Sponsored

Getting add-ons to a sport vs going for a Mojave (post pics of your Mojave too?)

SYLrules88

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Kia Sorento
Occupation
electronics manufacturing
Hello all! First post here, I've recently decided that I need to ditch my Kia Sorento in favor of a truck to help haul lumber and occasionally a small camper. Naturally, the Gladiator has caught my eye.

I test drove a Sport trim level at my local dealership today and I really liked it. My goal today was to try and get a ballpark estimate on a Mojave just to see where I could start from with this place (this master certified salesperson had never heard of the Mojave edition, maybe to be expected since we're in the non-desert part of Texas). He quickly went over a price mock-up for a Mojave, coming out to $51K for almost everything I'd want, which is right at MSRP and above what I'd be willing to pay. He was insisting that I buy the Sport that I test drove and that I could add in all of my options that I wanted in their shop.

I understand that they prefer to get rid of vehicles that have been sitting on their lot. Could I use this to my advantage, like would I still be able to add in everything I want and make it close to the Rubicon or Mojave and still come out less than a Mojave ordered from the manufacturer?

I need something that can tow but I don't have to have the max tow package with the Sport S trim. I'd need the freedom top and headliner, roll up cover, bedliner, all weather mats, LED lights, cargo mgmt., cold weather, aux group (for who knows what later), 8.4" premium audio group, and auto transmission. I'd also want to upgrade to 4.1 axles and 33s.

I'm not so sure I'd NEED the Mojave, but it sure looks like a fun ride. Also watched a video of a guy towing a trailer with it and he commented on those shocks providing quite a smooth ride around town. I don't even know if Mojaves have been available for purchase as I understand the plant has been shut down, but if anyone has one, let's see it!
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all! First post here, I've recently decided that I need to ditch my Kia Sorento in favor of a truck to help haul lumber and occasionally a small camper. Naturally, the Gladiator has caught my eye.

I test drove a Sport trim level at my local dealership today and I really liked it. My goal today was to try and get a ballpark estimate on a Mojave just to see where I could start from with this place (this master certified salesperson had never heard of the Mojave edition, maybe to be expected since we're in the non-desert part of Texas). He quickly went over a price mock-up for a Mojave, coming out to $51K for almost everything I'd want, which is right at MSRP and above what I'd be willing to pay. He was insisting that I buy the Sport that I test drove and that I could add in all of my options that I wanted in their shop.

I understand that they prefer to get rid of vehicles that have been sitting on their lot. Could I use this to my advantage, like would I still be able to add in everything I want and make it close to the Rubicon or Mojave and still come out less than a Mojave ordered from the manufacturer?

I need something that can tow but I don't have to have the max tow package with the Sport S trim. I'd need the freedom top and headliner, roll up cover, bedliner, all weather mats, LED lights, cargo mgmt., cold weather, aux group (for who knows what later), 8.4" premium audio group, and auto transmission. I'd also want to upgrade to 4.1 axles and 33s.

I'm not so sure I'd NEED the Mojave, but it sure looks like a fun ride. Also watched a video of a guy towing a trailer with it and he commented on those shocks providing quite a smooth ride around town. I don't even know if Mojaves have been available for purchase as I understand the plant has been shut down, but if anyone has one, let's see it!
Use the builder tool on the Jeep site and it will give you the MSRP and available options for the model you want. Determine what your must-haves are and go from there. Some of the options have to be factory installed, and can't be installed by the dealer. There is a thread that discusses this. https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/most-difficult-options-to-add-later.30017/

Adawg1203

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator LE

The Mojave is nice and one thing I'd say due to the 'newness' of that model there probably won't be any real incentives like you will find on a sport/sport S. I don't know if the Mojave has shipped to owners just yet.

I'm new to Jeeps in general, but as a rule of thumb, for me, if there are things I plan on upgrading later but those things are offered in a package via a trim aka Rubicon, Mojave then I would just go ahead and purchase that trim and call it a day.

That said, the Jeep purist who knows how to upgrade a sport to the level of a Rubi or Mojave would absolutely disagree with me since they have the knowledge and I imagine idea of cost to do so, and the means (garage/mechanic, DIY etc) who could do all of the work they would want done. I also assume in the aftermarket the parts may be of higher quality than what the manufacturer uses..

Maybe figure out cost of upgrading a Sport with the aftermarket items you'd want and match that to a Mojave and Rubicon. I don't have enough knowledge around parts and costs hence I have a completely stock Gladiator Rubicon lol.

OP
OP
SYLrules88

SYLrules88

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Kia Sorento
Occupation
electronics manufacturing
Use the builder tool on the Jeep site and it will give you the MSRP and available options for the model you want. Determine what your must-haves are and go from there. Some of the options have to be factory installed, and can't be installed by the dealer. There is a thread that discusses this. https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/most-difficult-options-to-add-later.30017/
Great thread, thanks for that link! That was quite helpful.

The Mojave is nice and one thing I'd say due to the 'newness' of that model there probably won't be any real incentives like you will find on a sport/sport S. I don't know if the Mojave has shipped to owners just yet.

I'm new to Jeeps in general, but as a rule of thumb, for me, if there are things I plan on upgrading later but those things are offered in a package via a trim aka Rubicon, Mojave then I would just go ahead and purchase that trim and call it a day.

That said, the Jeep purist who knows how to upgrade a sport to the level of a Rubi or Mojave would absolutely disagree with me since they have the knowledge and I imagine idea of cost to do so, and the means (garage/mechanic, DIY etc) who could do all of the work they would want done. I also assume in the aftermarket the parts may be of higher quality than what the manufacturer uses..

