First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 XJ Pioneer, 17 WK2 3.6, 18 JLU 3.6, 22 JTOD 3.0
Occupation
LEO - Life in Chino
Just though I would add to this thread. 2001 Overland developed a leak at approx. 35,000 miles. Was going to go the silicone route but figured since it was still under warranty let me see what the dealer will do. Long story short, took it in, dealer confirmed the leak, ordered a new back glass and installed it within a week. So far so good...if another leak develops I will let everyone know. ✌
I'm more impressed that you've had a Gladiator for 22 years and you never told anyone...
Sponsored

SF_E60

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2010 BMW M5, 2023 Tesla M3
Occupation
Software Engineer
Initially I noticed mine leaking couple months back but didn't think any thing of it since my car wash guy comes over every 3 weeks. I thought maybe he had opened the rear window and didn't close it all the way. Fast forward to a month ago here in California we got crazy rainstorms. Heading up to the mountains as we are sitting in traffic I noticed water dripping down the rear window:mad:. I'm thinking I'm still under warranty so I thought since I was still under milage.

Take it to my local dealer and find out warranty expired, completely forgot it's 3 years or 36k miles whatever comes first :facepalm:.

So now I'm in the same boat as some of you. I saw a video on youtube of a guy using this to fix the leaking... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BKEBO0?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I'm going to try this and see how it goes.

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon, '04 Tacoma PreRunner
Occupation
Tech Support
dealer in Poway is replacing my entire rear window under warranty for the leak.

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech Support
Well, crap. It's raining here in Ventura too, although lighter than everywhere else. Guess what I found in the Jeep?
0128212338b.jpg
0128212338c.jpg
Mine was/is doing the same thing. Have the dealer replacing the rear glass under warranty. That is if they ever get the 1 shock they also need to replace.

Shrek

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
So I made an account just to give my experience here.

I took my truck to the dealership end of last October to get my leak fixed and they just slapped some sealant in it and said it was good to go and gave it back. It leaked so I took it back again and they did the exact same thing and I even asked " are you sure it's not leaking?" "Yeah we tested it and everything. It's good." Next day it leaked again.
Its November at this point and after calling around, no other dealership is willing to work on it due to this history so i have to call back and they then proceeded to tell me they'd have to hold on to it for a week to figure out what's wrong with it (informed them of everything I've read here) so I asked for a loaner and they said I'd be on a list. One thing lead to another with no answer to phone calls and unreturned messages for over a month. I had one answered phone call middle of December saying too many employees were on vacation. End of January comes around and someone picks up the phone and tells me "the woman in charge of the list quit on January 1st we can get you in a loaner on February 20th."

February comes around, I get my loaner and they take my truck. 2 weeks later I'm told "we haven't got to your truck yet, we'll get to it this week."

We're into March at this point and I'm in the second loaner because they sold the first one while I was driving it. Finally get a call and they tell me, "so we put some sealer in there and were gunna water test it to see if that fixed it."
Weekend passes, "hey it didn't fix the leak we ordered a new window. No this window didn't shatter it just wouldn't hold the seal." Two weeks go by and they say "hey your truck is good to go we replaced the window." I show up and asked them if they replaced the tint and they say they'll schedule a time for me to come back but then change their mind after I wait 20 minutes for my keys and tell me nevermind here is the loaner back, we'll just do it now. I haven't even seen my truck at this point.
I come back 2 days later after they say it's done and inspect the work.

***NOW IS THE FUN PART***
Glass was installed with the aftermarket PGW glass like someone else on this mentioned. Shards of glass EVERYWHERE, literally two handfuls worth and both ends of the sliding glass latch. I was told this was the only window they could order and it is OEM. I threw a fit and had to talk to the parts manager who came and took 20 pictures of the window while I was cleaning out the glass. He stated he would order a new window and let me know when it gets in if it's the OEM Mopar glass or the same thing. I ended up taking the truck home because I hadn't had it in a month and wanted it back for a bit, this was all yesterday.

