First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Who has the best charting/offroad solution? Both look feature rich. GAIA works with Carplay but On X seems to have more map content

any experience/opinions/recommendations?
Sponsored

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I’m watching this. From my research, Gaia seems to be almost unanimous, with a handful of features from OnX and Garmin Overland being missed.

Mostly, Gaia is just missing a large volume of maps prepopulated on to the device, turn by turn, and (from the Garmin) a really solid list of available campsites.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I've complained to OnX about the CarPlay thing and AndroidAuto, they have some work to do. However, the dataset is AMAZING compared to what I saw on Gaia.

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I've complained to OnX about the CarPlay thing and AndroidAuto, they have some work to do. However, the dataset is AMAZING compared to what I saw on Gaia.
What are you seeing on OnX that isn't available for Gaia? Is it actually not available, or just a more obscure overlay? Genuinely asking, as I am just dipping my toe into more remote adventures.

The nice thing about Gaia, is there are so many different maps available, with so many overlays. Also kinda the worst thing, as its a bit of a nuisance to sort through stuff.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
I was specifically looking at a trail network up above Fresno in the Shaver Lake area. The demo version of Gaia had USFS maps, the OnX had a far more detailed view of the actual space. I don't know if that was a demo limitation or not.

OnX has a hunting app that crowdsources data, they use the same model for the offroad app.

What are you seeing on OnX that isn't available for Gaia? Is it actually not available, or just a more obscure overlay? Genuinely asking, as I am just dipping my toe into more remote adventures.

The nice thing about Gaia, is there are so many different maps available, with so many overlays. Also kinda the worst thing, as its a bit of a nuisance to sort through stuff.

Sponsored

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I was specifically looking at a trail network up above Fresno in the Shaver Lake area. The demo version of Gaia had USFS maps, the OnX had a far more detailed view of the actual space. I don't know if that was a demo limitation or not.

OnX has a hunting app that crowdsources data, they use the same model for the offroad app.
That makes sense. Gaia has a fee, but you can do like 5 years for $200, so it isn't too pricey. The premium version has extensive map layovers. Biggest boon to it is the community. So many people maintain specific routes. A few jerks that charge for them, but overall seem to be really open.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
I'm new to this as well and am planning a trip cross country on the Trans American Trail this spring. I read that you can upload GPX tracks to GAIA which is important for the TAT, otherwise I was looking at getting a separate tablet of the Garmin Overlander. But with GAIA working with Car Play, I don't know if it is necessary...but some tablets have built in GPS receivers that work without cell service, so I may decided to go that route, but still use the GAIA app but I know there are other options too. I actually haven't tried GAIA yet, so cannot comment beyond what I have read.

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I'm new to this as well and am planning a trip cross country on the Trans American Trail this spring. I read that you can upload GPX tracks to GAIA which is important for the TAT, otherwise I was looking at getting a separate tablet of the Garmin Overlander. But with GAIA working with Car Play, I don't know if it is necessary...but some tablets have built in GPS receivers that work without cell service, so I may decided to go that route, but still use the GAIA app but I know there are other options too. I actually haven't tried GAIA yet, so cannot comment beyond what I have read.
FYI they actually make BT GPS receivers that you can pair with ipads. Most of the BT gps actually do better than the built in units.

OP
OP
Silvertruck

Silvertruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Anyone have any experience throwing GAIA onto the uconnect screen via carplay? That would be cool to check out, maybe easier in vehicle than dealing with a tablet is my thought

dstephns

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 1966 Sunbeam Tiger
Works pretty well on my 8.4 display. I haven't used it a lot but when I did it worked pretty well. I even tried sat and it was good. Still learning some of the tricks with it though. Downloaded a route/map and that worked ok too. Pretty cool.
Dave

Sponsored

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
Anyone have any experience throwing GAIA onto the uconnect screen via carplay? That would be cool to check out, maybe easier in vehicle than dealing with a tablet is my thought
I was thinking I would prefer to have the offroad screens or front camera displayed, with the tablet as an auxiliary screen with the nav.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
And that's why I'm looking at CMM and some of the other tablet holder thingie companies.

I was thinking I would prefer to have the offroad screens or front camera displayed, with the tablet as an auxiliary screen with the nav.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
I got the CMM RAM mount for the passenger grab handle and the lower driver's side grab handle mount. I like them, but feel they are way over priced.