Sponsored

Has anybody driven a Rubicon and Mojave back to back?

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
I have no experience with a diesel jeep but did drive a 6.5L turbo diesel H1 Hummer for awhile. One day it would barely start and run. The local dealer flat bedded it to the shop and found algae in the fuel system and had to replace a high pressure injector or something similar at $1600 for the part plus labor. I had bought the truck used and it was out of warranty but they did all the work for free and delivered the truck back the next day. I can't say I've ever had a gas engine problem that ran that much.

People who drink the diesel cool aid. After 20 years in diesel & performance, its a matter of when, not if the diesel problems will occur at 3x the cost and more downtime.
How awesome is it where you can only drive 1/2 the speed limit with DEF issues and reduced power mode.
Sponsored

Willpower1

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2021 Challenger Hellcat Widebody
Occupation
Physical Therapist
Drove both, Mojave hands down for me. Liked the reinforced frame and suspension. Loved the way it drove and looked. It had more presence to me in person, stock for stock. Either would have done all I needed and more. Aesthetics did come into play.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition - Granite Crystal Metallic | 2017 Ford Raptor SuperCrew - Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Drove both, Mojave hands down for me. Liked the reinforced frame and suspension. Loved the way it drove and looked. It had more presence to me in person, stock for stock. Either would have done all I needed and more. Aesthetics did come into play.
tor-net-memegene-you-look-marvelous-julio-54153856.png

itsdapk

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgerssuperchargers.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave , 2019 Ram
Occupation
Sales Manager @ Hamburger's Superchargers

Sponsored

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

LOGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon
People who drink the diesel cool aid. After 20 years in diesel & performance, its a matter of when, not if the diesel problems will occur at 3x the cost and more downtime.
How awesome is it where you can only drive 1/2 the speed limit with DEF issues and reduced power mode.
please show me on this doll where the bad diesel touched you...

LOGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon
^^^Funniest thing ever!

itsdapk is a hamburglar super charger fan boy. He’ll always post negative about the diesel.
Then he's a bigger idiot than I thought lol. Slapping a SC on the 3.6 brings a whole mess of reliability issues, good tune or not. Add that to the weaker trans you get with the NA, even worse mpg, and everything else just isn't worth it in the end IMO.

but hey some people live their lives in fear. Oh the what "might be". I'm more of take it as it comes. I'll take the bad with the good and the smile the diesel puts on my face everyday is well worth what "might" happen.

itsdapk

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave , 2019 Ram
Occupation
Then he's a bigger idiot than I thought lol. Slapping a SC on the 3.6 brings a whole mess of reliability issues, good tune or not. Add that to the weaker trans you get with the NA, even worse mpg, and everything else just isn't worth it in the end IMO.

but hey some people live their lives in fear. Oh the what "might be". I'm more of take it as it comes. I'll take the bad with the good and the smile the diesel puts on my face everyday is well worth what "might" happen.
Well considering I visit over 200 shops a year in person and see what's really happening. I guess ya'll are all hand models since its on the internet it must be true!!!!
How many shops have you been to? Here's my list. Where's yours?

Jeep Gladiator Has anybody driven a Rubicon and Mojave back to back? Screenshot_20210831-103346_Maps

Sponsored

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
Well considering I visit over 200 shops a year in person and see what's really happening. I guess ya'll are all hand models since its on the internet it must be true!!!!
How many shops have you been to? Here's my list. Where's yours?

Screenshot_20210831-103346_Maps.jpg

Hi - i am not trying to pick a fight or anything but help me with your logic. This thread is about Mojave vs. Rubicon. Someone mentioned not liking the Mojave because it didn't have a diesel and you popped in with a picture of a burning OVERLAND diesel. In Canada. Doing the kind of towing that most Mojave and Rubicon buyers would find of secondary importance with respect to the intended "purpose" of a Rubicon or a Mojave. Then - when someone else points out that you may possibly have a bias against diesels because your other posts often promote 3.6 superchargers, your response is "yeah but I visit a lot of shops." What kind of shops? Diesel repair shops? Supercharger installation shops? Ye olde sandwich shoppe shops?

Look - before you go skewering something or someone would you please provide some context? What is your actual opinion, having actually driven a mojave or a rubicon back to back? I don't have one because I bought my JTR knowing I wanted a Rubicon from the moment they announced the potential possibility of a wrangler with a pickup bed and feverishly hoped they would not screw it up and offer a half assed rubicon badge toy... and halleluiah they offered the whole package. I didn't wait for a Mojave test drive because losing the lockers, sway bar disconnect and all the other slow-go toys were not worth it to me. So - I don't have an opinion on rubicon vs. mojave after driving them back to back. I'm here to read about it from people who did....

Thanks and have a nice day.

PS - I looked at a supercharger for my 3.6 on 35s but will probably just re-gear - leaving me with a reliable 6MT and no forced induction. Just the way jeeps are supposed to be for long term reliability and overlanding...

itsdapk

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave , 2019 Ram
Occupation
Please see the 2nd post in this thread. I've been on the road for 6 months in 3 different vehicles. a 20 Sport, 20 Rubicon, and 21 Mojave. Long drives and comfort Mojave by far takes it. I don't feel as beat up after a 10 hr drive in my Mojave.

itsdapk

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave , 2019 Ram
Occupation

gladslc

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Rubicon
Yes - wife and I both preferred the Rubicon (I was surprised), so that's what we have now!
Sponsored