Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
I can not believe I read the whole thread and not one DUDE ITS A JEEP THING 🙃 HAHAHAHA
I would have, but after owning a dozen or so, this was not normal wandering for me. I currently have 2 Jeeps, both purchased new... a '05 TJ and now the '20 JT. The TJ drove much better than the JT did at first... then I had the steering gear swap done, and the JT is way better than the TJ, just as it should be.
Sponsored

Mayhem 6

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR; 2020 JLUR; 2015 JKW; 2016 JKUR (Sold); 2014 JKSS (Sold); 2008 JKUR (Sold)
Good catch. Yes, I got a new set of Rubicon take offs from a 22 with stock Wildpeak tires, however I had this same issue before I replaced the stock set. I also felt with both the stock and Rubicon set that the alignment was off. So after I put the Rubicon set on I had an alignment done at the dealer. They said it was off and fixed it but this made no difference. My gut tells me its the aluminum steering box so want Jeep to replace this at a minimum. Everyone here has been so helpful. So glad I found and joined this forum. Thanks All!
When I traded my '16 JKUR for my '20 JT and my wife's '16 JKUS for a '20 JLUR the steering was loose in both and they wandered--especially at highway speed. It was worse stock than any of my previous jeeps (83 CJ, 08 JKUR, 13 JK, 14 JKS, 15 JKW, 16 JKUR, 16 JKUS -- I have a Jeep problem)...until the TSB came out and they replaced the steering gears in both. It is an immediate and noticeable difference.

I'm now running 35s and a teraflex level on stock Rubi suspension and it tracks as good as my '16 JKUR with a one-ton steering setup.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
When I traded my '16 JKUR for my '20 JT and my wife's '16 JKUS for a '20 JLUR the steering was loose in both and they wandered--especially at highway speed. It was worse stock than any of my previous jeeps (83 CJ, 08 JKUR, 13 JK, 14 JKS, 15 JKW, 16 JKUR, 16 JKUS -- I have a Jeep problem)...until the TSB came out and they replaced the steering gears in both. It is an immediate and noticeable difference.

I'm now running 35s and a teraflex level on stock Rubi suspension and it tracks as good as my '16 JKUR with a one-ton steering setup.
Your JT is running a very similar setup to mine. When I added the take-offs/level lift and the 35's, the truck rode even smoother and more stable.

(I've had... '64 Wagoneer, '73 Wagoneer, 2x '79 Cherokee, 2x '89 YJ, '90 YJ, '90 XJ, '00 TJ, '05 TJ (current), and '20 JT (current)) Only the '05 and the '20 we've owned since new.

I only had a loose steering on 2 jeeps... the '64, and the '20. The '64 I was able to adjust it out with the steering gear lash, and the '20 was replaced under the TSB.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
When I bought my Gladiator I drove from Tennessee all the way back to California I was all over the road like you said. Two things I think that have helped me in the last year. A) More weight in the bed. B) A fox steering stabilizer. Both have helped significantly. But yeah I definitely don't miss that squirly feeling. Scared the crap out of me.
Did you do those at the same time?

Sponsored

OP
OP

DMZ33

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 1972 Chevy Corvette
Occupation
Engineer

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 gladiator rubicon
Did you do those at the same time?
Around different times. Weight in the bed was about 4 months before. The weight helped the rear end which felt like it was "breaking loose" at times on my trip back from Tennessee. The stabilizer helped with the front end handling. Originally I ran a basic non adjustable stabilizer I had left over from a past jeep. Once I installed that there was a very nice improvement. Recently I swapped out to an adjustable falcon stabilizer just so I would have the option to adjust which is a nice feature.

Uparms

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT, 2020 JT, 72 CJ5,2005 LJ, 2002 TJ, 92 YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just my 2 cents, try many of the great advices above but I don't think the steering gear is the issue. That was to fix the wandering. Definitely get the new iron gear, you will notice a difference. But I don't think it will solve the initial posting complaint. While this is a first Jeep, is this also your first solid front axle 4WD?

OP
OP

DMZ33

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Just my 2 cents, try many of the great advices above but I don't think the steering gear is the issue. That was to fix the wandering. Definitely get the new iron gear, you will notice a difference. But I don't think it will solve the initial posting complaint. While this is a first Jeep, is this also your first solid front axle 4WD?
Yes, first solid axle 4WD. However I do think the combination of steering sloppiness and wandering along with the solid axle is making for a horrible ride. Based on everything that has been said here and the additional research I have done since posting I am thinking this is not just purely a Jeep thing. My plan is to have the TSB done and swap for steel steering box. I have a feeling this will be make a nice improvement. If that somehow doesn't help enough thinking maybe I will add a Steer Smarts Yeti XD Sector Shaft Brace https://www.morris4x4center.com/sector-shaft-brace-with-frame-side-track-bar-bracket.html. I may also add a steering stabilizer regardless of either fix or the way it drives after. I like the idea of the adjustable steering stabilizer and being able to stiffen the steering. I realize this will never drive like my Tahoe but would really like to make marked improvement in the way this drives. Looking for any suggestions on my plan (I am a newbie with this stuff). Thanks All, everyone here has been very helpful and this Jeep community has been awesome!

Sponsored

Jeepin' John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JT Sport S
Occupation
Structural Engineer
My "walking sideways" over bumps issue was due to the overly soft oem sport s shocks. They are too soft relative to the springs, so when i hit a bump, the axles did whatever they wanted to, and that usually meant going in different directions. Solid axles don't like to be misaligned. A set of falcon shocks later (all 5 - steering stabilizer included) and i can hit bumps like a car

OP
OP

DMZ33

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
My "walking sideways" over bumps issue was due to the overly soft oem sport s shocks. They are too soft relative to the springs, so when i hit a bump, the axles did whatever they wanted to, and that usually meant going in different directions. Solid axles don't like to be misaligned. A set of falcon shocks later (all 5 - steering stabilizer included) and i can hit bumps like a car
Thanks John. Can you share which Falcons you purchased?

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
agree - every time the dealer does the jeep wave oil change and tire rotation I have to air down from 40+ to 35 (JT Overland 285/70R18)
I think they overinflate the tires to prevent customers from whining about "Low Tire Pressure" alerts when the weather gets cold.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Either way tell them you want the steering box replaced. If you want the steel one and it's under warranty still and your having a steering issue they got to replace it. They should offer you a list to look over and if you say you got one thing happening on that list then they are supposed to order the part. Sounds like you have at least one thing on the list going on. Just make sure you put the stock steering stabilizer back on if you have a aftermarket one because that will normally be what they try to say the issue is.
I had an aftermarket steering stabilizer on mine and they still replaced it with no issues. I asked them if they wanted me to put the stock one on and I left it on the PS floorboard just in case.
Sponsored