OP

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Unfortunately, what draws me to the Rubicon over the Sport S has less to with its' off road capabilities, and more to do with stuff I could get on an Overland. Certainly there are things I love on the Rubi. And I will be doing some off roading. But I'm not gonna tow a near 5K lb tall cargo trailer with a 6K rated vehicle (Overland).

So that puts me trying to decide if:
A. The Rubi will tow 5K as comfortably as a Sport S or will there be a noticeable difference?
B. Am I willing to pay the substantial difference in price the Rubi and it's options cost?
C. Will I be as happy with the day-to-day ride and handling characteristics of a Rubicon as with a Sport S?

Drove a Max Tow this evening. Felt great, rode fine, no wander on the highway, acceptable highway wind noise. No Rubicon there, though. Drove a Rubi recently, seemed like whenever I lifted from the gas it was slowing quickly and seemed to need more pedal than I expected to keep her going. The Max Tow did not feel that way at all. So certainly I need to drive another Rubi or two when I can. Maybe the extra weight in gear and tires of the Rubicon really do make a noticeable difference in street feel.

Thanks again for the continued input.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You put the same set of tires on a Rubi and a Sport S and I am betting they will drive pretty much the same.
I hadn't thought of that aspect. I should have. Thanks.

OP
OP

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been playing this game for 6 months now and I still flip flop on the true value (to me) of one vs the other.
Can't tell you how many times I've finished a build on Jeep's website, then said to myself: That's it, that's the One.
Yeah, no.

Digger70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Altitude
seemed like whenever I lifted from the gas it was slowing quickly and seemed to need more pedal than I expected to keep her going.
My 2 month old JLU Sahara does that too. Just happened today, I was going down a hill and took my foot off the pedal and it started slowing down. I think it's the built-in hill descent control.

OP
OP

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 month old JLU Sahara does that too. Just happened today, I was going down a hill and took my foot off the pedal and it started slowing down. I think it's the built-in hill descent control.
Interesting. I was on level ground though. Wonder it that feature can act up? Lord knows, so many other of the nannies certainly do. Can't avoid them all, though.

Sponsored

Digger70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting. I was on level ground though. Wonder it that feature can act up? Lord knows, so many other of the nannies certainly do. Can't avoid them all, though.
I don't know. This new JL and now JT have all these basic safety features that are annoying. Like the auto-park feature. I was trying to back in my driveway using the rear camera and was too far to the side so I pulled forward to center myself then back up again and the jeep wouldn't go anywhere when I stepped on the gas. Had to put it in park then back in reverse.

OP
OP

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know. This new JL and now JT have all these basic safety features that are annoying. Like the auto-park feature. I was trying to back in my driveway using the rear camera and was too far to the side so I pulled forward to center myself then back up again and the jeep wouldn't go anywhere when I stepped on the gas. Had to put it in park then back in reverse.
That sort of thing lights a short fuse with me. I think it's our Toyota that if you unlock it with the remote, then not open a door in a certain amount of time, it relocks itself. Oh, and I don't care for auto-on headlights either. They don't come on nearly early enough. I plan on ordering a JT without the two optional safety doo-dad bundles. Being alert is still the best way to stay safe, IMO. Blind spot monitoring? … I can lean forward 2,3 inches thanks and check my mirrors. OK, I'm off topic. Sorry.

Digger70

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That sort of thing lights a short fuse with me. I think it's our Toyota that if you unlock it with the remote, then not open a door in a certain amount of time, it relocks itself. Oh, and I don't care for auto-on headlights either. They don't come on nearly early enough. I plan on ordering a JT without the two optional safety doo-dad bundles. Being alert is still the best way to stay safe, IMO. Blind spot monitoring? … I can lean forward 2,3 inches thanks and check my mirrors. OK, I'm off topic. Sorry.
It's your thread, you can go off topic :). Yeah that would be very annoying with the Toyota. Initially I was going to get the safety features on my JLU but saw a video of someone having problems with the back up sensors and I decided against it. I'm torn between the Rubicon and Overland. I don't plan to do much towing. I've always wanted a Rubicon.

OP
OP

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We test drove a Rubicon LE last night. Went to drive a regular Rubicon but they couldn't find it (was there when we got back). Thoroughly enjoyed the drive. Had none of the odd throttle characteristics of the only other Rubi I've driven.

So, I'm fairly certain (finally) that we'll get a Rubicon with saddle leather, in either Gobi or Gator. Hard top, not sure color yet. Need to get my motorcycle sold while still good weather. Plan to sell the Venza after placing the order for the JT. Keeping the Durango and Suburban.
Sponsored