Maybe figure out cost of upgrading a Sport with the aftermarket items you'd want and match that to a Mojave and Rubicon. I don't have enough knowledge around parts and costs hence I have a completely stock Gladiator Rubicon lol.
I think I read on here last week about someone pricing a Sport S with upgrades to basically make it a Rubicon, and it was roughly $2k less than a Rubicon. That was also before a few options that would have to be aftermarket as well. For my purposes, I'd probably just get the Rubicon (I've talked myself out of the Mojave, probably a wise decision).

How are you liking 33s on the Rubicon? I've read lots of posts where people are enjoying those over 35s, especially for towing, which is an important factor.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Great thread, thanks for that link! That was quite helpful.

I think I read on here last week about someone pricing a Sport S with upgrades to basically make it a Rubicon, and it was roughly $2k less than a Rubicon. That was also before a few options that would have to be aftermarket as well. For my purposes, I'd probably just get the Rubicon (I've talked myself out of the Mojave, probably a wise decision).

How are you liking 33s on the Rubicon? I've read lots of posts where people are enjoying those over 35s, especially for towing, which is an important factor.
Rubicon is hard to beat when you look at everything that comes with the package. It is hard to ad lockers aftermarket. No clue about a sway bar disconnect. Plus the rubicon comes with usable wheels and tires (though people with 35s and up probably disagree.) You also get the fox shocks, 4.10 gears, etc. when I was pricing things out it was within 2k to get the rubicon and that was without me valuing most of the features I have come to like.

Sponsored

AZrolltide

First Name
Deante
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave (soon)
I am new to the community but I am waiting to put an order in for the end of the month. I was thinking about the same thing but the thicker frame and cast iron steering knuckles sold me on the Mojave. I figured the thicker frame will provide more use to me than a disconnecting sway bar and front lockers. I am also in Arizona where there are plenty of places for me to go desert running. I have looked up the cast iron steering knuckles cost but I'm still not going to have the thicker frame if I went Sport s and mod it.

Last edited:

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I would have went with the Mojave if it would have been out, 2 of 3 reasons you said frame and not aluminum hub. Reason # 3 I've not needed 4 to 1 T-case in the past and have seen it before being to low for many situations east side of Mississippi River. I got the Max-Tow option w 4:10 gearing, I wish it was the later Max-Tow option with Trac-Loc rear axle. :(

Gymguy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hydro Blue Unlimited Rubicon
What is the exact difference in the frame of the mojave and the rubicon?

AZrolltide

First Name
Deante
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Mojave (soon)
What is the exact difference in the frame of the mojave and the rubicon?
"For starters, the Mojave front upper control arms feature an increase in strength for greater buckle resistance. The front lower control arm mounting areas on Mojave frame are also strengthened, but the lower front and rear control arms themselves are the same between Mojave and Rubicon. The rear bumpstop cup on the frame is reinforced on Mojave, as are the transmission and engine mounts. Mojave and Rubicon use the same motor mount isolators and transmission mounts, but the metal on the crossmembers and frame to which they mount has been strengthened on Mojave. And the Mojave rear track bar has a larger outer diameter, larger bushings, and a higher strength tube than Rubicon. And finally, the shock towers themselves were reinforced and strengthened in Mojave."

~Truck Trend
http://www.trucktrend.com/news/jeep-jt-gladiator-mojave-vs-gladiator-rubicon-whats-the-difference

In general, Jeep wanted to make sure us, as consumers, have a $50-60k vehicle we are confident that when we are 6-8 feet in the air as we come off sand dunes with it that it will not bend or break after performing that maneuver 50 times. Now at maneuver 51...

basicGlad

First Name
GBP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
miata, vw bugg, subaru
Build Thread
Link
It's definitely a 4th grade tactic to say you want a different colour (trim level) than the one they're offering to get a lower price, the sales person will know what you're doing... But it works. I wanted *wink a Gator *wink but it wasn't out at the time I purchased.

I got a manual sport s Gladiator, the price I negotiated in Oct2019 was $37k.
today if you go configure the same thing I got.... I wish $250 painted fenders were an option back then...
Jeep Gladiator Getting add-ons to a sport vs going for a Mojave (post pics of your Mojave too?) 20200708_004246

Jeep Gladiator Getting add-ons to a sport vs going for a Mojave (post pics of your Mojave too?) 20200708_004229

There was a manual Tacoma trd sport for $32 but it didn't have as much ground clearance. The JT had enough for me factory I didn't need to lift it, the taco needed a lift. In the taco It was so cramped even in the front I would feel bad about making kids ride in the back.
Although I liked the notchy shifter more and weight of the clutch pedal (heavier engagement feeling) there was no lockout ring and I kept putting it in reverse when I wanted 1st and the JT had 1650lbs of payload (taco only had 1000something payload). Plus taking the doors off a taco truck takes longer... And they never go back on the same

I would have liked better steering knuckles, but I can add that. The other improvements seem like they're for jumping and to prevent this
Jeep Gladiator Getting add-ons to a sport vs going for a Mojave (post pics of your Mojave too?) images

In the future I would like to add the FOX hydraulic bump stops and shocks the Mojave has.

However I really hate the hood on the Mojave, I think it looks mad stupid.

I never touch my phone driving and I like the 3" (base, most basic) info-tainment system most out of the 3 levels because the music system is all contained and all the climate buttons are separate. (It would be nice to have the better gage cluster, dunno if I can upgrade that).

I do like the idea of the Mojave's different transfer case to let you do 4hi at faster speeds, but where I live it doesn't matter if you can do 4hi at 65pmh... you cannot stop at 65pmh (snow & ice)

I think my sport has commandtrac
A Rubicon has rocktrac
And the Mojave has selectTrac

The mojave is lifted 1"

Ultimately... What's cost of the FOX front hydraulic bump stops and mojave shocks + $37k? Part numbers?
Sponsored

Last edited: