Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Funny have had diesels my whole life swear by Cummins, never had a gel issue once it was plugged in and cycled the plugs, been through many of cold snaps in the winter just fine, never has it gelled after truck has been running and warm, usually do t plug in unless it’s going negative
Drive I35 or I80 here and see all of the highway helpers helping people with diesel pickups and even the big guys. I've seen a friend with VW have winter issues.
Plugging in the engine doesn't do anything for the tank, lines and other stuff back a ways.
You get the winds like we have (20, 30, 40 mph) blowing -20 degree air and next thing you know that previously warm fuel line is back to below 0 again.
It's always windy here. (NOT talking wind chill which has no impact on non-animal things) but couple highway speeds with the wind and you have very cold air blowing across things cooling them back down.
Our antennas end up with huge layers of ice on them as the cold air freezes the rain as we drive.
Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Funny have had diesels my whole life swear by Cummins, never had a gel issue once it was plugged in and cycled the plugs, been through many of cold snaps in the winter just fine, never has it gelled after truck has been running and warm, usually do t plug in unless it’s going negative
Had the fuel in my Cummins powered motorhome gel on me. That was a fun experience. Block heaters and glow plugs have nothing to do with the fuel gelling.

OP
OP
jensjer

jensjer

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTM, Wrangler LJ
Occupation
PhotoAd
Last diesel I had you could add a gallon of regular gas to a tank full of fuel to help keep it flowing in winter.
[/QUOT
Had the fuel in my Cummins powered motorhome gel on me. That was a fun experience. Block heaters and glow plugs have nothing to do with the fuel gelling.
It's an expensive fix...

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
It's an expensive fix...
Can be. Depends on how bad it's gelled.
Drain the fuel system, clean injectors, fuel pump etc.
Leave it sit in a warm garage over night to warm the fuel system up.

I got lucky. I dumped a couple of bottles of Diesel 911 into the 125 gal fuel tank. I keep a bottle in my garage. Cold weather like this. I use Diesel Fuel Supplement.

Jeep Gladiator Gell'n 1671940050362

Jeep Gladiator Gell'n 1671940401533

lppd45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon M/T, 1966 Deville convertible, 2013 Jetta TDI M/T, 2003 Road King, and 2016 CVO Street Glide
Occupation
Retired
Kind of ironic that this is one the first things I saw tonight. Wife left for work around 2230 and the VW jelled along the way. I was able to switch her as she wasn't too far from home. It's only the second time in over 3 decades that I've had an issue with this. And as others have said it's not an issue with engine temp or a block heater. The fuel gels in the lines from the tank. Surprised me tonight as we had been out earlier and the car had an almost full tank of diesel.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
And here I thought this was going to be a thread on solutions for tired, sore feet.........

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Last diesel I had you could add a gallon of regular gas to a tank full of fuel to help keep it flowing in winter.
One I drove many moons ago I'd put 5 gallon of gasoline in tank with the diesel fuel.... oh, it was a multi-fuel engine.... M35a2 2.5 ton truck :giggle: it would pick up a few more mph too.

azmojave

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Mojave
Occupation
Retired Trucker. Current Sawyer
I always used this stuff when I traveled in the cold, and never gelled. You’ll find it at any truck stop.
Jeep Gladiator Gell'n C84EE3C4-308C-4D5B-8BFA-047AEE5A94EF

Jakeyou

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator
Most of had some summer diesel left in the tank. There are two grades of diesel, known as winter grade diesel and summer grade diesel and it's worth knowing the difference between the two. Winter grade diesel is formulated to contain an additive that prevents wax crystals forming at low temperatures, which means it will resist gelling in extremely cold temperatures.

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Block heaters don't prevent fuel gelling.
You can have it all warmed up and drive along the interstate and have that problem.
They shut down all the public buses here past 8pm because buses were breaking down due to the cold. I think all the buses are either electric or deisel here now

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
I had this happen at my house in the copper line between my outside Oil tank and the house.
Fortunately it happened mid afternoon and the stores were still open. I ran to Home Depot, got some heat Trace, removed the insulation on the copper line. installed the heat trace, reinstalled the insulation and after waiting about 30 minutes was able to bleed the air and water [From condensation] out of the line and get heat back into my house.
First time this has happened since I bought the house in 2005. It's just that F-Ing cold this week

Koolcarguy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro blue Jt 2012 Gecko green Jk 2021 Gecko
Occupation
Car dealer
Who's Gell'n Bro's Duramax just did -7º
Easy problem to fix put some additive in your fuel. My 21 Jt diesel did fine and we had temps in the -40 to -55 in Cheyenne no gell and started after being at the shop outside 9 hours no plugged in.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
It got down to 51 degrees last night. Thought about plugging in
Sounds like you might need some anti-gel......

.....in your hair................
Sponsored