Sponsored

Gladiator 3rd tail light replacement

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
New connector and pins, same shit.

So after wasting time with repinning the wires and a new connector, I went back to something I had tried before. Again, i inspected the wires and pins. I thought maybe they got pulled during linex. But they were fine as far as i could tell.

So i tried noalox before, but i only dabbed it to the pin holes.

This time, i dipped the pins into the opening of the tube and really got the noalox in there.

For the first time, i got consistent working center light. I'll see how long it lasts.
But the whole thing took less than five minutes with an electric screw driver with t30 torx bit. Depinning tool. A paper clip would work for these pins. And a small tube of noalox.

Good luck to the rest of you.
Sponsored

JohnQ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MOJAVE, 2018 GC Trailhawk, 1989 Jeep Comanche
Wiggle your plug. If the light has gone south, I have one that works that I might be able to sell. I bought it to avoid going to the dealer as well. Hahaha. I paid $45.
I took it back apart and wiggling the plug got it to work. Thank you. I put some dielectric grease on it and so far its working as normal.
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator 3rd tail light replacement IMG_E5168.JPG

Snazzwillys

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Engineer
I have done a video on how to replace your 3rd brake light that goes on your tailgate. Hopefully it helps out.

I appreciated your video very much. Just finished replacing mine at 5,248 miles. Your video was very helpful. Thanks

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciated your video very much. Just finished replacing mine at 5,248 miles. Your video was very helpful. Thanks
Why not take it to dealership, that is covered under warranty and it's only like a hour wait or less

charliez

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Mine was not under warranty, so I fixed it with an 8.99 led strip from Amazon

Sponsored

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I also had to replace mine. approx. $70 through wholesale Mopar parts online. I believe the problem is not with the connector, but, the connection at the board... I think the connector does not have enough support to keep it well connected to the board. I think all the 4wheeling and bouncing around is what causes the connector separation from the board. The connectors themselves seem fine, nice and tight. Probably just a bad batch with the 2020 models.

charliez

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT
the problem is not with the connector, but, the connection at the board... I think the connector does not have enough support to keep it well connected to the board.

Spot on. It's really nothing more than a printed circuit on a sticker stuck to an aluminum strip. The solder point foe the pins that make up the plug are about as big as a flea and there is not sufficient support to keep them from breaking loose. Typical home soldering stuff is not the proper stuff to repair it with unless you get lucky. The aluminum strip acts as a heat sink making a home repair almost impossible. I sliced mine ope with a dremel, then trimmed the board with snips to make a place for the wires to exit then applied one of these led strips then glued it all shut. I connected it so the factory plug stayed in place on the tail gate side so it's still there.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014V4RX5A?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

vicsvx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S 3.0
I had my 3rd taillight replaced under warranty last month... And boom thr new one is already SOL. anyone have this issue? I have another appointment on Tuesday. I took the tailgate panel off and wiggled the connector and nothing. Put the multimeter to the plug and I was getting voltage... So it's telling me the light is shot
Sponsored