Sponsored

Has anyone tapped into the camera input for the 7" Uconnect?

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
@eaglerugby04
i have considered one of those Chinese head units like hizpo or something but not sure how it would interface with all the inter connectivity of the jeep and how all the jeep stats/input can be shown on the screen.
yep not sure about the total Chinese ones, but the few ones made for jeeps look like they keep the jeep options while allowing full android.
Sponsored

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
It could be that my initial proposal is not explained well.

The only thing I plan to do to touch the default configuration on my 7" Uconnect unit is to interrupt the signal from the rear camera, and put in a different analog signal from a PI (which could be set to match). The PI would also be connected to a second Mopar rear camera (think the whole thing is about $180), but I would instead mount that camera facing forward and in the front grill. Same camera. Same output and rez. Flip the image using sofware on the PI.

This is all analog (so it appears), which carries a lot less potential for harm in ruggedized head units like you find in vehicles and certainly the Jeep. So, I'm not hacking or tapping into the head unit. Just switching the video source that will come in the single rear camera input to the head unit.....kinda like the old video RCA switches we used to have between VCR, TV, Cable to choose the source of video to the TV...back in the day.
Thant makes sense now. seems like it should work then provided the system doesn't freak out like crazy, which I cant imagine it would. You might even gain options like zoom on the camera since the JT would think its actually a rear cam.

GrubbyBaja

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 6-speed
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Sounds like an interesting project. How are you going to keep the rearview camera page active on the 7" Uconnect screen? I can activate my rearview camera while driving, but it times out after approximately 15 seconds and reverts back to the previous screen. There may be a setting to change this in the menu but I haven't looked for it yet.

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Man that's some heavy reading. Lost me somewhere on the second post of the first page. Y'all are a bunch of damn Jeep geeks. Must be electrical engineers or aerospace techs nuts?! :CWL: :CWL: :CWL:🤓🤓🤓

Sponsored

OP
OP
Eternity

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
I have the Tazer JL coming to work on the setting of things. I know that there is a default setting that allows it to automatically turn on when turning (I think)....or something like that. I will explore those settings.

JeepBeerSleep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Comms
what an interesting proposal. what does a final product look like? do you add a physical button/toggle to view the front cams video feed on the screen? or are you hijacking the display to add a front camera AND PI functionality? i have been wanting someone much smarter than myself to figure out how to monitor a front camera from the 7 inch screen.

OP
OP
Eternity

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
Are you sure the feed is analog, and not digital?
Not positive. Another person just posted that it is a standard video...but don't know if that is standard digital or analog. Either way, i can first test the camera with the PI to determine which input works and then know what signal to output from the PI

OP
OP
Eternity

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
do you add a physical button/toggle to view the front cams video feed on the screen? or are you hijacking the display to add a front camera AND PI functionality? i have been wanting someone much smarter than myself to figure out how to monitor a front camera from the 7 inch screen.
Yes, yes and Yes. I'm looking at just a simple physical button that would only switch between the actual existing rear camera to then show the PI and back again. Just switching a single wire or perhaps two. Need my Willys to be delivered to actually open things up and look and test. In the end, using an S-Tech button panel to replace my open tray at the bottom of the dash panel, I should be able to have a button to choose which source for the "Rear camera". The display will always say "rear camera", but I physically choose which source is going into the head unit.

Nickb1907

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Wrangler
Yes, yes and Yes. I'm looking at just a simple physical button that would only switch between the actual existing rear camera to then show the PI and back again. Just switching a single wire or perhaps two. Need my Willys to be delivered to actually open things up and look and test. In the end, using an S-Tech button panel to replace my open tray at the bottom of the dash panel, I should be able to have a button to choose which source for the "Rear camera". The display will always say "rear camera", but I physically choose which source is going into the head unit.
I hope you realize you will only be able to turn the OEM rear camera (or Pi video) on when the vehicle is in reverse or if you push the "rear camera" button in the screen settings. Even then it will only stay on for about 5-10 seconds.

For you to take that signal you will have to modify the harness off the radio since all other harnesses sold seem to add the "front" camera to the pinout. I think this is a simple cut, splice on two RCA connectors and then you could put an RCA splitter in like this.
http://www.customtronix.com/webshop...ing_wp_cron=1622831764.8402938842773437500000

I think you may want something like this. This should allow you to keep different video signals on indefinite.
http://www.customtronix.com/webshop/jailbreaker-enzo/

Sponsored

OP
OP
Eternity

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
I hope you realize you will only be able to turn the OEM rear camera (or Pi video) on when the vehicle is in reverse or if you push the "rear camera" button in the screen settings. Even then it will only stay on for about 5-10 seconds.
Do you have a Tazer? I read in the Tazer settings that I can enable to the rear camera while turn signals are on as a standard settings feature. I haven't bought anything yet, but will be exploring all the options. I will also see what Tazer makes available as a mod for the settings on the backup camera timer and when and how it can be shown. Before I buy anything, of course, I will verify that the backup camera settings can be modified to stay on.

The enzo appears to do what I want, but costs a lot and is more than I need and doesn't include a computer to use. Nice option perhaps if folks are looking for a single plug-n-play option. It also seems to have a footnote that it only works on 8.4", which is kinda is what I want to avoid having to upgrade to.

GrubbyBaja

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JTR, 6-speed
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Just pulled up the Tazer JL Mini instructions...looks like the "Live Function-Video" function will activate the rear camera.

OP
OP
Eternity

Eternity

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Diesel
Just pulled up the Tazer JL Mini instructions...looks like the "Live Function-Video" function will activate the rear camera.
Yeah, that is what I thought I saw, but will test once my Willys arrives...hopefully next week. Then I can confirm connectors, space, wiring, etc....

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
https://www.zautomotive.com/zpu/instructions/HDMI-AV-Kit.pdf
If I’m understanding you correctly this is all you need to do what you are trying to accomplish.

You can set the Tazer to turn on the cargo cam which will stay on when you go to it via the radio or using a set of tazer commands from the steering wheel.

I’m planning on doing this as well just haven’t gotten around to it.

JeepBeerSleep

Banned
Banned
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Diesel
Occupation
Comms
https://www.zautomotive.com/zpu/instructions/HDMI-AV-Kit.pdf
If I’m understanding you correctly this is all you need to do what you are trying to accomplish.

You can set the Tazer to turn on the cargo cam which will stay on when you go to it via the radio or using a set of tazer commands from the steering wheel.

I’m planning on doing this as well just haven’t gotten around to it.

That's for the bigger screen
Sponsored