Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
That would never work...the launch editions were sold out within hours of the reservation system going online last July. Ford even doubled the number of launch editions, but they were snatched up in a heartbeat.
Well aware, I was of course just poking fun, but there’s also always ones that show up unsold on dealer lots.
Sponsored

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True...maybe my order will be kept by the dealer to sell on their lot
I was pretty psyched to cross shop them with the Gladiator. I’ve always been a Ford guy, had a 02 Lighting, 92 SHO manual, SVT Contour, 03 Marauder, after a while I gave up, been in the Jeep almost a year now, still no Bronco :headbang:

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
What Jeep did especially well with the current crop (JL/JT) is really put effort toward how the end user enthusiast will use the vehicle. Money was spent on ultimately frivolous things that do nothing more than cause people to smile. They're pretty singular in that regard in today's market. Ford did well emulating that strategy, and really set out to dethrone Jeep's dominance in the off road niche. For that reason alone, it's worth consideration. I'm in a similar position to OP in terms of currently shopping and keeping an open mind, and I gave the Bronco a good hard look.

Two things killed it for me. One is that I need truck capabilities, a bed, etc. I just do a lot of trucky things, and not having a bed or serious payload/towing capacity is what's kept me out of a Jeep to this point. OP does not share that need.

The bigger thing, and my wife is the one that called me out on this, is that it's a Ford. Over the past few decades, Ford has made some hellaciously bad engineering mistakes, and nearly to a one has left the owners of these cars high and dry. The most recent instance that comes immediately to mind, and that I have direct experience with is the DCTs. Bad design caused near universal early failure. I drove one that was in the end stage at just 16K miles. Instead of doing anything that might even approximate a right thing by any justification or stretch of the imagination, they just said "fuck 'em" and pulled out of the car market (save the Mustang). They got some marginal extended warranty, but didn't fix the issue, so those cars have a very definite and very short shelf life. "Tough titty Ford small car buyers. Work harder." -Ford. Not OK. This was not an isolated incident.

Ford is the reason I'm into cars at all, actually. My sophomore year of college, I bought an '01 Ford Focus. I paid however much for it when I bought it, then proceeded to pay 3X that keeping it on the road, because it was so incredibly, awfully bad. Fuel pump, plastic parts in the cooling system just falling apart at the seams, another fuel pump (no recall, just a "fuck you"), some electrical issue I forget exactly, yet another fuel pump, and on and on and on. Once I graduated, I immediately sold it with the intention to buy something that would either never break down (fantasy) or that I could fix myself with a paperclip and chewing gum. I got into air cooled VWs. Never another Ford, even if it looks really cool, I'll not be burned that badly again.

Ford has a lot riding on the Bronco, so maybe they tried a little harder this time, but with that kind of track record, I wouldn't put a dime on it. I kept an open mind and gave it a hard look. I really like what I saw, but I'm not doing that again.

gmcul8r

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave, 1963 IH Scout
Occupation
Buyer
I had 2 day 1 reservations for the Bronco (FE & Badlands) and recently cancelled them both and bought a Mojave.

I could write a novel about my experience and thought process, but in the end it came down to sacrifices and Ford's fumbled launch. Arrival dates kept getting pushed back, items they featured/showed kept becoming "late availability" . In the end I had a Bronco that I was having to make sacrifices on what I wanted just to get it in my driveway. Also, with the countless problems Ford has had with this launch I had zero confidence the vehicle would be problem free. If they can't get the top right, how many other issues will it have?

Plus those fenders and the Bronco6G community are just awful

Ultimately, when I looked at how much I was going to spend, I thought I was getting much more for my money with the Gladiator.

Sponsored

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
The sport is tiny. Reminds me of the Ford Escape.

The only drawback to the Jeep...
I had the pleasure of driving in a freak hail storm the other day. All I had time to do was throw my freedom panels on. So I was sans top and doors. Unique experience for sure. I had my cab filled with hail and water. On the plus side...the Jeep took a Biblical style deluge with no issues and cleaned up great. Those drain holes are for reals. I used my carpet cleaner to remove the excess water from the carpet. 303 wipes on the plastic. Looks good as new.

