A Hurricane in the future

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
3.6 with the 5 speed auto. Its all in the shape of the torque curve. The 3.6 all up high and gutless down low. Thats whats great about the ecodiesel.
Glad to hear that you’re enjoying the upgrade. I’ve got no interest in owning a light duty diesel again, so I didn’t even consider the eco diesel.

OP
OP
WhyNotJeep

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
A light duty diesel would be great if the EPA would get their hands off it and let the mfg make it clean and efficient without a ton of smog crap on it that makes it so problematic and just a real pain to maintain.

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Couldn’t give me one when they first release, maybe after a couple of years…

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most do, not all do. And the i6 crankshaft is a lot longer and more prone to torsional effects.

Why not? The 3.6 is far more economical than the 4.0 ever could be and yet is more powerful.
Efficiency can gain power without loss of MPG.
They upped the HP and torque on the 3.6 and at the same time took it from under 20 mpg in the Grand Cherokee to about 25 mpg (and that's with the same driver)
Yeah, but we’re talking a significant boost in HP, how do you expect the fuel economy to better than 3.6 with that much more HP?

Sponsored

Dakota Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Gladiator Willys 3.0 Eco Diesel
Occupation
Pro Snipe Hunter
So from the all of 2 minutes of research I did it seems like the S.O. version of the Hurricane will only get you about 20+ ish more pounds of torque vs the 3.0L eco boost, but with a significant drop in mpg (and as I run 91 octane in my eco boost Ford 3.5 and 2.0 as well as the wife’s Volvo XC 60 T6 that’s both turbo & super charged I consider my fuel cost to be equal between a gallon of premium gas and a gallon of diesel in my region of US).

Other than not having to deal with the DEF system in the ND winter, what am I gaining?

Now if you throw in the H.O. Version with the 510 pounds of torque, that is a significant just…but the MPG’s take an even bigger shot to the sack…. and I’m guessing you’re not going to really be picking up a bunch more towing capacity in the end either. The truck is only so big/heavy and able to control a certain amount of weight behind it, no matter how much it “can pull”.

Don’t misunderstand me, I’m ALL for the Hurricane being put into the Gladiator as I’ve had the Ford 3.5L eco boost in a Flex and F-150 and LOVED it in both. Just not sure what I’d gain vs my current 3.0 eco diesel.

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most do, not all do. And the i6 crankshaft is a lot longer and more prone to torsional effects.

Why not? The 3.6 is far more economical than the 4.0 ever could be and yet is more powerful.
Efficiency can gain power without loss of MPG.
They upped the HP and torque on the 3.6 and at the same time took it from under 20 mpg in the Grand Cherokee to about 25 mpg (and that's with the same driver)
No way a 500+ HP gas engine is gonna get better fuel economy or even as good as the current 285HP Pentastar

OP
OP
WhyNotJeep

WhyNotJeep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4,,, '14 Wrangler JKUR
Occupation
Done with it
It's simple physics. It takes energy to move mass and weight. A 5000 pound brick going 0 to 70mph is going to take some energy. There is no free lunch.

Horde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland. 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I lease and end up with a new vehicle every 18 months. So hopefully I’ll be in a Hurricane when it comes out right away. No mods to current engine. The lift probably won’t swap because its a different engine weight. We’ll see.

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Don’t misunderstand me, I’m ALL for the Hurricane being put into the Gladiator as I’ve had the Ford 3.5L eco boost in a Flex and F-150 and LOVED it in both. Just not sure what I’d gain vs my current 3.0 eco diesel.
What you will get is a power plant with (hopefully) comparable performance to the Ecodiesel available after they discontinue the Ecodiesel.

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Yeah, but we’re talking a significant boost in HP, how do you expect the fuel economy to better than 3.6 with that much more HP?
The 3.6 is a 50% increase over the 4.0.

50% increase over the 3.6 would be 410hp which is about what the base hurricane will have.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
No way a 500+ HP gas engine is gonna get better fuel economy or even as good as the current 285HP Pentastar
Why not? Engine design, physics, efficiency - friction losses, heat losses.......... science.
New bearing materials (these aren't your 1990 bearings) and narrower bearings mean less friction loss, less loss to oil shear. Right there you gain HP and MPG.
I could give other examples.........
We lose a lot of the energy of gasoline just overcoming forces like inertia, shear forces of oil, and through heat. Only part of the BTU extracted from gasoline is actually going to propel that mass down the road.
When that fuel is wasted it's not being converted to HP and being used to propel the truck. If you make the engine more efficient - actually USE the BTUs stored in gasoline and turn it into usable energy and not lose it through heat and friction - are you using more gas to get the same or more HP?
Like I said before - the same engine was tweaked in 2015 - the exact same displacement - 3.6 - and the mpg jumped by a good 5 yet there was a little more HP to the wheels in the Grand Cherokee version.

There are still things that can be done.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The 3.6 is a 50% increase over the 4.0.

50% increase over the 3.6 would be 410hp which is about what the base hurricane will have.
Burn the same fuel more efficiently, lose less of that power to friction, oil shear, and heat, you gain mpg and HP using the same amount of fuel.
It's like watering the lawn with a leaky hose - fix the leaks, make it more efficient and you can water longer with the same amount of water through the meter.
This is pure logic- if you aren't burning the fuel efficiently, if you are using some of those BTUs to overcome friction, if the charge isn't burned completely and it's going out the pipe to be handled by a converter........

To this day for every gallon of gas we burn, a fair amount is lost to the air in heat, or used to overcome friction, inertia and so on.

By some estimates, only 30% of a gallon of gas goes to actually moving the vehicle down the road, the rest is lost through various things - drivetrain frictional losses, parasitic losses like electric components, and here's a chart showing what I mean about the losses just from the engine itself - You burn gas, only some of the energy pushes the piston down, a lot goes out the tail pipe as HEAT energy. VVL came about because Chrysler recognized the 4% pumping losses.
But look at this -for every gallon you burn, half is lost to the air in the form of heat! Less than half of the energy pushes down on the piston.

Jeep Gladiator A Hurricane in the future 1650204698005

Last edited:

XJFanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2020 JT
Build Thread
Link
The fuel mileage thing will need to play out in real life. It all depends on how hard it needs to work.

FWIW 3.6L 285hp/260 lb-ft; 2.0T 270hp/295 lb-ft. The 2.0T is probably conservatively rated by Jeep as many dynos are showing over 300 lb-ft. That torque is what is needed for an off-road vehicle. And it comes with an extra 4-5 MPG in a JLU. More power can be had with better MPG, especially if you don’t need to floor it and rev high to access it.
Sponsored