Gator paint color match

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Through the corrosion warranty I just had the doors and tailgate replaced on my Gator colored JT and I'm not happy with the paint match. Has anybody had any experience good or bad with a body shop matching the Gator paint color? I'm wondering if it's a problem specific to my Jeep dealer's body shop or a more universal problem.
Sponsored

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Mojave Sarge
Occupation
Gunsmith
Gobi and Gator had a short run on both the JL and JT side. I was looking for a Gator and read somewhere (JL Forum maybe) that both of those colors had a tendency to fade in a short period. I don't know if that is true..but...

Based on what you have experienced it may be due to the fact the rest of your original Gator paint has faded and the newly painted doors/tailgate is as original color as it was new. Just spitballin'

Dryfly24

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
Gobi and Gator had a short run on both the JL and JT side. I was looking for a Gator and read somewhere (JL Forum maybe) that both of those colors had a tendency to fade in a short period. I don't know if that is true..but...

Based on what you have experienced it may be due to the fact the rest of your original Gator paint has faded and the newly painted doors/tailgate is as original color as it was new. Just spitballin'
Sounds about right to me. . .

KidBobot

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gladiator Mojave, 17 Sienna, 92 VW Cabriolet
A good body shop will not just work off the paint code by itself. They really should have taken a look at the vehicle and assessed the age and area - and used a paint meter and color-matching tool to assess any adjustments they need to make to the mix.

Even coming from the factory there may be nuances from one batch of painted vehicles to the next that might have the faintest of variations - which is why they generally paint all paneling and parts for once care at the same time.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Something else to consider is the differences in the material being covered, it won’t look too different if you’re living with it day to day, but after a collision it does get scrutinized. For example, paint may appear a slightly lighter shade on plastic vs the steel bed side vs the aluminum tailgate. Look at another vehicle with plastic painted bumpers and notice the differences right at the seem.

If they really did a bad job though, give them hell.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
jebiruph

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not an issue with faded paint, it's a failure to match the paint. I'm pretty sure they would paint the hood, cowl and windshield to match, but I don't want a one off shade of Gator due to possible future paint matching issues.

Jeep Gladiator Gator paint color match gator paint 1
Jeep Gladiator Gator paint color match gator paint 2

BrooksC

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S 2 door, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow
I bought the new style grill from Distinction Applied and they nailed the match on Gator. I was worried about it for sure. Dont know if they do general body work.

OP
OP
jebiruph

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought the new style grill from Distinction Applied and they nailed the match on Gator. I was worried about it for sure. Dont know if they do general body work.
I think I'll order something from them to see how well it matches.

BrooksC

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S 2 door, 2020 Gladiator Max Tow
I think I'll order something from them to see how well it matches.
My Jeep has always been garaged and only has 16,000 miles so the paint probably hasn't faded too much. I had an awesome experience with Distinction. Hopefully they treat you well too.

OP
OP
jebiruph

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered and installed a painted cowl from Distinction Applied and it's a much better color match than the dealer paint. The dealer has agreed to fix the paint mismatch, it goes back in in 2 weeks.

Jeep Gladiator Gator paint color match gator paint 3
Sponsored