The only Broncos I have seen are the sport. They. Seem tiny. And I am reminded of a new defender bu they look smaller. IMHO
Jeep Gladiator Gladiator vs Bronco. tempImageOEdgO8

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
The only Broncos I have seen are the sport. They. Seem tiny. And I am reminded of a new defender bu they look smaller. IMHO
The sports are not the Broncos that the OP is referencing. The ones you are seeing (Sports) are based on the Escape platform, and are mini soccer mom SUVs.

Deleted member 39643

The sports are not the Broncos that the OP is referencing. The ones you are seeing (Sports) are based on the Escape platform, and are mini soccer mom SUVs.
Yeah agreed, would be like comparing the lame renegade to a Bronco. A shame that Ford and Jeep put off road packages on either.

I'd be interested to see how the Ford feels with a manual. Has a 7MT which is pretty cool. Jeep nerfed the manual in favor of mpg / auto crowd, another shame.

cuellar13

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 RAM, 2021 Bronco Big Bend, 1966 GMC Stepside
Occupation
Director of Recruitment for Pharma/Biotech/Device Consulting Firm
I'm a Ford and Jeep guy. I see greener grass on both sides with the Bronco and Gladiator. I chose the Gladiator because of the bed, I missed my Jeep, and my general love for customizing my vehicles (I traded a JKU in on a new 2018 F150 ecoboost, then traded that for the 2020 Gladiator). That being said, we also did the Bronco preorder (2 door) and my wife will be driving that once we get it. Here are my thoughts:
  • I prefer the JT interior to the Bronco's, especially my leather Rubicon interior
  • If you aren't planning to replace the bumpers, the Bronco bumpers look cheap IMO, including the awful modular upgraded ones; to add to this point, the Bronco will be playing catch up for a while in terms of aftermarket parts and accessories available.
  • JTs have a bed, which I need
  • If you are doing a lot of highway driving, my guess is that the Bronco would be easier on your wallet. My F150 got great gas mileage
  • I NEVER had a single issue with Ford's stereo/entertainment system, meanwhile, my JT system freezes on me, almost daily
  • If you are getting an automatic, my Ford ecoboost with the 10 speed auto seemed much smoother and responsive than my JT
I'm sure there are brand "purists" and loyalists on both sides of the Ford and Jeep aisles that will disagree with some of my comments, but opinions are like assholes, right? Keep in mind it may be challenging finding objective opinions on a forum dedicated to either of the vehicles. Obviously I chose to go with a Gladiator....

Sponsored

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Kia Cadenza, 2020 Jeep Gladiator JT Sport S
I'm a Ford and Jeep guy. I see greener grass on both sides with the Bronco and Gladiator. I chose the Gladiator because of the bed, I missed my Jeep, and my general love for customizing my vehicles (I traded a JKU in on a new 2018 F150 ecoboost, then traded that for the 2020 Gladiator). That being said, we also did the Bronco preorder (2 door) and my wife will be driving that once we get it. Here are my thoughts:
  • I prefer the JT interior to the Bronco's, especially my leather Rubicon interior
  • If you aren't planning to replace the bumpers, the Bronco bumpers look cheap IMO, including the awful modular upgraded ones; to add to this point, the Bronco will be playing catch up for a while in terms of aftermarket parts and accessories available.
  • If you are doing a lot of highway driving, my guess is that the Bronco would be easier on your wallet. My F150 got great gas mileage
  • I NEVER had a single issue with Ford's stereo/entertainment system, meanwhile, my JT system freezes on me, almost daily
  • If you are getting an automatic, my Ford ecoboost with the 10 speed auto seemed much smoother and responsive than my JT
I'm sure there are brand "purists" and loyalists on both sides of the Ford and Jeep aisles that will disagree with some of my comments, but opinions are like assholes, right? Keep in mind it may be challenging finding objective opinions on a forum dedicated to either of the vehicles. Obviously I chose to go with a Gladiator....
Really? Isn't the transmission the exact thing that people are now complaning about on the Bronco side because it's subpar? I love our transmission and I'm not sure how much better you can do than that. Also, you may wanna get your infotainment checked, mine has never frozen and never should.

