Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Well, if your smelling it . . . take a closer whiff . . . make sure it's not some of that Fine Kentucky Bourbon they've not used as an Additive instead of that crap ethanol ! :swear: ;)
Funny thing is that with the cats and emissions controls you can't smell the fuel type out the tail pipe. If you are smelling something, there's a problem. Filling yes, running, no. There's not an ethanol smell out the tail pipe - otherwise you'd have problems passing emissions. I ran E85 in my Chevy now and then, never really could tell the difference in the exhaust - a tad more power pulling (even the specs said more HP on ethanol because they ran faster timing and such) but otherwise, you'd never know what you had in it.
Maybe the flux capacitor was going bad.
Sponsored

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I prefer to run Shell gasoline... for some reason I feel like it has always performed better... and is a better product. I have tried to run it always and anytime I can. I was curious too if a higher octane would be better. I’m going to do a test... all Shell grades 87,89,93. I am in the Middle TN area for grade reference and elevation around 1500. Some small hills in my route... basically normal driving conditions... 37” tires.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I prefer to run Shell gasoline... for some reason I feel like it has always performed better... and is a better product. I have tried to run it always and anytime I can. I was curious too if a higher octane would be better. I’m going to do a test... all Shell grades 87,89,93. I am in the Middle TN area for grade reference and elevation around 1500. Some small hills in my route... basically normal driving conditions... 37” tires.
While Shell would like us to believe their gasoline is superior, the local Shell station gets their gasoline from the same place as every other gas station. They just have a unique additives package. So, it's possible the Shell gasoline will have different amounts of detergents, for example, but government regulations specify a minimum detergent level to which all stations must comply.

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I knew someone would say that but I do think Shell gas is better. It may come from the same refinery but I still think it’s better... some people think Fords are better than Chevrolet. Whatever makes you feel good.

I think their additives do make a difference. Maybe they don’t. Change my mind. lol

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I knew someone would say that but I do think Shell gas is better. It may come from the same refinery but I still think it’s better... some people think Fords are better than Chevrolet. Whatever makes you feel good.

I think their additives do make a difference. Maybe they don’t. Change my mind. lol
Not the same refinery but the same local tank. It's possible the Shell additives work well at keeping your fuel injectors clean which certainly can affect performance.

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
If people are interested in reading about different gasoline’s (and diesels).
This is an interesting site...

https://www.toptiergas.com/

and while it’s true that bulk fuel comes from the same tank or pipeline it is the additive package that’s added to the truck that makes the difference.

12BNNT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
As far as gas with 10-15% ethanol, like others have said, most modern vehicles are designed with that in mind. The biggest problem I’ve seen from a mechanics standpoint in ethanol/gas mixes is the problems with fuel lines and soft materials in the fuel system. Most cars use a fuel line of different material compared to what was used back many years ago so it’s not an issue. Small engines (weed eaters, chainsaws, etc) have pretty soft fuel lines and what not. If you leave the fuel sit in the lines and tank for months subjected to the temperature changes of day and night in the winter time, that’s when you develop problem. I’ve used the same ethanol blend (10%) in my small engines that is use in the cars but come winter time I drain them and run them dry, put fresh gas in it in the spring and fires right up. Used to have to replace fuel lines on that stuff every two or three years. Since I started draining them if the fall... haven’t had to fix a one in the past six years. Chainsaw runs just as good as it did when I bought it six years ago.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It is absolutely the additives that can make a difference. Will it? Depends - but that's where the real differences are. Is Shell gasoline better? Better than what? Walmart gas, perhaps?
Dunno about that but a seat of the pants experience with at least 2 cars showed that they behaved better with Walmart 93 than with most other fuels I tried. Odd - weird - crazy, and unscientific, but I had fewer issues with those high-performance picky as a finicky cat engines on that gas.
So - use what you like and have good luck with, I guess.
As far as octane- there is no more energy or power in 93 than there is 89, 91, etc. All else being EQUAL, meaning otherwise the same gasoline with the same other additives, if you are comparing Shell 89 to Shell 93, there is no more power or BTUs or energy in the higher octane gas.
What there is - longer chains that resist SELF-IGNITION. They don't burn slower or faster. That's a BS myth spread by the hundreds of sites out there that claim expertise in gas - published by - non-experts who have never worked in the lab. 93 burns at the same rate and has the same energy as 90 for example. But the longer chains resist SELF-IGNITION (not pre-ignition - that's different and a different cause entirely)
"But but but my buddy can get more POWER out of his engine with premium! Yeah, I saw it! "
There's an explanation for that - since higher octane resists self-ignition, ignition timing can be advanced and you can run higher compression. It resists detonation - self-ignition under high pressure conditions and high heat conditions. So an engine that has a knock sensor will see - hey, no knock, we can kick that timing up a bit more - still no knock - kick it a bit more (within predetermined limits of course)
Low octane fuel tends to detonate or self-ignition under high pressure and high temp conditions so timing can't be advanced, the computer can't "tune on the fly" the same as with higher octane.
It really matters on engines where the tuner or owner sets the parameters like initial timing, advance curves and total timing, A/F ratio and so on.

Russler

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 50 Willys, 76 CJ
Build Thread
Link
@ShadowsPapa Probably need to be careful or the folks on this forum will think you own a couple thousand acres of prime Iowa corn field :)
Sorry, couldn't help it.....your friend from up Nort.

BruteForce

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
utahbruteforce.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2009 Ram 3500 CTD, 2001 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
SVP/CISO
I try to stick to 88Octane Ethanol free..

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
deja vu all over again LOL

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
Is there any harm in switching back and forth with Non-Ethanol and Ethanol Fuel. There are a few places Buccee's here in Texas area that sell Non-Ethanol but most everyone else is running the blends. Sometimes its not possible to get the Non-Ethanol so would end up having to mix. I have never tried it cause I didn't know if it would mess anything up

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Is there any harm in switching back and forth with Non-Ethanol and Ethanol Fuel. There are a few places Buccee's here in Texas area that sell Non-Ethanol but most everyone else is running the blends. Sometimes its not possible to get the Non-Ethanol so would end up having to mix. I have never tried it cause I didn't know if it would mess anything up
None at all. I've switched in places where I had trouble getting ethanol. It won't mess anything as it's blended - all it ends up doing is giving you a blend with under the 10% ethanol.
The systems in modern vehicles don't look at chemistry, only air fuel ratios, oxygen content of exhaust, that sort of thing.

BruteForce

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
utahbruteforce.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2009 Ram 3500 CTD, 2001 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
SVP/CISO

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well, in my 6.7L Cummins (Ram 3500 Dually), I also try to run Ethanol free Diesel! :rock::LOL:
Golly gee, I hope so! I'd hate to see the pump melt down an seize up.
Or worse -

Sponsored