Occupation
Bean Counter

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
On stock stuff, go by the manual.

On aftermarket stuff, go by the manufacturers guidelines. At that point the gear manufacturer is covering your gears, NOT MOPAR.

@Brfertig did a video about him using the wrong gear oil after a regear and he found out what he used was NOT compatible with the gear pack he installed.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I like the Valvoline fluid from Walmart in the easy packages. MUCH easier to fool with than traditional bottles.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I'm pretty sure 75W-140 is what we are supposed to be using. I don't remember where I found that number though....

Anyway, I've been running my truck on: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049J5FJY

Hasn't blown up yet. I change my gear oil out more often than expected though, due to an over abundance of caution and driving through deep mud on trails.
75W-140 grade is what DANA recommends on the Axles they sell direct to consumers or after rebuild.

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I contacted jeep with the gear oil weight recommendation and they told me the following:

Thank you for contacting Jeep.

Our records indicate this vehicle was equipped from the factory with the following:
AJQ Max Tow Package W/4.10 Axle Ratio
DJF Dana M210 Wide Front Axle
DRF Dana M220 Wide Rear Axle
DSA Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle

Front Differential/Axle Lubricant - We recommend you use Mopar Gear & Axle Lubricant SAE 75W85 (API GL-5) - P/N 68378949AA.

Rear Differential/Axle Lubricant With or Without the Trailer Tow Package/Max Tow Package - We recommend you use Mopar Gear & Axle Lubricant SAE 75W85 (API GL-5) - P/N 68378949AA. Models equipped with Trac-Lok Limited Slip Differential (Anti-Spin Differential) require the addition of 70 ml (2.37 oz.) Mopar Limited Slip Additive - P/N 04318060AD.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon

Attachments

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
@Hootbro any chance you have those pdfs for the 2021 Gladiator Diesel?
Sorry, no. I only downloaded from Chrysler Tech Authority the stuff I needed for my gas 3.6L.

I would imagine with a high degree of certainty that the axle and transfer case capacities are the same. Engine, cooling and transmission would be different.

Deleted member 22728

I’m about to my 500 mile service after rehearing to the 488’s
I’d like opinions on gear oils. The rear has the factory trac lock
I’m thinking about going with a conventional oil over a synthetic. I’ve just never trusted synthetics in my axels.

What’s everyone’s opinions on that
As mentioned above, if it meets the MS then go with whatever you fancy. For my own purposes, 75w/140 goes in everything, as several applications call for it, and I only have one gear oil dispenser.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, no. I only downloaded from Chrysler Tech Authority the stuff I needed for my gas 3.6L.

I would imagine with a high degree of certainty that the axle and transfer case capacities are the same. Engine, cooling and transmission would be different.
No reason the axle capacity would be any different at all - it's the same casting as far as the housing from all indications I've seen and that's what holds the lube.

jc99

First Name
jc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD

Ya should be the same, I was just trying to clarify if towing with the Diesel if the rear diff should use 75w85 or 75w140
No reason the axle capacity would be any different at all - it's the same casting as far as the housing from all indications I've seen and that's what holds the lube.
Ya just trying to get some clarity on the rear diff fluid... it seems some people have manuals indicating for towing to use 75w140 and others that is missing and it just says us 75w85 without mention of 75w140 for towing.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Ya just trying to get some clarity on the rear diff fluid... it seems some people have manuals indicating for towing to use 75w140 and others that is missing and it just says us 75w85 without mention of 75w140 for towing.
Gladiator is the same way. Owners manual mentions only 75W-85 but the Tech Authority instructions allow 75W-140 for the trailer tow package.

Given the Tech Authority and DANA recommend 75W-140, that is what I would run if I was towing a lot. You have these two references to push back on if there was any question of warranty denial for not using the OM call out of 75W-85.

jc99

First Name
jc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
Gladiator is the same way. Owners manual mentions only 75W-85 but the Tech Authority instructions allow 75W-140 for the trailer tow package.

Given the Tech Authority and DANA recommend 75W-140, that is what I would run if I was towing a lot. You have these two references to push back on if there was any question of warranty denial for not using the OM call out of 75W-85.
Thanks, that's the way I was leaning so will just go with the 75w140,
Cheers
Sponsored