Motoarch

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Occupation
Architect
This is more or less my take on `the vehicles after sitting in the same 2 Broncos the OP is referencing.

The fact that I can't verify some of those things given we couldn't drive the Bronco and I like the JT interior much more AND the fact that as of right now the Bronco might as well be vaporware I bought my Gladiator.

I still have my Bronco reservation and had the priority code changed to 99. This way I can always still order a one next year if I get to drive one and decide I like it after all. Figure my Jeep won't have lost much value and I can trade it in.

We'll see. So far Im really liking my Jeep but only have 400 miles on it.

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
🤣🤣😂🤣😂or gladiator versus Corvette.
Funny this is the most common vehicle a Jeep is cross shopped against is a ...........boat. Recreational vehicles. I bet a vette isn’t too far down that list.

Papa Jawa

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco BL & Rubi Recon, 99 Miata
I know its not apples to apples. But the pickup truck aspect of a Gladiator is a want not a need.

So for me its between the Gladiator and the Bronco.

10) The anti-matter blue was GORGEOUS.

I'm looking forward to driving it within the month. I'm expecting it to drive better than a Jeep on the road. I drove a couple of jeeps recently and have decided that I may not want to live with the poor on-road manners of the jeep as an everyday driver.
Love Love Love my Mojave! Don (OP), great write up, appreciate the info.

I'm a week 2 Bronco Res holder, I was all in! Then delays, communication failures and just general blue oval dumbassery was wearing on my freaking soul. After 7 months of Ford exhaust "UP" my personal tailpipe I was informed by Ford I am a lucky MY22 Bronco reservation holder. Because of allotment and dealer allocation, and all the other stuff, I would not be able to purchase for another flippin' year. I was so pissed off.

When my Bronco comes in, I am going to trade/sell my Mojave, and pick up my Bronco. I am going to pick it up, drive it home; if I like it, I may (probably not) keep it - If not, I'll flip it. There will be somebody that can't buy one and wants to.

Real goal! To take the cash from my current rig and a Bronco to buy what I really really really want! I want a Jeep Gladiator 4xe; Mojave - hopefully, a Rubi - would be acceptable, :LOL: LOL!!! I am thinking by mid 2022 We should know about the JT 4xe... Then! Then... I will be done...

My Mojave is the coolest M'F'er I have ever driven/owned in my life! She gifts me with a smile every mile. It's a shell game. In the end I know the Bronco won't cut it, and quite frankly a Wrangler isn't my thing either. It will be a Jeep Gladiator in my driveway! The Gladiator just speaks to and fits some people, and yeah... "I'm uh, one'a those folks, I'm a Gladiator."

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
First Name
Reinhardt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Love Love Love my Mojave! Don (OP), great write up, appreciate the info.

I'm a week 2 Bronco Res holder, I was all in! Then delays, communication failures and just general blue oval dumbassery was wearing on my freaking soul. After 7 months of Ford exhaust "UP" my personal tailpipe I was informed by Ford I am a lucky MY22 Bronco reservation holder. Because of allotment and dealer allocation, and all the other stuff, I would not be able to purchase for another flippin' year. I was so pissed off.

When my Bronco comes in, I am going to trade/sell my Mojave, and pick up my Bronco. I am going to pick it up, drive it home; if I like it, I may (probably not) keep it - If not, I'll flip it. There will be somebody that can't buy one and wants to.

Real goal! To take the cash from my current rig and a Bronco to buy what I really really really want! I want a Jeep Gladiator 4xe; Mojave - hopefully, a Rubi - would be acceptable, :LOL: LOL!!! I am thinking by mid 2022 We should know about the JT 4xe... Then! Then... I will be done...

My Mojave is the coolest M'F'er I have ever driven/owned in my life! She gifts me with a smile every mile. It's a shell game. In the end I know the Bronco won't cut it, and quite frankly a Wrangler isn't my thing either. It will be a Jeep Gladiator in my driveway! The Gladiator just speaks to and fits some people, and yeah... "I'm uh, one'a those folks, I'm a Gladiator."
The JT is my first Jeep, and I feel the same. The smiles have never been as lasting as in the Gladiator.
Sponsored