***IT KEEPS GOING*** TODAY I was inspecting it closer and noticed a few "minor" things that the dealership missed. Paint on the back was now chipped. Top lip of my truck bed completely covered in scratches from small rocks and dirt from someone's shoes. Back window is installed 1/2in to the right and completely bowed away from the cab on the right side. Plastic trim piece on the top in the inside was broken and needs to be replaced. Both plastic pieces on the right holding the defroster cable destroyed and need to be replaced. Defroster points not connected to the window. Back window does not slide open and falls off of track. More glass everywhere. Tint put on poorly with gaps and bubbles. And lastly there was window sealant on the leather seats and not just like little bits, globs the size of quarters. Company also left an LED flashlight tied to the metal bracket the seats latch onto when in the up position.

I did not take pictures, the dealership took a lot as Mopar requested them before ordering a new window and dealer weren't the ones to actually install the glass but the GearStop next door did the work so they had to show it to their management.

Needless to say tomorrow I am raising Hell.
TLDR: just put the rubber piping on and forget the hassle...

Sponsored

Shrek

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Corrected time stamp for accuracy, I didn't mention reading about other problems and whatnot in this forum until I was swapping out for the first loaner in February.

SF_E60

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
Sorry to hear about your experience at that dealership. After reading couple threads here about dealership replacing the rear window and still having leaks I ended up doing what someone recommended and fixed the issue myself with this... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BKEBO0?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I bought 4 of these and waited for a good time when it wasn't going to be windy. Since I have a roof top tent it was a pita to apply with the tent closed. I ended up opening up the tent climbing up and applying. Needless to say procedure went smoothly. So far no leaks!! In this crazy rain/snow season we've had here in California. Good luck with the dealership hope they get things right for once this time around.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
I'll try the silicon fix when the wind and rain stop.
3K miles later, no leaks. Small tube of silicon sealer 5 minutes of my time, no trips to dealers or window replacement.

2kXJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 XJ
I have a small leak, will give this a try. Thanks OP!

AstroZombie

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Tech Support
dealer in Poway is replacing my entire rear window under warranty for the leak.
Still waiting for them to replace my window!! Made an appointment Wednesday.

Sponsored

grapemustard

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Sorry to hear about your experience at that dealership. After reading couple threads here about dealership replacing the rear window and still having leaks I ended up doing what someone recommended and fixed the issue myself with this... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BKEBO0?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I bought 4 of these and waited for a good time when it wasn't going to be windy. Since I have a roof top tent it was a pita to apply with the tent closed. I ended up opening up the tent climbing up and applying. Needless to say procedure went smoothly. So far no leaks!! In this crazy rain/snow season we've had here in California. Good luck with the dealership hope they get things right for once this time around.

so i had the exact same leak as pictured in this thread on my 2022… as an aside, i also had a REALLY annoying whistle from the back window area at freeway speeds as well.. i noticed water on my back bulkhead, ordered this permatex sealant from amazon and put it around my rear window glass. it hasn’t rained yet, so time will tell if i got all the leaks, but the drive into work this morning was nice and quiet with no more whistling from the back window area.

anyone with a leak also have a whistle? i also have an alucab camper shell, which i noticed the whistling substantially increased when i put that on (within the last month).. so maybe a combo of the camper shell and the rear window leak.

i went ahead and ordered two more tubes of the permatex just to make sure i get ALL of the possible leaking areas.

SF_E60

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Engineer
so i had the exact same leak as pictured in this thread on my 2022… as an aside, i also had a REALLY annoying whistle from the back window area at freeway speeds as well.. i noticed water on my back bulkhead, ordered this permatex sealant from amazon and put it around my rear window glass. it hasn’t rained yet, so time will tell if i got all the leaks, but the drive into work this morning was nice and quiet with no more whistling from the back window area.

anyone with a leak also have a whistle? i also have an alucab camper shell, which i noticed the whistling substantially increased when i put that on (within the last month).. so maybe a combo of the camper shell and the rear window leak.

i went ahead and ordered two more tubes of the permatex just to make sure i get ALL of the possible leaking areas.
No whistling for me. Maybe my Rebel half rack w/RTT is helping me with not having any whistling. I used up 3 tubes to make sure I didn't have any leaks. Till date 2 big storms hit here since then and no leaks. Good luck!

Ferd

First Name
Ferd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
To the original poster, how’s that weather striping fix holding out? San Diego/OC is getting slammed again this year and I’m gonna try your fix.

93civej1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
To the original poster, how’s that weather striping fix holding out? San Diego/OC is getting slammed again this year and I’m gonna try your fix.
Im curious too. I am thinking about just going ahead and doing this. Ive just been letting mine leak.
Sponsored