Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Army
Vehicle Showcase
If I am planning on getting a new JTO in a year or two, do you think it would be better to plan on trading mine in or selling it outright? I ask because I am curious if you have had better luck selling newer models or getting better on trade ins. Obviously, this is more likely referring to JKs and JLs than JTs.
Sponsored

CivilJeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Diesel, 2022 4XE
Occupation
Engineer
If nothing else I would recommend checking Carvana before trading it in. They pay very well for late model Jeeps in the Spring/Summer, and their process could not be easier. I got more from Carvana on my JLU than I could have got from a private sale.

OP
OP
Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

Snzzbry_Ovrlnd

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Army
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably be looking to sell/trade in the Spring of 2022.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Second vote for Carvana a friend traded in his JL and received just 2,000 less than what he paid for it. After owning it for 18 months.

I just ran my JT thru the website and they would offer my $47,720 and I paid $49500

JTBurns

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
So if you have an overland rylight now, why are you looking to trade for another so quickly? I understand if you were moving to Mojave or Rubicon, or do you want a diesel? Just wondering the reason behind it?

Sponsored

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wranger JL 2 Door, Gladiator 80th
This may not apply to every state, but don't forget the sales tax's "savings" when you trade.

Just keep in mind that if you do the Carvana thing or sell it outright, you wont get any break on the sales tax's on your new JT for the value of your trade.

In Florida on something like a JT with a $38K value, that is about a $2500 difference.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
If you have the time and patients dealing with potential buyers, you and the buyer can split the trade in and retail of your vehicle (the middleman's investment to make a profit from). Then if you don't get the results you want then trade in at the purchase time or Carvana. Generally you will get more trade in value from a dealer when purchasing a vehicle then selling to purchasing companies like Carvana, but if you don't have a trade in at purchase time you will know exactly how much you are paying for your new vehicle.

Also, your current vehicle value depreciates each passing day/mile.

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
This may not apply to every state, but don't forget the sales tax's "savings" when you trade.

Just keep in mind that if you do the Carvana thing or sell it outright, you wont get any break on the sales tax's on your new JT for the value of your trade.

In Florida on something like a JT with a $38K value, that is about a $2500 difference.

Good advice, I didn't think about that since the tax break doesn't apply to my area.

Edit: that a huge difference.

AdrianVall

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JT Sport Max Tow
Carvana just insulted me with selling to them outright.. LOL! Guess it depends on where you live.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fiat 124 Spider, 2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Of eight prior Wranglers I owned:
  1. Sold it back to Carmax
  2. Sold it privately
  3. Traded it in
  4. Sold it privately
  5. Sold it privately
  6. Sold it privately
  7. Sold it privately
  8. Traded it in
I’d say it’s safe to assume you should be able to sell it privately if you wanted to.

Sponsored

TYJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
I just got a quote from Carvana for selling them my 2020 Overland (fully loaded with 22,500 mi)... they offered $34,245.

My local dealer will sell me a new Mojave for 5% below invoice and has offered $39,559 for my trade-in.

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Damn you guys go through vehicles. I have had 3 vehicles in the past 20 years and that is including the new JT I bought last year and I will be driving this thing till the wheels fall off of it.
Sponsored