Grommet/Gasket for tailgate center hole

DrEric1

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1996 BMW M3
Hi All - that hole for the camera wire is HUGE, and, of course, if sweeping out the bed collects a lot of debris. Anyone fine a grommet that easily fits in there to help seal it up?
Sponsored

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
1F17951A-AC6B-41C4-AF5C-D58AC01C444E.jpeg
A40A7732-0305-4067-9FFB-73F1B384AD83.jpeg
I noticed that huge hole myself a few days ago when I was putting rubber matting on my tailgate. Was thinking that maybe Jeep forgot to put a big grommet there. Was going to bring it up to my dealership next time I had to go see them. Cancel that now that I know that it was a huge oversight on all Gladiators by Jeep, not an oversight on just my Gladiator.

Hey @JeepCares what’s the deal here? Please advise. See the attached 2 pictures so you will know what we are talking about. What’s up with the missing grommet? I can see squirrels making a nest in my tailgate. Please advise. Thanks

Robieman

First Name
Robie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford F150; '20 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Retired
I noticed that huge hole myself a few days ago when I was putting rubber matting on my tailgate. Was thinking that maybe Jeep forgot to put a big grommet there. Was going to bring it up to my dealership next time I had to go see them. Cancel that now that I know that it was a huge oversight on all Gladiators by Jeep, not an oversight on just my Gladiator.

Hey @JeepCares what’s the deal here? Please advise. See the attached 2 pictures so you will know what we are talking about. What’s up with the missing grommet? I can see squirrels making a nest in my tailgate. Please advise. Thanks
They will put nuts in there! I had a Blazer once they put several thru the hole similar to that, in the rear cargo area.

Rollcast

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
What are the dimensions of the hole? Maybe by sheer luck there will be a random firewall or body plug that will fit.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
I just measured it. It’s 1 3/4 inches tall and almost 3 inches long.

Sponsored

Sponsored

Col C

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Not sure how I didn't notice that before...

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care

Hi Jake,
I have reached out to internal resources to see if I could gather any additional information regarding this. I will circle back around if I hear anything.
Alex
Jeep Cares

JeepCares

First Name
JeepCares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Family
Occupation
Customer Care
Hi Everyone,
I did hear back. No piece is missing. The opening size is required to fit wiring connectors into the tailgate during manufacturing. When the tailgate latch is closed, this hole faces straight down and engineering testing confirmed that any accumulated debris will fall out onto the ground, eliminating the need for a grommet in this location. I hope this provides some clarification.
Alex
Jeep Cares
Sponsored