Sponsored

Has anybody driven a Rubicon and Mojave back to back?

Moe-Jave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Few topics illustrate subjective opinions better than asking someone what they think about suspension / ride quality. There just isn't a way to objectively quantify ride preference for everyone. I drove a few different models and one thing is for sure -- any Gladiator rides better than any stock Wrangler. The long wheel base is key for that. I know the question is about Rubicon vs. Mojave, but I'd also suggest a drive in the base model. You might be surprised how nice it rides if you also prefer the Rubicon ride over the Mojave. That might reveal something about your personal preferences...

Anyhow, a low-speed test drive in the city isn't enough to highlight the big differences. If you value high-speed dirt driving, the difference is astounding. If you don't value those differences, that's okay too. If you can, drive a Rubicon over rough stuff at speed. It becomes unbearable where the Mojave glides comfortably. If you couple low pressure 35s, it is even better. That's where the design-target is...

For comparison, I also have access to a Raptor, and for all of the hype, it is exactly the same formula for high-speed dirt/desert running in terms of suspension/frame tweaks. This captures that feeling in a package that works better for narrow trail use.

Back on topic, I can see where the Rubicon setup might be preferred on the street where suspension travel matters less in normal driving. It might even be more "car like" in terms of body movement.

If you drive over lots of rough roads and dirt, the difference is substantial -- but as illustrated in this thread, nobody can tell another random person what to prefer.

There's no going back for me. I think they nailed the suspension calibration for a very wide range of uses.
Sponsored

cranbiz

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2017 WK2 Trailhawk, 2012 JK
Occupation
IT Analyst, Volunteer Firefighter
Yes, I drove both. While the Mojave rode well I felt the Rubicon rode better.

My wife just came back from another long trip in it and still is commenting how well it rides and she is coming from a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk. That rode really well and had the better seats in it. With her back and hip issues, if it wasn't comfortable, I would be the first one to know about it.

BearFootSam

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Fed
Few topics illustrate subjective opinions better than asking someone what they think about suspension / ride quality. There just isn't a way to objectively quantify ride preference for everyone. I drove a few different models and one thing is for sure -- any Gladiator rides better than any stock Wrangler. The long wheel base is key for that. I know the question is about Rubicon vs. Mojave, but I'd also suggest a drive in the base model. You might be surprised how nice it rides if you also prefer the Rubicon ride over the Mojave. That might reveal something about your personal preferences...

Anyhow, a low-speed test drive in the city isn't enough to highlight the big differences. If you value high-speed dirt driving, the difference is astounding. If you don't value those differences, that's okay too. If you can, drive a Rubicon over rough stuff at speed. It becomes unbearable where the Mojave glides comfortably. If you couple low pressure 35s, it is even better. That's where the design-target is...

For comparison, I also have access to a Raptor, and for all of the hype, it is exactly the same formula for high-speed dirt/desert running in terms of suspension/frame tweaks. This captures that feeling in a package that works better for narrow trail use.

Back on topic, I can see where the Rubicon setup might be preferred on the street where suspension travel matters less in normal driving. It might even be more "car like" in terms of body movement.

If you drive over lots of rough roads and dirt, the difference is substantial -- but as illustrated in this thread, nobody can tell another random person what to prefer.

There's no going back for me. I think they nailed the suspension calibration for a very wide range of uses.
I might not have a say, given I've never driven a Mojave, yet what you're saying makes sense. What I think you missed, though, is the dynamics under load.

I've put 20k on my 22' Rubicon. It is rough on the road in a truck-like manner, crude where a sedan would be smooth while eating stuff that would slow the sedan down. I've noticed that the Rubicon rides best when loaded with 4-500 lbs, especially on faster dirt roads. Those characteristics aren't as optimal for high-speed off-road cruising, whereas in tight off-camber work, the effect is less wallowing and better stability at low speed. The more the truck is loaded, the more this would be evident.

Unfortunately, we don't get to test-drive loaded pickups. I'd venture that the driving dynamics between the Mojave and Rubicon would highlight their respective aptitudes for differing conditions.

Moe-Jave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
I might not have a say, given I've never driven a Mojave, yet what you're saying makes sense. What I think you missed, though, is the dynamics under load.

I've put 20k on my 22' Rubicon. It is rough on the road in a truck-like manner, crude where a sedan would be smooth while eating stuff that would slow the sedan down. I've noticed that the Rubicon rides best when loaded with 4-500 lbs, especially on faster dirt roads. Those characteristics aren't as optimal for high-speed off-road cruising, whereas in tight off-camber work, the effect is less wallowing and better stability at low speed. The more the truck is loaded, the more this would be evident.

Unfortunately, we don't get to test-drive loaded pickups. I'd venture that the driving dynamics between the Mojave and Rubicon would highlight their respective aptitudes for differing conditions.
Right, that's totally fair. You really can't test-drive any new vehicle as suggested. I agree the Rubicon is better with some load. I also think this is the part of subjectivity that is tricky -- I really like how all Jeeps ride, and personal bias is a big factor. I know others coming from cars are in for an adjustment period to say the least...

I've owned and driven many Rubicon trim Jeeps and what is common is the lack of suspension travel and compliance. This highlights the spring rate differences between the two. The point about being under some load applies to both. I've heard a few say that a Mojave drives better with a couple hundred pounds in the bed. My own Mojave has just under that load all the time between tools and recovery equipment, etc.

I believe the Mojave copes better under any load/condition for roads or graded dirt (and especially as conditions worsen at speed). I understand the use-case is different for both, but this conversation started about road manners (with the assumption the OP knows what the rest of the strengths are for each).

If the OP sincerely wants to know which rides better, I also invited the idea of trying other trim levels if road manners is a top priority. What makes the Mojave special also makes it better mannered in terms of ride. It is night and day for me and many others, but I get that not everyone is sensitive to this (or even care/prefer it).
Sponsored