of any that are hot
Check power to remaining fuses with button pushed one time for ACC - note numbers
Check power to those not already found to be hot in off or ACC mode with button pressed two times.
Could be done in 30 minutes.
But I'm curious as to why it matters - to what end. That's all. I've restored, built and wired cars for years and never really cared.

Some may be hot all the time because the devices are controlled by relays so some may seem counter to other logic.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
If you're looking to see if a fuse is always-on or if it's paired with ignition, take a meter to it. Simplest way to confirm its state. You'd want to do this no matter what before doing any kind of work on the fuse or its line.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you're looking to see if a fuse is always-on or if it's paired with ignition, take a meter to it. Simplest way to confirm its state. You'd want to do this no matter what before doing any kind of work on the fuse or its line.
I always take a small test light and ground the lead to the body ground - touch the top test terminals on the fuse in question.
Takes seconds to check several fuses that way.
There exposed terminals on the top for that purpose.
If one side is hot, there's power to the fuse. If the other side is hot, the fuse is good. If the other side is not hot, the fuse is bad. You can test all of the fuses very quickly.

Those open spots are for checking the fuse without even pulling it.
You can tell if it's good,
You can tell if that specific circuit is currently hot, or off when the ign switch is off, etc.

Jeep Gladiator Fuse "on-state" info? 1652192090349

OP
OP
txGlad

txGlad

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
TX Semiconductors
Thanks, had hoped someone had already done this and documented it to save the time.

I'm adding some accessories that need power for a relay trigger. Adding a piggyback fuse is the easiest method. Some need power when ignition is on and some need power when lights are on.

jtforrester

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I was also looking for information of the on state of fuses and I found the thread linked below with the attached wiring diagram showing which fuses are switched on and off. They are fuses 50, 51, 52, and 53. Adding that information to this old post in case someone else is looking for it.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...-in-spare-fuse-location-f53.55685/post-912032

OP
OP
txGlad

txGlad

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
TX Semiconductors
Thanks! I’m sure I’ll need it in the future. Helpful to have it here.
Sponsored