Gas type?

Jmospider

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Couldn’t find a thread that talked about what types of gas people are using. 87, 89 or 93?
Sponsored

Mkcagle

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JT Gladiator Sport S w/max tow
Regular 87. Really like no longer having to run 93 plus (Hemi 5.7 JGC).

deadbug

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electrician
Regular 87. Really like no longer having to run 93 plus (Hemi 5.7 JGC).
No sir, 3.6 is no hemi
There was a video out there of a dyno test of the gladiator and premium fuel was proven to be a waste, no gains what so ever

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
We've got 87, 89, 93 around here.

I swear they're putting ethanol in our gasoline now, because my MPGs are lower for no other reason, and when I start the truck on a cold morning I can smell it. :(

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jmospider

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
No sir, 3.6 is no hemi
There was a video out there of a dyno test of the gladiator and premium fuel was proven to be a waste, no gains what so ever
Thanks for quick responses - nice to know I don’t need to waste money on 89 or 93.

deadbug

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Electrician
We've got 87, 89, 93 around here.

I swear they're putting ethanol in our gasoline now, because my MPGs are lower for no other reason, and when I start the truck on a cold morning I can smell it. :(
I would speculate that they switched to the winter blend

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yes, I'm certain of that. They do that in October around here. But, I think they've added more ethanol also. I never could smell it before. It's pretty obvious now...smeels sweet just like E85.

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
They ALWAYS have ethanol in our gasoline unless they have a separate pump that say ethanol free.

Ethanol is the devil. It fucks everything up. My mechanics NEVER use it in ANYTHING.
I don't even use it in my lawn mower.

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
They ALWAYS have ethanol in our gasoline unless they have a separate pump that say ethanol free.

Ethanol is the devil. It fucks everything up. My mechanics NEVER use it in ANYTHING.
I thought I'd heard modern engines can handle it, but older engines suffer?

Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
it's not just the engine, it's the gas lines, injectors, seals, fuel pump, etc....
Yeah, but I'd heard the same; newer vehicles are designed to run gas + ethanol blends. I'll have to do some Googling when I have some time...

Edit: I haven't found the article I was thinking of yet, but the JT owner's manual says it is okay to use up to E-15 gas. Yes, you will see lower mpgs but it shouldn't hurt the engine components. Ethanol is bad for older vehicles as their systems are not designed for it, so I think it is a matter of carry-over concern.

Much like people saying "Jeeps are not reliable because my 2007 3.8L JK was a turd" or "the new 3.0 Gen III Ecodiesel is going to be unreliable because my Gen I was in the shop all the time".

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

That's odd because I've used it in EVERYTHING since the 1980s - everything (except my chain saw which didn't seem to like it)
This includes tractors, trucks, cars, lawn mowers, snow throwers, even my classics.
And guess what - I've worked on hundreds and hundreds of cars that used it and since the carburetor kit makers started improving their materials, like Tomco did in the early 1980s, I've never seen a trouble unless it was due to OLD materials - like original fuel lines from the last decade not made for it.
I run it in my Javelins, my Eagle, my wife has always run it in her Jeeps - every single one of them, always.
I was a mechanic myself for years and still have my own shop. I do everything - carburetors, engine rebuilds, even restorations. Never a problem. Now if it's so evil - why don't I ever have any troubles with it?
I've had my JD lawn tractor with Kawasaki engine for over 5 years....... my WJ has over 125,000 miles - ethanol, no issues.
Use whatever you want - it's yours, but me, I'll keep on using what I've used in my AMX, Gremlin, multiple Eagles and countless Jeeps over the decades.
To this day, I have not seen damage that could be shown to be ethanol - but a lot of stuff gets blamed on it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, but I'd heard the same; newer vehicles are designed to run gas + ethanol blends. I'll have to do some Googling when I have some time...

Edit: I haven't found the article I was thinking of yet, but the JT owner's manual says it is okay to use up to E-15 gas. Yes, you will see lower mpgs but it shouldn't hurt the engine components. Ethanol is bad for older vehicles as their systems are not designed for it, so I think it is a matter of carry-over concern.

Much like people saying "Jeeps are not reliable because my 2007 3.8L JK was a turd" or "the new 3.0 Gen III Ecodiesel is going to be unreliable because my Gen I was in the shop all the time".
You got it - and even on the web you find BS about it because anyone can write anything they want with no proof and it's it's said often enough, it is accepted fact because "I read it on the internet".
As a professional college and factory trained tech - be careful what you read and accept. It CAN NOT hurt engine components. In fact a few folks I know have actually taken their AMC engines, 6's and 8s, and converted to run on ethanol (takes higher compression among other things)
Only older rubber parts are an issue.
Also - because ethanol - alcohol in general, absorbs water, if you have condensation, or other water in the gas and leave it sit - you can see issues - but it is NOT the ethanol - it's the WATER. I actually put a stronger blend in my lawn tractor tank one winter because I could see beads of water at the bottom of the tank and it wouldn't keep running. The ethanol absorbed the water and I got the lawn tractor running and it was fine after that. Check what gas line antifreeze may contain........

Sal

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
You got it - and even on the web you find BS about it because anyone can write anything they want with no proof and it's it's said often enough, it is accepted fact because "I read it on the internet".
As a professional college and factory trained tech - be careful what you read and accept. It CAN NOT hurt engine components. In fact a few folks I know have actually taken their AMC engines, 6's and 8s, and converted to run on ethanol (takes higher compression among other things)
Only older rubber parts are an issue.
Also - because ethanol - alcohol in general, absorbs water, if you have condensation, or other water in the gas and leave it sit - you can see issues - but it is NOT the ethanol - it's the WATER. I actually put a stronger blend in my lawn tractor tank one winter because I could see beads of water at the bottom of the tank and it wouldn't keep running. The ethanol absorbed the water and I got the lawn tractor running and it was fine after that. Check what gas line antifreeze may contain........
Anything >E15 is dangerous to all aluminum engine components. Alcohol extremely corrosive to aluminum especially under heat. You can run ethanol but it’s long term effects will damage your engine.
Sponsored