First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Military
Just upgraded to a 2021 Gladiator. Went to install the roll up bed cover and the normally installed nuts on the truck bed are missing. Dealer had no answers and no changes to install instruction for the Mopar roll up bed cover.
Sponsored

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Yup, there is also another thread here about it, my 2021 doesn't have them either, and looks like they were deleted for 2021. They accesable from outside cab, with taping a nut onto a wrench and holding it there, but I have not had to do and putting on an RSI cap I won't be, good luck.......Jack

Code 3

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTM

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
It's discussed in this thread and I think this is one of the first posts that mentions the "missing nuts"

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/mojave-edition-gladiator-jt-club.33157/post-570880

eta: mine was built 7/20 and thankfully has the nuts welded in place
Thanks for sharing the link. I will have to see what I get. I will have the OEM soft tonneau because I chose dual tops and they force you to order a tonneau to cover the box with the soft top in it. I have a BAK Revolver X4 on order and plan to swap them out ASAP. Hope the nuts won’t drop into the nether regions of the Jeep when they are unscrewed.

Sponsored

Bad Luck Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Gator, 2017Jeep JK 2dr
Occupation
Ret. Army
I am running in to the same issue, I don't believe you can get to the area from the backside of the bed though. I plan to use M6 Rivnuts to complete the install. My build date was 7/30.

asuprice

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Education
I’m having the same issue build date of August 13, 2020. Gladiator is a 2020 Rubicon

blvckb3vrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave | '03 Wrangler
It's discussed in this thread and I think this is one of the first posts that mentions the "missing nuts"

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/mojave-edition-gladiator-jt-club.33157/post-570880

eta: mine was built 7/20 and thankfully has the nuts welded in place
Just picked up a 2021 Mojave with a build date of 9.20 and am missing threads as well. Tried to install BAKFLIP MX4 hard tonneau last night and the install came to a screeching halt when I discovered this. I may talk with a local dealer and third-party installer this weekend to pick their brains if they've come across the situation.

Looks like some folks on the referenced thread are recommending rivnuts as a DIY solution until the vendors catch up to the new changes. Has anyone come across any aftermarket vendors working around this for installation of tonneau covers?

GobiJT

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
UPS
Mine were missing on my 2020 Mojave. I went to the hardware store and bought some lock nuts and washers. My wife's hand would fit between the bed and cab. It was a real pain but, we got it done.

WMWHV

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
Just picked up a 2021 Mojave with a build date of 9.20 and am missing threads as well. Tried to install BAKFLIP MX4 hard tonneau last night and the install came to a screeching halt when I discovered this. I may talk with a local dealer and third-party installer this weekend to pick their brains if they've come across the situation.

Looks like some folks on the referenced thread are recommending rivnuts as a DIY solution until the vendors catch up to the new changes. Has anyone come across any aftermarket vendors working around this for installation of tonneau covers?
When I saw this thread, I had my BAK Revolver X4 on order and my Jeep was on the train. I called BAK and asked them if it was going to be a problem. The guy who answered the customer support line put the phone down and talked to another guy there and then came back on the line and said they were aware of the situation and all the needed hardware should come in the box. The guy who did my bedliner sold me the tonneau and put it on for me. I told him there could be an issue, but he said everything bolted right up. That said, I had an OEM roll up tonneau that he took off, so mine might have had some hardware that those who did not get a factory tonneau did not. The purpose of this post is to report that BAK at least said they were aware of the situation and were including the hardware needed in the box. I forgot to ask the installer if there was extra hardware, so I did not verify their story.

Sponsored

matbow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
40th Anniversary Edition
When I saw this thread, I had my BAK Revolver X4 on order and my Jeep was on the train. I called BAK and asked them if it was going to be a problem. The guy who answered the customer support line put the phone down and talked to another guy there and then came back on the line and said they were aware of the situation and all the needed hardware should come in the box. The guy who did my bedliner sold me the tonneau and put it on for me. I told him there could be an issue, but he said everything bolted right up. That said, I had an OEM roll up tonneau that he took off, so mine might have had some hardware that those who did not get a factory tonneau did not. The purpose of this post is to report that BAK at least said they were aware of the situation and were including the hardware needed in the box. I forgot to ask the installer if there was extra hardware, so I did not verify their story.
So I'm installing the Bakflip X4 right now and I ran into this problem...no welded on nuts on the truck bed. I thought I was going crazy but this thread made me feel better!

After reading the last post I went back to the hardware packets and it seems there are some additional hardware items NOT mentioned in the instructions - specifically 2 jacknuts, 2 extra bolts and a friction wrench. Pretty sure these are the solution to the problem (the jacknut becomes the nut after you insert it from the truck bed side and then flatten/tighten it with the friction wrench), although since they are not mentioned in the instructions I am not 100% sure what they intended. I have an email into customer service to confirm.

So...assuming this is the fix...for those with this issue a jacknut is the solution to not having to mess around trying to get a nut behind the bed frame.

Bad Luck Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR Gator, 2017Jeep JK 2dr
Occupation
Ret. Army
This is just an FYI on the updated instructions and cover. I found the new installation instructions.

Installation Instructions

matbow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
40th Anniversary Edition
Follow-up to my post about the Baklflip - they provided updated installation instructions that were similar to the Mopar ones above, albeit using a jacknut not a rivnut. Would have been great if they had included those instructions in the first place, but at least they included the hardware to address the problem!

DLAW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Nissan Pathfinder, '08 Honda Civic, '12 Honda CR-V, '16 Honda Odyssey, 2021 JTR
Occupation
Predicting the future
Follow-up to my post about the Baklflip - they provided updated installation instructions that were similar to the Mopar ones above, albeit using a jacknut not a rivnut. Would have been great if they had included those instructions in the first place, but at least they included the hardware to address the problem!
I'm in the middle of a battle with Bakflip over how poorly this MX4 has been translated to the Gladiator. My install was HORRIBLE! The missing nut at the front of the bed was the easiest issue I ran into. I just used bolts and lock nuts. Those rivet nut things are a joke. When I installed the trail rails, both of the rivet nuts failed because the hex hole in the bed strips too easily. they spun on me with very little torque.

But holy cow, the other issues are insane.
  • The cover rails are 1/8" too long and my tailgate slams into them and doesn't latch. The tail was met with a loud BANG and I had no alternative but to get out the Dremel and grind down the rail so I could close the tailgate.
  • The rails near the rear don't have enough upward lifting support, they hang down slightly, so the rear fold of the cover does not latch properly. My solution was to stick a shim under the rail, near where the last cover latch is.
  • The middle of the rails have zero support and are very flimsy when putting the cover down. All videos online for the install are full size trucks and they all use clamps to hold the rails tight.
  • The two slots at the front of the rail, where the cover attaches were too close together after install, so it was a battle to get the cover on. Now this means I can NOT use the feature of being able to remove/reinstall the cover quickly.
I'm wondering if the thickness of the spray in liner is causing some issues, but c'mon, liners are too common to cause a catastrophic failure for something like this. For spending a grand on this thing, I'm sick to my stomach about it.

Now Bakflip wants me to send them photos via email and I fear this is going to go nowhere. What the heck is my last resort? spend hours taking this thing off and somehow boxing it back up for a return? I should have went with Mopar on the original order.

UHG! :mad:
Sponsored